On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Saturday 9: Cat's In the Cradle


Cat's in the Cradle (1974)

This song was chosen in honor of Father's Day.


1) This song began as a poem, written by Harry's wife Sandy before the couple even met. Have you ever tried your hand at writing poetry? 

Yes, but I confess my little poems weren't that great. This one is about my Dad (written a very long time ago and before the popular song Daddy's Hands, which song I loved.)


2) The lyrics include a reference to "The Man in the Moon." The original Mother Goose rhyme ends: "It's time for the children on earth to think about getting to bed." Do you remember what time your childhood bedtime was?  8:00 

3) When did you go to bed last night? 10:10

4) In 1966, President Lyndon Johnson signed the proclamation that made Father's Day a holiday on the third Sunday in June. Can you name all 45 Presidents? (No, you don't have to list them here.) 

I'm glad we don't have to list them because I cannot name all of them.

5) Since Sam's father is particular about his Cole Haan loafers, her Father's Day present to him is always a DSW gift card. Who on your gift list is especially easy to buy for? 

Our daughter-in-law. She will always tell me what she wants!! Makes it very easy.

6) Sam's father is a voracious reader. So much so that the local librarian knows him on sight and by name. When did you last visit your neighborhood library?

Grandson Jack wanted to go to the library Wednesday morning, so we did. Too bad we didn't realize summer hours were different and it wouldn't open until later that day.

7) Back when Sam was in high school, her father gave her driving lessons. Do you consider yourself a good driver? 

Yes. My Dad is the one who taught me to drive also. As I look back, I am amazed he allowed me to drive on the curvy highways in Arkansas before I had a license … and especially with all the family in the car! Wow!

8) He is a stickler about car maintenance and reminds Sam to check her car's air filter regularly, because a dirty air filter can reduce mileage. Share your own car maintenance tip. 

Regular maintenance and keep an eye on those gauges and tires.

9) Whenever he fills up the car, Sam's father also stocks up on his favorite candy: LifeSavers. So Sam is celebrating Father's Day by giving everyone a roll. Would you prefer Wild Cherry, Butter Rum, Winter Green or Peppermint? 

Wild Cherry.


Happy Heavenly Father's Day to my Dad.



12 comments:

CountryDew said...

Having trouble with blogger too and it's lack of email returns, I'm guessing. It is amazing the things we were able to do when we were younger that today would be considered inappropriate, like learning to drive as you did. I don't know when the world got so weird.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

I can remember the presidents here and there now, but it was drilled into my head so long ago that it's like the times tables or something. The alphabet? lol

Blogspot may be getting problematic just before google decides it won't support it anymore, like they have done with other things like Picasa. I won't forgive them for that one.....never ever.. ;o)
Happy weekend, Nonnie..

zippiknits...sometimes said...

PS: I liked your well constructed poem. And such a lovely tribute to the man you can proudly call, "Dad".

Karen said...

A nice tribute to your dad. I remember my dad teaching me to drive in Atlanta when I just had a learner's permit! A brave man. Hope your family has a nice father's day weekend.

Stacy said...

That's a wonderful poem and I'm sure your dad thought so, too!

Terri D said...

I enjoyed your poem and sentiments. Those of us who have lost our dads in this physical world still feel their love in our hearts. You chose cherry lifesavers. I'll take the butter rum!! :)

The Gal Herself said...

Your poem to your father is lovely, just lovely. And so timely! My late father was a mechanic who worked with his hands. Thank you sharing.

I am Harriet said...

I can't wait until I have grandchildren that I can take to the library.
I really enjoyed taking my own kids when they were young.

collettakay said...

I would really struggle to remember all the presidents. So glad I don't have to! I love the picture of your Dad :)

Susie said...

Nonnie, I love that song, so much, I used to say, "Cat's In the cradle" when my Son in law wanted to work all the time. No amount of money will ever buy back that time. Time that should have been spent with the children. I liked seeing the picture of your father surrounded by you children. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Chatty Crone said...

I love that song by Happy Chapin - SO TRUE! Happy Father's Day to your husband. What a wonderful man. sandie

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

Every week I say I'm going to participate in this Saturday post, and am yet to do so. But, I always enjoy reading yours and loved the picture of you with your dad. Treasures!