On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Memories Recovered and Bringing it Forward

Recently, my aunt handed over to my sister an envelope filled with photo slides from at least 50 years ago and some more, just judging from the one of my graduation which would have been the most recent. I promised on solemn oath that I WOULD NOT post any of the very dorky pics of us as teens in return for my sister and brother's promise that they would NEVER post any of me nor show any to anyone. That being said, both my parents have been in Heaven for over 30 years and I am posting here what I think are very nice pictures of them.

This is my sweet mother ready for church, I am sure. She always looked nice and took pride in the fact that she had successfully lost all the weight gained from having three children (75 pounds). She religiously counted calories every day and was always the "queen" at the TOPS club meetings. (TOPS being Take Off Pounds Sensibly.) Since I always saw my Mom as Mama, and I was so young, now that I am in my late 60's, I look at this pic and think, Wow! she was only 36 when I graduated from high school. So, in this pic, she may have been anywhere from 35 to 40. I don't know, but I think she looks great.

Sweet, sweet woman.


This is my Dad. They called him Slim. No explanations needed. He always was slim, no matter what he ate and he could eat whatever he wanted. Unfortunately, he also smoked. (That big thing sitting on the grass outside my uncle's home was an old swamp cooler. Remember those?)

Now I know I promised not to post any of my brother, but this pic is just too darn cute and not dorky at all! My Dad took so much pride in his son and I noticed in all the pics there is a smile of delight over this boy.

And bringing it forward a few years, the smiles of delight continue.

My brother with his son.

And to the present ... my brother holding his beautiful granddaughter.


And his boy holding that precious daughter.

So sweet! 
Mom would love the matching outfits!

I love it! 


12 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

This made me smile and tear up a bit - I love these photos of your family. A walk to remember. Love, sandie

Terri D said...

I really enjoyed seeing these photos!! It's so great to have them as reminders of our loved ones. Helps us keep them close (or it does for me, anyway). Your mom was a lovely lady and your dad was slim, indeed!! Quite handsome too!

Linda said...

I love old photos! That swamp cooler! I remember those and so does Louis Dean! He wants to buy one for down here at the ranch. They are pretty pricey now w and so not suitable for someone with asthma.

NanaDiana said...

What fun to see those photos. What a nice looking family-your mom and dad both beautiful people. My mother was 36 when I was BORN and I was her first child. They had given up on ever having children...and then...there I was and my brother 4 years later. NO ONE had babies when they were that old back then.

I hadn't thought of a swamp cooler in years! lol

Have a great night and upcoming Sunday- xo Diana

Susie said...

Nonnie, Your mom was very pretty. I would love to have that cute jacketed dress right now. You cute little brother grew into a cute grown man with his own cute family. LOL A complete circle of cuteness. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Karen said...

Oh those photos are all so precious. Cute matching flannel shirts!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Thank you for sharing the photos. They are all so wonderful. I love old photos and of course new ones too! So many young people today only have photos on their phones, never print them out!!!

Wanda said...

Oh you have melted my heart with your pictures. Oh my, you mom so reminds me of mine. She always looks so prim and proper in her Sunday Best.
Love the generation...sweet sweet pictures...treasures for sure.

Cathy said...

On my, such sweet pictures!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

I love every one of these pictures. What a beautiful mom and handsome dad you had. I'm sure this was like finding a treasure.

Dianna said...

Awww, Connie, your mom was so beautiful. And your dad was handsome. I love how you shared those generations of smiles! Thanks so much for sharing with us.

annie said...

These photos are wonderful!
Your mother looks so classy and elegant.
I love seeing family photos and I am glad you shared them. :)