On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

April Hodgepodge

Joyce is back this week with questions for us on this last Wednesday of April! It's fun and you can join in right here with your own answers!



1. This is the last Hodgepodge in April. Share something you learned this month. 

I learned things about aneurysms, surgeries and memory loss I didn't really ever think I would need to know. 

2.  It's National Poetry Month, and we all know you can't escape an April Hodgepodge without a little poetry. Keeping the first line as is, change the rest of the wording in this familiar rhyme to make it your own - 'Hickory Dickory Dock...

Hickory dickory dock
I think I'd like a new frock.
But wouldn't you know,
The checkbook is low,
And that's why I'm gonna balk. 

3. What were one or two rules in the home you grew up in? 

No dating until you are 16. 

Growing up, did you feel your parents were strict?  Yes.

Looking back do you still see it that way? 

In some ways, yes, I think they were over-protective, which caused me to break some of the rules and do a few things I shouldn't have. However, the boundaries were clear and I am very thankful now that my parents were strict and I am able to understand their reasons as well as their fears much more. 

4. Tell us about a kitchen or cooking disaster or mishap you've experienced. Do you have many from which to choose? 

Having invited friends at the last minute to come share a chicken pot pie with us, of course, there was a mishap with the deep dish frozen pie crust. It turned out to be way too small for the filling and having put all ingredients in and already pouring the sauce, I had an overflow going. Not pouring in all the sauce would have produced a very dry pie. So, I quickly pulled out two refrigerated crusts and rolled them thin to fit a 10 inch pie plate and discovered how to make a much nicer and bigger pie with that recipe. The mishap turned out great! 

The funnier one though was the time I turned my back on a skillet with vegetable oil. As I peeled potatoes, I heard a noise and turned around and saw flames coming up. Not wanting to mess up my kitchen by throwing flour on it, I grabbed a cookie sheet to smother the fire. While all this was going on, my husband was upstairs and I was yelling help. He didn't come! When he finally did come and I asked him if he heard me yelling help, he said no. When I told him about what happened, his response (as a fireman) was you never yell help - always yell "Fire"!!! Thanks a lot!

5. Plant a kiss, plant doubt, plant a tree, plant yourself somewhere...which on the list have you most recently planted? 

A kiss on my DH today, as is my habit!

But also a happy birthday kiss was planted this past weekend on this sweet boy's cheek. 


6. What's your most worn item of clothing this time of year? 

Black slacks. 

Are you tired of it? 

Yes. But black pants are a staple and until summer is here and I wear capris more, the black pants will remain the most worn. 

7. I'm wrapping up the A-Z Blog Challenge this month and our Hodgepodge lands on letter W. What's one word beginning with W that describes you in some way? 

At this time, it would have to be waiting. I am waiting for answers, waiting to hear from certain people, waiting to see what will be happening in the next few weeks. 


These days we do have a little something 
with which to occupy ourselves while we wait!!!! 

How about a word to describe your home, also beginning with W?

Wet, but wonderful. This time of year the yard is at its best and I love the view out the window of the green, green grass, the bright red roses, the flower pots with blooming plants, the beautiful sunrises and sunsets, and enjoying the rains. 

 Morning sky

Peonies blooming

8. Insert your own random thought here. 

Another descriptive W word for me right now would be the word wistful. Question number 3 has triggered that wistful feeling and wishing there could have been better communication between my parents and me. Ahhh ... Mom and Dad. They probably wished for the same thing. Sigh.




12 comments:

Susie said...

Nonnie, I loved all your pictures. My parents were strict also. We survived and learned from it all. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Unknown said...

Yes, your photos are beautiful! The birthday boy looks super happy and super cute. Have an awesome week!

Cranberry Morning said...

I am sure that many of us wish for a better relationship with our parents or a parent, maybe that we'd done things a bit differently or had seen their side more clearly. There's so much we don't understand until we're older and have our own families. I enjoyed reading about your quick thinking and improvisation with your kitchen 'disaster.' :-))

Joyce said...

Peonies are my favorite. Happy birthday to the birthday boy!

Theresa said...

It is so funny to see people in a waiting room now. No one looks at each other, everyone is on their phone or devices. Your husband's answer is so funny!

maddie/cadesmimi said...

You wrote a good rhyme! I love it. Loved your kitchen stories, and am so glad both had happy endings :)
Kathy (Reflections)

Visits With Mary said...

I enjoyed your poem, made me laugh! And that sunrise picture is beautiful!

Terri D said...

I loved your poem!! The best one yet, I think! Cute photo of your birthday boy, and who could resist kissing that face! It was another fun Hodgepodge!!

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

Love your poem and LOVE the peonies!! Mine are nowhere to be seen. Spring is moving slowly here in The Mitten!

shortybear said...

good post

Karen said...

I enjoyed your hodgepodge, especially the grease fire. Early one morning as I drove to work, I saw a young man run out his front door holding a flaming skillet - he didn't have on a stitch of clothes!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Enjoyed your poem. Glad your mishap turned out great! Love the sky and the flowers photos.