On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Wednesday Medley for Thanksgiving

We are giving thanks this week for a holiday designated for one special reason: giving thanks.

1. What’s your favorite Thanksgiving food?

Dressing smothered with turkey gravy. It counts as one as they blend together in pure deliciousness!




2. What’s the happiest Thanksgiving memory of your childhood?

That is so funny you would ask! In all my black and white memories, I cannot recall the happiest of Thanksgivings as a child. The answer would have to be all the adults gathered round my Granny's table and us grandkids at the kids' table in the kitchen with them. Lots of excited talking and instructions on where to sit and have a little more of this or that and the prayers offered up in blessing and thanks. Others include playing in the leaves on the hill beside my cousins' house and a very vague memory of seeing my mother wring the neck of a turkey! I sure wish I knew all the details of that last memory! I was only around six years old, so I may have blocked the rest of the memory from my mind! 😂 It was probably not a happy memory … especially for the turkey … but then, he really has no memory at all.

3. Who is the most consistently grateful person you know?
This is a tough one because all my family and friends are grateful and express gratitude often. We even share often about our gratitude. But if I must narrow it down to one person, it would be my brother. He has much to be thankful for and never  ceases to give God thanks. 

4. If you could thank one person today—near or far, living or dead—for their influence on your life, who would that person be? It would be my mother who directed me to Jesus and lived a life displaying the fruit of the Spirit.




My great-uncle Norman wrote the above little poem about his Mother, my great-grandmother Upjohn. It fits my mother to a "T"!!

5. Who’s one person you’ve never fully thanked for their contribution to your life, but would like to?
I wish I had thanked my Dad more.

6. Tell us something random about your Thanksgiving week.

Jack was here Monday after spending the night Sunday. We had taken him, Kate and Amy to see The Grinch, which was a fun movie. 




I had a follow-up appointment Tuesday morning with my breast surgeon and that makes 13 years out now, for which I am extremely thankful! I roasted three turkey legs this afternoon and made my turkey gravy, which turned out great. Thank you, Joyce From This Side of the Pond. Tomorrow I will get the ham, make pumpkin pie,and mashed potatoes for our Thanksgiving Feast on Thursday! And then ... serious thoughts about a diet. No Black Friday for me.



12 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

Did Jack manage to wrap himself around that huge cone? What a cute picture! I'm with you on the stuffing and gravy!! And such a great idea to make the gravy a bit ahead. I might still like to stir it into the drippings in the roaster, however. Oh this is making me hungry and we've already celebrated our Thanksgiving, back in October! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Mevely317 said...

What lovely expressions!
I don't recall dressing being a favorite, but man … that picture, smothered in gravy? My taste buds are spitting and it's not even 8AM!

Wishing you many Thanksgiving blessings and stretchy waistlines! :)

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

What a sweet poem written by your uncle and that you still have it is amazing. Godly parents who passed on the legacy they themselves inherited is perhaps the greatest blessing one can be given. I will forever be grateful for that as well. And as I look at my children who are demonstrating a life of faith for their children, brings me the greatest joy. Hope you have a most enjoyable day with your family tomorrow.

ellen b. said...

Love that poem your Great Uncle Norman wrote. Thanks for sharing it. What a blessing to have Christ at the center of a family. Your Thanksgiving Medley has added to my thankfulness and gratitude. Thank you. A very happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Visits With Mary said...

Enjoyed reading your Thanksgiving memories! Happy Thanksgiving.

Lori said...

My favorite memories are with my Grandparents also, I am reading that a lot today. They are just so special! I enjoyed your answers! Happy Thanksgiving

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Terri D said...

Dressing covered in gravy... oh my!! Thanks so much for joining the Medley today!! I enjoyed reading your answers and especially the memories! I wish you and yours a blessed and happy Thanksgiving!

krishna said...

I love your childhood memory, that is very sweet.

Please visit: https://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com/

Karen said...

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day! God bless you.

Chatty Crone said...

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving today.

I love stuffing and gravy as well.
I bet with your childhood you had a lot of wonderful Thanksgivings to remember.
I guess my brother would be the one in the family that was always happy and loved people - I missed him.
I too wish I could thank my mother for teaching me to be a Christian.
So you took your kids to see the Grinch? Did they like it - we went - it was a much more kids themed show than the last one.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Love,sandie

Annsterw said...

Jack is so adorable!!!! Your mother sounds like an amazing person!! Hugs