On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Saturday, July 14, 2018

Saturday9: I Love Lucy





Saturday 9: I Love Lucy (1951)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) Before today, did you know that the "I Love Lucy" theme had lyrics? Yes, because Ricky sang it once on the show and I also saw a documentary about them and heard it then. "I love Lucy and she loves me, we're as happy as two can be."

2) Since its premiere in 1951, I Love Lucy has never been off the air. Are you a fan? I always have been, although as I've matured, I really don't like the way Lucy was always trying to deceive Ricky in some way or another. I've watched all of the episodes maybe more than a dozen times each over the years. 



3) On the show, Ricky Riccardo supports his family by performing in a nightclub. Do you know anyone in show business? Yes. My sister's niece is a professional singer and she sings in nightclubs and other venues. That is how she earns a living. She's very good. She was also a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader and traveled with them and the USO. I think she counts.  

She's a beautiful lady with some pretty kiddos.




4) Lucy and Ricky's best friends are Fred and Ethel, their landlord and his wife. Are you friendly with your neighbors? Friendly, not chummy. 

5) One of the most popular episodes has Lucy and Ethel working on the conveyor belt at a chocolate factory. When did you last have chocolate?   Yesterday. I eat a little dark chocolate every day. And last night I made a hot fudge sundae.  

6) Another famous episode has Lucy promoting Vitametavegimin. This tonic is made with vitamins, meat, vegetables -- and 23% alcohol. Do you read the ingredients statement before you take an over-the-counter medication? Yes, I do. Or do you trust that it's safe because it's on the store shelf? No sir!

7) I Love Lucy was filmed before a live audience. Desi Arnaz (Ricky) always maintained he could identify the chuckle of his mother-in-law, who attended every taping. Do you know anyone who has a distinctive laugh? My dear friend Susan is the first I think of. You always know when Susan was around. She loves to laugh and laughs often! My Granny had quite a laugh, too. 

8) The show ended when the Lucille Ball/Desi Arnaz marriage ended. Have you ever had to choose sides when a couple broke up? Only twice. Once we stayed friends after the divorce with the husband and the other couple, the wife is my very close friend, so no choice there. 

9) Random question -- You must eat the same dinner, every day, between now and Labor Day. An identical menu, no deviation. What will you be having? This is the hardest question of all today! I can't think of anything I would want every day, but it definitely needs to be tasty, healthy and low fat. Mercy. Chicken broth, roasted chicken breast, broccoli, green beans, baked sweet potato, salad with balsamic vinaigrette, wheat roll with butter, frozen chocolate yogurt. Water. (That doesn't really sound non-fat, does it? I'm not good with low fat!)


In trying to find an appropriate image, I found several good recipes to try. Oh boy!!



11 comments:

Karen said...

I do remember Ricky singing the lyrics to the theme song once. Very sweet.

The Gal Herself said...

You just reminded me: I haven't had a hot fudge sundae yet this summer!

Dianna said...

I enjoyed reading your answers to the I Love Lucy questions. I've always enjoyed the show a lot and have watched them many times. Our son and his family gave me the entire series last year, but I'm like you as far as Lucy always trying to deceive Ricky...and at times him trying to deceive her.

Your sister's niece is beautiful, as are her children!

Susie said...

Nonnie, I could do roasted chicken and veggies for many meals. But from my childhood...I know I have eaten pinto beans for months and months on end...I no longer eat those. LOL. Your niece is a beauty. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Terri D said...

I enjoyed your answers today! I agree with you about Lucy always deceiving Ricky in those shows. Made for good comedy, anyway! Happy Saturday!

Stacy said...

I agree. As I've grown older (possibly more mature) I stopped finding Lucy's deceptions quite so funny. I think your sister's niece most certainly counts!

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my gosh I love the I Love Lucy Show - my daughter does too. Know almost all about it and the episodes. I did know there were l lyrics. Can't catch me today and I love hot fudge sundaes too. sandie

zippiknits...sometimes said...

*7. Me either! I don't trust BIG PHARMA at all.

About Lucy, I think that she had a horrible life with Desi Arnaz. He was extremely volatile and nasty. I think the writers gave her back a little for herself, a little more dignity in fantasy.

I am Harriet said...

I agree with you. It's funny how we see things differently as we age.

CountryDew said...

I'm allergic to milk products (milk in cooking doesn't seem to bother me too much) so I don't eat ice cream. Believe it or not, a hot fudge sundae is on my bucket list. With whipped cream and a cherry on top. I need to move that up on the priority list.

Kay G. said...

I remember the episode where Ricky sang the lyrics to "I Love Lucy". Of course, I remember them all! So funny.