On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Black and White Memories

I am happy to link up with Teri today for fun with our old photos! Thank you, Teri! I love it!

This is my Aunt Nancy holding me and loving on her dog. The house behind her is where my Granny and Grandad lived after they moved away from their farm on a mountain not too far away. I don't know how they survived the times they did. They left the farm because my Grandad lost his leg in a mowing accident. It was extremely hard for my Granny and my mom and siblings to manage after that. Mother had to quit high school in 11th grade. So they moved to this little place, and if you notice to the side there, the rock building was a garage with an apartment above. My Mom and Dad lived in that little apartment and I was born there. 

Granny and Grandad were sweet on each other since they were 10 years old.
You can see he has a peg leg here. He got an artificial limb later.





The remains of the little house after a fire which caused severe injuries to my Dad as he had been lighting the fireplace. The house went up quickly and thank You to the Lord that after my Mom had run out after my Dad in a panic, she came back into the burning house to rescue me. My Dad was on fire and some people passing by got an ambulance to come get my Dad away to the hospital. He was in the VA hospital for several months and my Mom had to go to work in a canning factory to help support. My Granny and Grandad lived in that little apartment and then moved to another nearby town in a much nicer home which I remember from my childhood and have very good memories there. 

Me running out to see my Granny and Uncle Sonny

I guess we maybe were all accidents waiting to happen because as much as I loved Granny and Grandad's new home, one night I fell in the bedroom slashing my eye on the woodwork and had to be taken to the ER for seven stitches!! Thank the Lord I did not injure my eye!





11 comments:

Karen said...

It's wonderful that you still have those photos. I am thankful you all survived the fire.

Chatty Crone said...

You know I have been reading some other people's background and yours - and man I can see why you are the strong woman I see and know today.
Gosh your grandfather lost his leg - your dad was burned, but they all rose above it. Still loved. Very impressive. sandie

Visits With Mary said...

I really enjoyed the black and whites, and hearing some of your family history. Those were some really bad accidents your family overcame. You come from a strong family.

Dianna said...

I so enjoyed learning more about your family here today, Connie. Loved the pictures of your grandparents together and how they were so in love. You were a cute little one yourself! xx

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you Nonnie for visiting my Blog. Much appreciated. Please call again.

I have responded about the lyrics to the song here: https://timeforreflections.blogspot.com/2010/03/memories-memories.html?showComment=1533154186852#c8320798065790710385

God bless you always.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

You are so right. Isn't it a wonder how our parents and grandparents survived but then again, so had their parents with even less perhaps. We have so much for which to be grateful and we tend to take it all so for granted. I really enjoyed seeing these pictures and learning some of your family history. The love between your grandparents is so evident and that is the blessing passed down to you.

Susie said...

Nonnie, Thank the Lord, your grandparents had a great love for one another. You mother and father too. I love seeing old black and white photos. I really hate that people have hard lives, but I think it somehow makes us stronger. Blessings to you and your family, xoxo, Susie

Terri D said...

I just enjoyed this post so much! Thanks for joining in on this new meme! Your granny looks like she is happy and had to be an optimist to get through all that life threw at her!! I think you were blessed! Thanks again for joining in and linking up with your black & white photos and precious memories!

Sandi said...

Heartbreaking....and horrifying...but glad everyone was ok.

Stacy said...

Such wonderful pictures! Thank you for sharing them and your memories. Your family are the kind of people who made America a great country. Such strength and perseverance!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That was fun. I love old photos. So glad your mom saved it. That had to be terrible losing the house.