On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

A Summery Hodgepodge

1. Saturday marks the first official day of summer! Whoo-hoo! Your favorite thing about the season? 

I always liked that it meant good times at the lake, water skiing, homemade ice cream, softball, and vacations. As kids, our favorite things were the amusement park, playing with the neighborhood kids, going to the public pool once a week, the bookmobile and bringing home a stack of books to read. 

2. Love it!, labor of love, not for love or money, no love lost, love handles, love does, love-hate relationship, misery loves company, tough love, love will find a way...pick one and tell us how it applies to your life right now.

The only one that stands out to me is labor of love. I have spent the last five months trying to figure out what to write on my husband‘s grave stone. I’ve mentioned before that we are sharing a grave stone, so trying to sum up something that speaks to both of us has been very difficult. Here’s a copy of my long list, and here is what I have finally decided upon. The people at the funeral home were glad to know that I wasn’t expecting them to try to put the entire list on the headstone. It's mostly about him anyway. After I'm gone, it really won't matter to me! 


Strong in love, Brave in spirit, Faithful in serving

3. What's one thing currently causing you to seethe?

Just one thing? Really? Well, how about seeing our Supreme Court making laws instead of interpreting the law. One thing currently making you smile? I'm going through the office trying to sift through what is important, what to keep, what to toss. I just ran across an old file that contained some of my "atta girl" notes from people I worked with. Much needed encouragement for me today.

4. Of the following to-dos found on a summer checklist (here) which three would definitely make your personal list of summer want-to-dos? roast marshmallows over a fire, go berry or peach picking, dangle your feet off the end of a dock, sit on a porch swing, watch the sunset from a beach, nap in a hammock, go barefoot in the grass, collect seashells, play tennis, go fishing, build a sandcastle, catch fireflies, eat a soft serve ice cream cone, make a pitcher of Sangria, swim in a lake, stargaze, ride a bike, paddle a canoe or kayak, make a summer road trip, throw a frisbee

Watch the sunset from the beach, ride a bike, or make a summer road trip.

Do you make an actual list? No, but I do wish I had a plan.

5. Thursday is National Splurge Day. What might you splurge on in order to celebrate? 

I can’t think of a thing except to get into my stash of brownies. 

6. Insert your own random thought here.

I decided to look around and see what my options are to maybe move into one of the senior communities close by. I found a model that I liked a lot, and I have a realtor coming on Thursday to look at my house and the possibilities or likelihood of it selling. So the last few days my thoughts have been occupied with purging and moving and it’s quite overwhelming. My goodness! The things we accumulate over the years. Thinking maybe it’s better to stay put. Right now I think I’m just undecided.



14 comments:

songbird's crazy world said...

I love sunset on the beach.

Stacy said...

Oh my gosh, you just brought my childhood rushing back with talk of the amusement park, trips to the public pool (though it was the lake at the state park here), and the bookmobile! That's a big decision coming up for you. Praying you are able to take the time and decide on what is really the best thing for you. Have a blessed day!

Carla from The River said...

Hello,
My friend Bonita did decide to move into a smaller complex. She is purging and sorting. She calls me when she is overwhelmed. It is not easy.
Good luck with your decision.

Homemade ice cream... you betcha. :-)
Love, Carla

Martha said...

You definitely brought back childhood memories with the first question. What you decided on for the grave stone is beautiful! Moving is overwhelming but just think how nice it would be once you were done. Have a great day and a fun summer!

Mevely317 said...

Perfect! I love what you've chosen for the headstone! Like Stacy wrote, your summer memories unleashed some of my own favorites … when the temps didn't matter and no-one cared about what her hair looked like. :)

Jeanette said...

Love watching the sunsets on the west side of the state, over Lake Michigan. I found your blog through Simply Linda. I thing the name Nonnie attracted me because that's what my grandkids call me! Have a good day!

Annie said...

A stash of brownies! Now that's living!
Yes, sunset on the beach is a marvelous thing.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I enjoyed reading your answers. I love the saying your posted. Good luck with the realtor.

Joyce said...

Moving is a big decision and I think it's good to check out your options and also good to let everything percolate in your head and heart before committing. I will be thinking of you. It's a lot. I used to love when the bookmobile came to our school. Such a treat! I have been breaking in to too many pans of brownies. And other things too. Yikes! Going to be a tough habit to break : )

Chatty Crone said...

I enjoyed reading your answers. Gee you are really giving the words real thought - I wish I had that kind of patience.
I like - Always loving - Always loved - because that is both of you!

Terri D said...

Summers were so great when we were carefree kids. I was blessed, as you were. Joe and I are so happy we moved to a 55+ retirement community (though many here are still working). We feel safer and cared for here by the whole community. I actually just love what you decided for the headstone. Strong in love, Brave in spirit, Faithful in serving. That is beautiful and I think t applies to you as well. Good choice!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Such a beautiful and thoughtful statement to put on Jay's (and yours) headstone. Perfect for both of you, I think. I can only imagine how difficult that was to decide, but you came up with a perfect thought. Now, whether or not to move into a retirement community...I know that would be a very big decision. Praying that God will guide you as you pray about it and take your time exploring all options. I imagine your current home would be a lot to continue to care for, but then again, we get used to having space for things we love to do and it is hard to give it up. May the Lord guide you and give you peace in this new part of your journey.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

Your selection for the headstone is perfect, Connie. Making a change as large as moving is difficult. I think you would enjoy the social interaction in a small community without the upkeep and responsibility. On the downside is the downsizing and deciding what to keep and what not to. When we moved to our Garden Home, I decided to bring only what we loved even if there might have been some emotional attachment. I really haven't missed or regretted anything I got rid of. I will pray with you about this decision as I know it is monumental for you.

My Tata's Cottage said...

I like the words you chose for the headstone. They seem perfect. It is hard to downsize. I really need a desk space so I Must decide what to purge so I can make room for a desk and move out a dresser.I loved reading your childhood memories. I also enjoyed the hodgepodge. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. HUGS across the miles xo