On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Heroes

Three good friends.
Our son on the right.
His friend, Dennis to the left.

Our son is one of the best! And he is not a man given to dropping casual or flattering compliments. To read his post yesterday on Facebook made me so proud. He is not only a hero himself, but he recognizes the strength and good in others. I post it today to save it for my memories.

"My friend, Lt. Dennis passed away this morning. I was lucky enough to have worked with him and become his friend before he got sick.

He is the strongest man I have ever met. I knew Dennis was strong before I saw him fight cancer, but I had no idea how strong God could make one man! He was bombarded with a horrible illness with horrible circumstances, one after another. I never heard him speak one negative thought when I spoke to him. I just saw a man determined to beat each obstacle put before him. He never let his friends see him weak. We only saw the strong and courageous man we all knew as Lieutenant.

Dennis and I always talked about when he would come back to the front seat of EN36. How great it was going to be to work together again! I never gave up hope that he would come back to work. If Dennis said he was going to do something, you knew it was going to happen. He loved the job, and the fire department was better when he was at work.

I truly believe that God puts people in our life to inspire us to be better men. God had different plans than Dennis, and I know that he is finally pain free and he has been restored to the powerful man we all remember.

I hope that he knew how much he meant to me and how much he inspired me. Dennis was an awesome example of a man, and I am lucky I had him as a mentor, but more importantly, he was my friend.


Dennis, you will be missed.

4 comments:

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

Oh my, what a tribute! You definitely have reason to be proud of your own hero, Connie.

Terri D said...

A strong and beautiful tribute from your son for his dear friend. Thank you for sharing his words with us. It says much about your son, too. You should be proud!!

Karen said...

This is so beautifully written. I know you are thankful for your son and all that God is doing in his life.

Chatty Crone said...

I am crying - what a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man from another wonderful man! sandie