On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

A Southern Hodgepodge

Hodgepodge Fun!


1. Can you believe we're rolling in to the Labor Day weekend?

No, I cannot! What happened to this year? 



I know that technically summer isn't over until later in September, however, for kids who are back in school, vacations, and water parks, it is bye-bye Summer!

What's a project you'll labor over this fall?
I don't have any projects lined up here at home, but I would like to get serious about clearing out closets and getting rid of unnecessary items in our house, attic and garage.

2. Tell us about the best perks you ever had in a job?

Aside from my insurance and vacations, I enjoyed the comp meals when I worked for Brinker International, but I think my favorite perks were when I worked in the home of the founder/CSO for a ministry in Dallas. My work area in my office was surrounded by Christian books all of which I had free access. Also, being so close with my boss over the years I learned much about ministering and counseling gently to other people ... I still have a long ways to go!

3. August 31st is National South Carolina Day. Have you ever been to SC? Yes. Any desire to go? According to Southern Living, these are the top ten things to do in South Carolina...

Explore Charleston, bike, golf or relax on Hilton Head Island, see the beach and the boardwalk at Myrtle Beach, visit the state museum in the capital city Columbia, observe the wildlife and natural beauty of the Ace Basin, take a walk or hop on a trolley and check out Greenville's charming main street, visit Fort Sumter where the Civil War began, stroll through Pearl Fryar's Topiary Garden in Bishopville leaving time to check out The Button Museum, also in Bishopville, see Morgan Island (also known as Monkey Island)-home to nearly 4000 Rhesus monkeys.

We visited South Carolina a few years ago. One of my favorite places we visited was Middleton Place. It was beautiful, interesting, and a very tranquil place.




Which is most appealing to you today? If you're a SC native, resident, or frequent visitor what would you add to the list?

Nothing could be finer than to return and visit the places on your list which we did not see. Our trip there was much too brief.  

4. Beef, pork, country-style, barbecued, baby back, spare or short...your favorite kind of rib? Barbecued baby back ribs. I don't eat ribs but maybe once a year.

What's a dish you enjoy that really 'sticks to your ribs'?
A bowl of oatmeal loaded with walnuts, raisins, butter and brown sugar!

5. What's one important skill you think every person should have? Listening.
Why? Everybody can talk. Listening carefully makes you a much better communicator when you do speak.

"Don't ever forget that it is best to listen much, speak little, and not become angry."
James 1:19 TLB



6. Insert your own random thought here.

What can anybody say that hasn't been said about Hurricane Harvey? I read carefully the ways to help and I have done what I can. It just isn't enough. Praying for the people of Houston and those who have gone there personally to help. God bless them and protect them.


Heroes

When our son isn't on duty as firefighter, he teaches and trains the ones who do water rescue. He said two task forces were deployed a week ago from Dallas and that one team pulled over 800 people out yesterday alone. 


Here they are training.




13 comments:

Linda said...

I enjoyed your answers. My husband served on the National Disaster team as a chaplain. I'll tell you, it takes a special person to do any service job (fireman, policeman, chaplain etc). God Bless them.

Cranberry Morning said...

It is almost unimaginable what the people of Houston are going through. God bless all who are there on the ground helping out and organizations who have opened their doors to be used as shelters during this disaster.

Joyce said...

I haven't been to Middleton Place yet, but it's on my list. Wow, 800 people! The numbers are staggering. So thankful for all the people dedicated to the efforts.

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

The pictures of water rescue are interesting. I didn't know that training like that was done. I can only imagine how much more well-prepared people are in disaster situations like what's happening in Texas. It sounds like your work in the ministry was rewarding and meaningful on many different levels. Hope you have a great week!

maddie/cadesmimi said...

I loved all of your answers today, and your pictures of Middleton Place are beautiful.
I'd never thought about "water rescue" training, but God bless those who do it. Praying for those affected by hurricane Harvey.
Kathy (Reflections)

Suzanne McClendon said...

Having access to great books is a wonderful perk, in my opinion. :)

Middleton Place is beautiful. I enjoyed your pictures. I've never been, but want to go there some day. I lived in SC the first 39 years of my life, but there was so much that I never got to see.

Thank you for the prayers for our area. We appreciate them very much.

I enjoyed your post. Have a blessed day.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

Interesting that we both have visited Middleton Place. Wasn't it beautiful! So much to see and enjoy in SC. I watched footage yesterday of a man swimming in the deep water and thought about those who are responsible for rescuing them. Little did I know one would be your son. What a way to serve. Loved visiting with you today.

Susie said...

Nonnie, I loved your photos. So scary what has happened due to the storms. So thankful for the first responders. Blessings for a great weekend. I always feel once kids go to school...goodbye summer...I plan to squeeze all the sweetness out of each very last day of summer. LOL. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Visits With Mary said...

I would love to visit South Carolina! I'm here in the middle of all the devastation from Harvey, my heart hurts for those who lost so much. I am so thankful that I did not get any flood waters in my home.

Chatty Crone said...

I love your photos! And I too feel the deepest sympathy for Texas - worst disaster ever. I pray and sent money but I wish I could do something else. I hear Charleston is beautiful - have you been there? Enjoyed learning more about you! sandie

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, we loved Middleton Place as well. We thoroughly enjoyed Charleston and would love to go back.

Yes, listening is so important and someone once said, listening is more important than talking, that's why the Lord gave us two ears and one mouth. I'm sure that's right!

Jill said...

I enjoyed reading your answers. I hope you are having a great week!

Blessings,
Jill

David E. McClendon, Sr. said...

Thank you for the prayers for our area. Our town is underwater and/or without power. We are lucky. We are not underwater and we never lost power. Middleton Place was featured in the most recent Liz Talbot Mystery. You might want to check it out.

Have a great week.