On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Thursday, April 21, 2016

50's Road Trips Throwback Thursday



"Please, oh please! Say it isn't so!"



I have no idea why my cousin is covering his ears and I am in the car smiling. I also am not sure whether the baby Mom is holding is my brother, Phil, who had been born in March of 58. 

Going through photos the other day, I ran across this little group of pics. Do you remember when photos were put together similar to spiral notebooks? This photo brought back memories of the road trip taken one summer in the 57 Chevy pictured here. Would you believe my Dad, Mom, sister, me, my baby brother ... wait, there are more ... my uncle, his wife, and their son, (the one covering his ears) all of us! Yes, all eight of us rode in that Chevy from Northwest Arkansas to Illinois!

I was probably 10 or 11 years old and remember driving through the night non-stop. Well, except for those few necessary pit stops you have to make when traveling with two women and that many children in one car.

Other details of the trip aren't really necessary. It is simply amazing to me that in our world today of SUV's that are loaded down with all our stuff -- just for the two of us -- and that car held all of us, plus suitcases, baby gear and who knows what else. No AC in the middle of summer so more than likely the windows were rolled down! Yikes! All those hot, sweaty bodies. My memory isn't serving me well on this one. I am wondering whether my brother and little Lonnie Wayne (my cousin) slept through all this. Did my sister and I whine? However did Mom manage with diapers for the baby, and cloth diapers at that? Did Mother and Aunt Dolly complain? Did Daddy and Uncle Sonny take turns driving? 

Other than the fact that we survived that Road Trip and others like it, one thing I know for sure. If anyone were to suggest I take a trip like that now, I too would be covering my ears!!! 



6 comments:

Linda Kay said...

Funny story, and I remember those road trips very well. The trip from my home in Illinois to the Ozarks for our one week of summer vacation was probably at least six hours, but seemed like a lifetime! We had a station wagon, my folks, three brothers and me.

Terri D said...

LOL - yes, I remember that kind of road trip. No way could we get away with it today. Too many laws about seat belts and child seats and # of passengers allowed. But those really were "the days" and back then it's what we had! Great post!

shortybear said...

lol, funny

Visits With Mary said...

Cute story, I love old pictures and the memories they bring to mind.

Joy Junktion said...

Wow, do I remember those road trips! But mostly, our family all jumped in the back of the camper and bounced around while driving over dirt roads and sand dunes! What joy, what trauma! HA - great memories! Blessings, Cindy xo

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I do remember some road trips or at least bits and pieces. My parents drove us from Illinois to California. I love your photos. You make me want to go through all of mine!!!