On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Makin' a List! Checking things off!

Jack came over on Tuesday with a to-do list for the day. It was right here in this little journal. 


I didn't take a pic of his actual list, but did sneak a peek.

Go to the park,
walk the dog,
hot tub,
go to the mall,
have Dipping Dots, 



eat pretzels, (added as we went along)
ride the carousel, 

I rode the horse beside him and watched him show off!

Last on the list was to buy something. We walked all around the mall and he made inquiries at different places, inspected possibilities, and finally decided upon a Dallas Cowboys phone case.

Yes, each thing that was done, he checked off his list. Well, the hot tub was off and then on again. 


He's already planning what to buy on our next trip to the mall.

That boy.

So cute!

Kate and Noah are spending the week with their Oma and attending a tennis/golf camp each day. Brady is still in Spain … (where the rain falls mainly on the plain!! Ha!!) No pictures from him yet, but I know he has been very homesick, but is having lots of adventures there and also learning Spanish.

So, let me see again. Our summers were much simpler. Just the other day, I was remembering how Mom would let my sister and I take either the pop bottles or milk jugs to the grocery store to redeem them and spend the money for ice cream, candy or a soda! We cheerfully carried those bottles to the store being so careful not to drop or bust them together which, of course, would decrease our profits.

And oh, recalling again the fun we had on our street with neighborhood kids … played ball, we played cars, we house and grocery store ... showers with the garden hose, swimming in the public pool … the bookmobile once a week and feasting on a stack of books for the week. Friends spending the night and talking and giggling late at night. Vacation Bible School! And don't forget the ice cream man! Oh joy!

I sincerely hope our grandkids will have sweet memories of their childhood!!

(Did somebody mention VBS? I loved it!! And, speaking of that, a little insert here about Jack. He went to VBS for a week earlier this summer, but this week, he DID NOT want to go again. Daddy tried to get him to go, but no, he wanted to come here instead. I also tried to convince him to no avail. This is troubling to me. While I don't think a child should be forced to attend church, but I also do not believe it is the child's decision to make just because they don't want to. But that's just my opinion!)

It's a busy Thursday today! Our friend Fred and I will be trying to hoist the motorcycle onto a trailer and haul it to the shop to see what it needs to get it running again. Then what? Will we be on the road again? No sir! The plan is to sell that puppy while it's in perfect condition. Now, let me see. That will make a total of three motorcycles gone! I'm kinda like Jack. I'm checking off a really big to-do list!


7 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

How many motorcycles did you have?

And I love his little list and believe me - he and your other grandchildren WILL have wonderful memories of you!

I promise. Sandie

Visits With Mary said...

Love Jack's list, I think I would like to do all of them too!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

My granddaughter #2 was and probably still is a list maker. It was so much fun to do things with her because she knew exactly what she wanted to do before we ever left the house. There is no doubt your grandchildren will have treasured memories of time spent with you. What a blessing for them and you.

Terri D said...

I love that list and that your grandson wrote it! How cute! I'm a list-maker too, so HIGH FIVE to him! It sounds like you all had a wonderful time. I did not go to VBS but was active in MYF (Methodist Youth Fellowship). I don't even remember VBS being at our church. My summers were simpler too. We had to entertain ourselves and spent most of our time outside with friends (or a book on my tree platform). I enjoyed your post!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pamela M. Steiner said...

Yikes, Nonnie...you have an "anonymous" comment above that you need to delete...I know you haven't seen it yet or you would have already...

Regarding your grandson not wanting to go to VBS again, if he already went this summer, maybe once is enough. When we were kids that is all we had...and I've noticed around this area that many churches are having the same theme...so maybe they don't want to do the same things over and over? Perhaps your sweet boy just wants to enjoy being with his grandparents. I wouldn't force the issue. If he loves Jesus, and goes to church with his family, maybe that's enough. VBS can be too overwhelming for some children. That's just my thoughts...he may just need some 'down time" with family. Treasure that! Jesus probably never went to VBS either ... it's really okay. (Not trying to preach here, but every kid is different.) Be blessed my friend, and enjoy these precious moments. They don't last forever...

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Love his books. I like that he made a list of things to do!! Those are great memories from your childhood. We loved playing kick the can and flashlight tag. You could actually stay out all day and in the evening without your parents being worried about you. Of course at night we were usually on our street.