On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Throwback Thursday to Now

Recently ... again ... in going through old things, I found the little white New Testament which my Granny gave me for my 12th birthday. It is worn, but I have treasured it because it was from her. She always encouraged us to memorize Scripture and one time she even offered me $20 to memorize all of Romans Chapter 12! Well, looking back, I can see the logic of memorizing that entire chapter because it is filled with so much good wisdom about living the Christian life. Even more importantly, I know my Granny knew the value of the Word of God and how it could impact a young girl who would be entering the teen years very soon. It is now one of my favorite chapters in the Bible. However, at the time, I didn't take her up on the offer. What was I thinking? ...  I never saw more than $2 at once until I began babysitting and earning money for myself. 


Dear Connie, Read a portion of this book every day - it is the "Book of Life" and will bring joy and peace into your heart and life. It is the pathway to heaven - a map to "hidden treasures" you might say. God bless you, Granny.




Above: Granny with my sister and me on my 7th birthday holding the Bible from my parents and wearing a pink dress from my Granny. God bless you, Granny.

Now we have grandkids and I want them to learn the value of and memorize Scripture. I have given them Bibles, but, knowing how kids can be kids busy with other things, a few weeks ago, I decided to make them a special offer. Three verses per week to memorize and $5 each will be theirs. They took me up on it, and each week I am receiving a phone call so I can listen to them recite! Brady memorizes his immediately and is ready, but this one is a little shy. Here is a clip from a video his mom sent to me of him reciting the verses. So far, both have done a great job! I am so proud of them!







6 comments:

shortybear said...

really enjoyed this post

Terri D said...

I had a Granny too, but she was not religious. I love what she wrote in your New Testament, and that you are passing along the wisdom of memorizing scriptures to your grands. Awesome!

Joy Junktion said...

What a precious memory. You are wise to help instill God's word into your own grandchildren. It is so important to keep His words near! Many blessings to you, Cindy xo

Breathing In Grace said...

I recently came across a Bible that my Daddy gave me when I was about 12....almost 50 years ago! WOW! My hubby and I are reading the Bible through this year and our oldest grandson told me last night (he'll be 10 in July) that he's started reading the Bible through, too. Warmed my heart. There's nothing in the world like grand babies! ;-)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

How awesome! My parents were active church goers but the Bible was never preached to me or read to me in our home. I didn't know God personally until I was in my 40's.

Blogger said...

Just received a cheque for $500.

Sometimes people don't believe me when I tell them about how much money you can earn taking paid surveys online...

So I show them a video of myself actually getting paid $500 for participating in paid surveys to set the record straight once and for all.