On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Losses

This past few days have been a bit of a downer and while I was glad to get the mammogram out of the way and know that is one I don't have to think about for another year, I then had to take DH on Friday for a CT scan and follow-up with the vascular surgeon. Going into Dallas is always a stressful drive, but I pray the angels guard us all around and we arrive safe to our destination and back home. One little wrong turn after we arrived and I was in a maze, but we still found our way. It took three hours to do everything and I could tell by the doctor's very careful explanation that he knew we would need to really absorb what he was saying. Long story short, the stent is still in place, but there is a leak into the aneurysm and it is growing. Soooooooo, something will need to be done.

Following that, on our way home, we stopped at the motorcycle place to turn over the title and the extra key and pick up the check in payment of it. The repairs were just going to be extensive and to think of having it repaired, then bringing it home to try to sell it or let it just sit in the garage for the next few years wasn't going to happen. Seriously, DH's grief over the loss made me so sad, I wanted to weep. But I didn't. I couldn't. So we drove home and it was sad and he could not sleep all night for thinking about it and also what the doctor had told us. 

On top of that, while we were at the doctor, I received a call that my dear friend might not have much longer to live and her son was calling a limited number of people to please come visit. And so I did visit her on Saturday morning. I stopped by on my way to pick up flowers. She is in much pain and non-responsive to everyone.

I took this picture of the flowers in the car. 
I loved the sunflowers and the cheerful pitcher.

For my DH, the loss of the things he enjoyed were more than the loss of possessions. It means the loss of his dreams, his freedom, the fun he enjoyed as a man of adventures. He had told me before that when he flew, it brought tears to his eyes. And all these things now just aren't possible for him. So I am thinking maybe for his birthday, I might arrange for him to fly with one of his buddies. We will see.

For my friend, she wasn't willing to give up on her dreams either. Having only recently retired, and knowing her cancer was serious, she still had made plans for a trip to Africa! After spending her life in service to her employer, her family and friends, she was going with friends on an exciting adventure which now will not be happening, and more than likely, she will be in hospice.

All of these things are heartbreaking to me and I feel helpless, but I know I can trust my God and know that He is in control of all things. He is there for us, and He will take care of us. I will wait on Him and see what wonderful things He will do.











10 comments:

Terri D said...

Oh, dear friend. My heart is so heavy for you and your DH and your dear friend. I will keep you all in prayer. You are right to trust in your faith in God. I wish I could pop over and give you a hug.

Chatty Crone said...

Are you really going to a great doctor and hospital - makes a world of difference? I told you my mom went through that and had a kidney removed in the same surgery - it was rough, but I believe he can do it - it will be scary I know. I am so sorry. She had it done at Emory.

Also I am sorry about your dear friend - made a trip to go to Africa - I think that is cool.

I will go to bed shortly and pray.

God is hugging all of you. sandie

Aritha V. said...

Praying for you.

Susie said...

Nonnie, Sending big hugs to you. You are being strong for everyone. I hope you can have some time for you. I am so thankful you believe. I know that sense of lost freedom that DH is feeling. The wild fun things of our healthier younger days, now gone. But we have those memories. Praying DH can get his health restored. It's top most . You are both in my prayers. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

My heart is heavy after reading your post, not because it was necessarily sad, although it was, but because I can see and feel the pain your own heart is experiencing right now. One person's loss becomes another's doesn't it. I am so sorry to hear that your friend's dream will not come to fruition, but my prayer is that she will be going to a much more wonderful place. My sister shared with me this morning her own husband's response to them selling his truck that he can no longer drive due to Parkinsons. That loss of independence and dreams for a man must be so very hard. I think your idea for a flight might be a good one for your DH, but you will know. I so admire the strength and patience you and my sister exhibit in these difficult times. May God's strength continue to undergird you on this new path.

Mevely317 said...

Oh, what burdens you're experiencing … I'm so very sorry. In spite of her non-responsiveness, I believe in some small part of her being, your friend knew you were there.

A birthday flight sounds like a splendid idea!
Sending prayers … and a hug, for good measure!

Jill said...

Nonnie,

My heart goes out to you and your family... and also to your friend and her family.... I can never understand why life can be so unfair at times as I've experienced a lot of stressful things here lately too. We just have to live fully every day... enjoy every moment we have with one another and take time to follow some dreams. I will be saying prayers for all of you. Big hugs!

Blessings,
Jill

Bobbie said...

Love the scripture!! Perfect! I will be praying for you guys.. it's a sad time in our lives when we have to start to give up those things that we love and enjoy doing... We are slowly seeing it as we age as well... God bless!

Joyce said...

So sorry for all your pain and loss. I am praying you find peace in the midst of this new trial and a good outcome for your hubs. Take care.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

My heart aches for you. ((Hugs)) I pray that your DH gets the needed repairs soon. Sorry for the things he must let go of. I have him in my prayers. I am so sorry to hear about your friend and the trip she can no longer take. I know God has a plan for each of us but living here on earth and surviving through loss can be unbearable. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Debby