On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Hodgepodge

Here we are again ready for another Wednesday Hodgepodge! You can join in the fun right here with Joyce and the others. Thank you, Joyce. 



1. What's the last thing you did that could be described as 'taxing'?

Preparing our taxes. It was my first time EV-ER!!! For reasons I won’t go into, DH did not do them this year, although he was at my side to assist me. There are many (gobs of things) things I don’t understand about income taxes and even with Quicken to guide me through, I still had questions. Thankfully, these issues were resolved, taxes were filed, and money owing is scheduled to pay today or tomorrow. BIG ACCOMPLISHMENT for moi!

2. If you could plant a garden of anything, what would be in it?

It would be wonderful to have a garden filled with luscious vegetables on one side – several varieties of beans, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, okra, maybe some watermelon, herbs, peppers and so on. On the other half of the garden, I would have beds of sun-loving colorful flowers, zinnias, daisies, roses, marigolds, scarlet sage and hibiscus.

But then again, how about a lovely garden where I would be surrounded with lush greenery, a gazebo, a comfortable bench on which to sit and read or meditate, taking in all the scents of the roses, enjoying the quiet of the morning or a sunny afternoon, free from insects, listening to the comforting sound of water falling into a pond. Ahhh. What a fabulous garden that would be!



3. April 10-16 is National Library Week...will you celebrate with a visit to your nearest library? When did you last make a trip to the library? What are you reading right now? What's one title on your want-to-read list?

I seldom visit the library, although I used to weekly. My last visit would have been maybe a year ago as I was trying to figure out how to check out books online. I buy books for my Kindle, books to stack around me in my favorite chair, and audio books. Right now, DH and I are listening to Light from Heaven by Jan Karon. We love her books, but this will be the last one. Anybody have any recommendations for something close to the goodness of her books? Facebook continues to alert me to a book I need to check out, but I can’t remember the name. And today, a friend recommended a series by Karen Kingsbury about angels, which I may look into.

4. Share a saying or an old wives tale you heard while growing up, you believed to be true or that you paid attention to 'just in case'?

Step on a crack, break your mother’s back. I never believed it even as a child, but, just in case, and out of love and respect for my sweet mother, I always stepped over the cracks, and still find myself doing that. Another one was that you don’t have milk and fish at the same meal. ???

5. Are you a fan of onions? Garlic? Ginger? What's a dish you love that contains one, two or all three items listed?

If ground ginger counts, then it would be summer vegetables – a mixture of yellow squash, zucchini, onions, garlic, green and red peppers, all sautéed in butter and ginger.

6.  Where does nurturing end and indulging begin?

Nurturing is to care for and love someone, encouraging them and teaching life skills to be independent and handle responsibility and emotions. Nurturing them with love and affection while simultaneously teaching them that life isn’t all about them; to nurture them so they know they are valued, and to learn to value others. Indulging is to allow them and their needs to be central to everything, to try to satisfy all their needs with other means, such as money, possessions, and making excuses for their wrong behaviors. Sometimes I think people indulge out of guilt or their own lack of responsibility and their own laziness to teach, i.e., it’s easier to indulge than to nurture. Honestly, I think this question deserves more than I can give today.



What are some skills or qualities you think a person needs to possess in order to be viewed as mature?

To be kind, to be discerning, to give thought to your words and how you respond. To learn how to respond to life situations without responding in anger or manipulation, to judge fairly, to handle money and power wisely, to not use or manipulate people with emotions or anger.

I look forward to reading others' answers as I know I will gain wisdom on this!

7. What leading figure in any field would you like to hear speak, and why?

Anne Graham Lotz – a powerfully sincere, outspoken woman who doesn’t shy away from what is or isn’t politically correct. We need more like her.

8. Insert your own random thought here.


Even the weeds alongside the road have
beauty in the Spring.

It’s supper time (as they say where I come from) as I’m trying to answer these questions. I had in mind what we would have, but now I’m not hungry. I took Zyrtec this morning for allergies and just feel blah! My mind is also elsewhere thinking about the early morning appointment for DH's CT scan tomorrow and what the outcome will be. 

I also wish I could figure out why the line spacing is sometimes a problem in my blogs and how I might resolve it more easily.



17 comments:

Preppy Empty Nester said...

You have the prettiest weeds in your part of the world! I know that Zyrtek blah feeling - hope you feel better soon.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Loved your post. 1,2,4 were my favorite responses. I hope you have a great Wednesday!

Anonymous said...

I thought your answers to #6 were very good!
Congrats to you for filing your taxes yourself! I haven't tried that, yet.
Hoping hubby gets a good report on his CT scan.
Kathy (Reflections)

Theresa said...

I avoided walking on the cracks too because of that saying! Praying for good results from the CT scan.

Susie said...

We always hire a CPA to do our taxes...I would hate to think of the mistakes I might make. Just trying to keep all the right records thru the years is enough for me. Blessings to you Nonnie., xoxo, Susie

Linda Kay said...

I still try to walk between the cracks in the sidewalk, sort of a challenge, but probably from childhood. I'm for the second kind of garden you mentioned!

April said...

Your answer to #6 was spot on! Will say a prayer for your hubby's scan to come back good tomorrow. Keep the faith!

Joyce said...

I do hope your hubs gets a good report. I will add you both to my prayers this week. Our taxes are so complicated...pretty sure even the accountant agrees. Ugh! I've never heard the fish and milk tale, but that doesn't sound like something I'd do so I won't worry : )

Visits With Mary said...

As I read your answers I realized how much we 'think' the same. I just did our taxes, grrrrr, I would love a garden like the one you mentioned and I really enjoy Anne Graham Lotz. Her teachings really touch my heart. Have a great Wednesday!

Cheryl said...

I had the same answer on the old wives tale! I also remember that we weren't allowed to have fish and milk together either...haha Have a great day!

Aloha Acres said...

Beautiful weeds!

Praying for DH and his test tomorrow.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I've never done our taxes and I have no plans on learning anytime soon. If the time comes I would definitely hire someone to do them. I remember trying not to step on the cracks of the sidewalk. I love sauteed veggies. Yes those weeds are lovely.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

Thinking about DH today and that he has probably already had his scan. Trusting that all will be well. I could respond to all of your answers today, but suffice it to say, again we pretty much agree on each of them. I could have said the kind of garden I want is one someone else takes care of.

Terri D said...

I love Jan Karon's books too! Enjoyed your Hodgepodge!

shortybear said...

liked your answers

Carla from The River said...

Hi,
I think you did well with #6!
I like Jan Karon too. :-)
Have a great weekend,
Carla

Hatjuggler said...

Loved your definitions. As far as suggested reading...have you guys read aloud the Anne of Green Gables series? Jay might enjoy them if he likes the Jan Karon books. I just finished the Mitford series this year as well. I hadn't realized she wrote two more, and was able to download them both onto my Kindle from local libraries. Like you, I mostly use my libraries for their e-books now. I go around collecting memberships throughout the metroplex; this makes it easier to find what I'm wanting.