On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Friday, June 19, 2020

Saturday9

Saturday 9: Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast (1972) ... Because it's Father's Day weekend.
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.



Oh, I remember this song. It always brought a tear or two.

1) This song is about a little girl who runs after her daddy. When is the last time you ran? About a year ago. Were you trying to get somewhere in a hurry, or playing a sport? I had a snake Jay had captured with the snake tongs and was racing out to the back fence to toss him over! You bet I was in a hurry!

2) This song was a top ten hit for Wayne Newton. Mr. Newton is better known for his TV work, having made more than 150 appearances since 1963. Have you ever been on TV? Yes. When I was a little girl, I was invited to a birthday party on a local children’s show. All of us were on TV. As a five year old, I was not impressed as it was easier to watch the cartoons at home than on a tv monitor. Then in junior high, our glee club was featured on the local talk show. And, more recently, I attended the taping of a James Robison Show to see Andy Andrews. The camera scanned the audience a few times and voila, there we were!!! Do any of those count? 

So naturally, I had to Google to see if I might find anything about Uncle Hiram. Yes, here is what I found.

"Uncle Hiram had been in show biz since Moby Dick was a sardine. He had worked Vaudeville, "the Nat'l Barn Dance" from Chicago and recorded comedy songs, as part of "Hank and Hiram". He had a million stories and I expect one or two of them were true. It was ad lib city with us. The camera men were always breaking up and losing their shot. Much of our material was inside and much of it off-color. Nothing the kids ever caught and no complaints from parents...who probably never watched. It was terrible TV but a real romp for those of us involved. It was very important to me as was paid $5.00 a show." credit

Or in a YouTube video? Yes, it was for a local broadcast, I guess you would call it, in which I gave my story of how Jesus Christ transformed my life. When I saw the video, I was not pleased at all with the way I looked. 

3) The road leading to Las Vegas' McCarran International Airport is named Wayne Newton Blvd. in his honor. When is the last time you were at an airport? About a year ago. Were you flying somewhere, picking someone up, or dropping them off? We were picking up friends from their vacation.

4) Wayne says Elvis Presley haunts Las Vegas, and believes that The King of Rock and Roll has given him performing and parenting tips from beyond the grave. When did you last see Elvis? About a week ago. On TV, on a t-shirt, poster or magazine cover, or as a ghostly apparition? I happened to see the movie Forrest Gump and at the beginning, as you will recall, there was a clip of Elvis on the Ed Sullivan Show.

5) When Sam walks with her own dad, the problem isn't that he walks fast. It's that he's always stopping to pick up litter he finds on the grass. Litterbugs are his pet peeve. What's your pet peeve? People driving slow in the fast lane.

6) Sam's own father often traveled for business, and always gave her the complimentary soaps, shampoos or body lotion he got from the hotel. When she went away to college, she used her collection of little bottles and was grateful for all the money they saved her. What's something you've done recently to economize? Our church is purchasing food items each week for the food bank and because I want to give more, I buy the food at Aldi's. Their food is so much cheaper and the things we are required to buy, I actually use for myself. The bread is fresh, the peanut butter and cereals are good, and they carry name brand soups. Those are items we pretty much stick with. So far we have collected almost 20,000 pounds of food in the past few weeks. Pretty nice, huh?

7) It was her father who taught Sam to drive. Are you a better student or teacher? I do teach, but I think I’m a better student because to teach, you have to learn.

8) Sam's father also always asks if her car in "tip top" condition. Most recently he reminded her to test her headlights, tail lights and turn signals while the car is parked to make sure they're all working. Do you have a car maintenance tip to share? Stay on top of the condition of your tires and keep your gas tank full.

9) Sam's father satisfies his afternoon sugar craving with an almost endless stream of Butter Rum Lifesavers. Do you usually enjoy a between meal snack. I do these days—I find myself having a couple of chocolate chip cookies or brownies.

8 comments:

The Gal Herself said...

First of all, I'm thrilled that you're giving to your local food bank! That's a passion of mine. Our neighborhood food pantry saw donations drop off precipitously when churches began having services online. So good for you! Brava!

Thanks for sharing the background on Uncle Hiram. The early days of TV were so influential, and I love hearing about them.

Lori said...

Oh yes...a snake can get me to run too.
My husband drives slow in the fast lane...drives me nuts! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

songbird's crazy world said...

Snakes ...why did it have to be snakes ...

Mevely317 said...

20,000 pounds of food? WOW! I passed Aldi's just a few hours ago but have never been inside. Good to know it's worth a visit (or several). Happy Saturday!

Stacy said...

Well, now you're my hero. I would be running if there was a snake...but I would be running away from it! I'd never even get close enough to get one with snake tongs. Ugh.

Terri D said...

Our Aldi's is about 10 miles away so we rarely venture up there but I agree that they do have great food and some fabulous bargains. These were some fun questions and I enjoyed your answers!! Have a great Sunday!

Chatty Crone said...

I remember that song and it made me cry too. I know you will miss your husband tomorrow. I am thinking of you. Sandie

CountryDew said...

Good work with the food bank!