On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Friday, August 24, 2018

Saturday 9: Think

Welcome to Saturday: 9. This is a fun meme with 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. Copy the questions on your post, answer, and link up with Sam at Saturday 9.


Think (1968)
Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.
In fond remembrance of The Queen of Soul (1942-2018).

Aretha Franklin was one of my favorites of the Motown Singers, and Marvin Gaye with her. What fantastic music from them!

1) As befits one of America's premiere artists, Aretha Franklin sang at three Presidential inaugurations. The first was Jimmy Carter's in 1977, when she sang "God Bless America." What's your favorite patriotic song? 

I think I like God Bless America and America the Beautiful equally. Our National Anthem still gives me chills, though. I'm sorry there is such a flak about it.

2) The daughter of a Baptist minister, Aretha grew up with church music. She told Rolling Stone one of her favorite songs was the hymn, "Victory Is Mine." What's your favorite religious song? 

Way too many, but Victory in Jesus is always one at the top of the list. In Christ Alone.

3) She welled up a bit when President George H. W. Bush presented her with the nation's highest civilian award, the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005. When is the last time you shed a tear?

While going through some old pictures which stirred up both sweet and sad memories.

4) In 1980, the Queen of Soul sang for the Queen of England in a Command Performance at The Royal Albert Hall. Have you ever been to London? 

Yes. We visited at the end of May, 2002 and enjoyed it very much. It was windy, cold and rainy, but on the days we visited the Cotswolds and Windsor Castle, the sun came out and it was quite nice.

5) Since Aretha had many honorary degrees, it would have been appropriate to refer to her as Dr. Franklin. Who is the last person you referred to by his or her title (Officer, Father, Sgt., Dr., etc.)?
My husband's doctor.

6) In this week's song, Aretha tells her lover that it doesn't take a high IQ to understand what's going on in their relationship. Do you know your IQ? I think I do!

7) A sculpture of Aretha is on display at Madame Tussaud's in New York. Do you think wax museums are cool, or creepy?

They can be kind of fun, although some parts are a little creepy. And surprise, surprise, here I am with Aretha herself!


well, sort of!

DH did not get the memo for what to wear to this meeting.

Brother Phil standing behind General Eisenhower.

And Susan, my sis-in-law with the Kennedys.

8) Aretha and Motown legend Smokey Robinson were literally lifelong friends, since they were playground buddies in Detroit. Smokey is one of the only people who can claim to have seen The Queen of Soul with a bucket in a sandbox. If we went to the playground today, would you head for the swings, the slide or the jungle gym? Or, like Aretha, would you play in the sand?
I will go for the swings.

9) Random question: Do you like pumpkin seeds?
I do. And they are good for you.

12 comments:

Stacy said...

It looks like you all had a lot of fun at the wax museum! Your hubby does look just a tad under dressed for that meeting. LOL Have a wonderful day!

The Gal Herself said...

I went to the Madame Tussauds' in Vegas and had my picture taken with Elvis! So yes, those places can be great fun (while being creepy at the same time). BTW, is that Julie Andrews photo bombing you and Aretha?

Lori said...

The wax museum looks like so much fun!
I love The National Anthem too and Victory is Jesus is so good! Great choices!
Have a nice weekend! Loved all of your answers!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Kwizgiver said...

Such fun wax museum photos!

Visits With Mary said...

Victory in Jesus is one of my favorites too!!

Terri D said...

What fun to have those photos in a wax museum!! I loved Aretha too. And I've always been a Motown fan, though she was never signed with Motown. I believe I read she signed with Columbia Records because she thought Motown wasn't big enough. I have never been to England and probably never will, but I'm sure it is interesting and beautiful.

CountryDew said...

Cool pictures of being in a wax museum.

Mevely317 said...

I've never had a desire to visit a wax museum; but now, these pictures … hmmm. Slide #2 is hysterical!

I am Harriet said...

I've thought about taking one of those English tours. Especially now that they are talking about a Downton Abby movie.

Annie said...

I went to a wax museum in Niagara Falls and it was great!
I would love to see the Cotswold.
Enjoyed learning more about you :)

zippiknits...sometimes said...

those wax museum photos are priceless!
I still can't look at the photo albums.
You got to see London at it's rainy best. and....
I.Q. is just a number. Right? I think I like 829 for mine. lol

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Hi, there! Look at all those wax museum photos! I really need to go to one, I think it would be fun. Thanks for stopping by my blog -- come by anytime!