On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Fun, Fun Summertime Hodgepodge


1. Summer is upon us this week in the Northern hemisphere. Tell us three things on your summer bucket list.

Summertime actually hit us here in North Texas just when Spring was getting started. I don't really keep a bucket list, however, these are three things that I would like to see happen before September. It didn't happen last year, but I can dream, right?
  • To take my DH to his childhood home to see his cousins.
  • To make my way to my hometown and my birthplace to see some of my cousins.
  • To take some kind of short little trip.
I think this is a doable bucket list and pray this happens. Now what is so hard about those? I'm just not liking to leave the house anymore that much. 

2. Something fun you used to do as a kid in the summertime?

Did you say "something fun"? Summer was all things fun. Oh, summertime as a kid. What bliss! So many wonderful things to do. We played hard and in my memories, I can still feel the fun we had on our street with neighborhood kids ... the way the grass felt under our bare feet, the sweat that poured off us from playing so hard ... standing in front of the swamp cooler to cool off ... catching lightning bugs and horny toads ... washing dirty feet at night before bed. We played ball, we played cars, we played house and grocery store ... games of croquet and sitting on the ice cream maker as someone strong turned the handle for homemade ice cream. We took the garden hose and had a blast blasting each other with it, even putting it down each other's throat playing dentist! Our mother would take us to the public pool to swim ... or jump around in the pool since we didn't really know how to swim. Walking to the school to check out books from the bookmobile once a week and feasting on a stack of books for the week. Having friends spend the night and talking and giggling late at night. Vacation Bible School! And don't forget the ice cream man! Oh joy!

Family vacations were to Arkansas to visit relatives and the memorable times there when Daddy took us fishing along the creek near grandmas house or the family going down to the river to swim ... again, playing in the river, not really swimming! Cooking hot dogs over a fire or eating lunches packed beforehand. Little day trips from Arkansas to Branson, Missouri or Eureka Springs. We never tired of the repeat visits, but one year we actually went to Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington, Texas. I'll never forget that little trip ... staying in the Jolly Roger motel (since we had no relatives in Texas! 😂)

After one of our little trips!

As an adult, my husband and I took my parents on vacation with us to Colorado and another trip camping. Those trips brought them so much pleasure, I wish we had done it more often. 

At Bear Lake in Colorado.

Just One something fun? I loved, loved vacation Bible School!

3. Rootop or backyard? What? Why?

Not sure I understand this. If I do, I think a backyard is best because that's what I've always known and enjoy the grass, trees and flowers.

4. Do you read food labels? Yes. Place importance on them? Yes. Trying Make an effort to find out/care about where your food comes from? Yes.

5. A song you'll have on repeat this summer?

10,000 Reasons, Matt Redman - I just don't get tired of this song.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

This past weekend I discovered a movie on Amazon Prime that was one of the most inspirational movies I have seen in a long time. Although the movie was hard to watch sometimes, and I cried throughout, seeing the end result of one woman's passion for orphans was just so wonderful! I decided I have to buy the book and read about the truly amazing woman who was the heroine of the story. Her name is Christina Noble and you can read about her here. https://www.cncf.org/ The movie Noble can be found on Amazon prime.





13 comments:

Annsterw said...

That movie looks wonderful! I will be checking it out this weekend!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I love your summer recollections...reminded me a lot of my summers as a child...we camped in the mountains on our way to and from Ohio to visit grandparents/cousins. We played in the mountain streams, collected rocks...at home we did all that stuff you did...I loved summer when I was a kid. Not so much now...too hot to go outside and "play" anymore! I would love to go camping again in the mountains if I could get my hubby to do it...we think about getting a little camper trailer to pull behind us...but not sure it will ever happen. Anyway, I enjoyed your post. You and I would have had fun together as kids!!! Have a blessed summer. I bet we could still have fun together as adults if we ever got to meet in person! :)

Nonnie said...

Just saying good morning and wishing everyone a happy summer day!

Anonymous said...

Nice to go around your post about the things to be done on summer...

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

Oh those summertime memories. We had so much in common except I was strictly country with no streets or close neighbors. But, I remember doing so many of the same things. One of our most treasured memories is also taking my parents on vacation with us to Colorado, then a week in Glorieta, NM. It meant so much to them which made it all the more special for us. I do hope you and your DH get to take those trips this summer. It is good to visit family while he can enjoy it. We are going to Eureka Springs next week for a couple days.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Praying that your bucket list will happen. Summertime as a kid was the best. We played outside all day long. Thanks for the movie suggestion. Enjoy the rest of you day.

Debby Ray said...

I loved reading all of your childhood summer memories...those days just live on and on in our memories, don't they? Your summer trips sound fun and I do hope you will able to get away fro them. 10,000 Reasons is a great song...I love it too. Enjoy the rest of your week!

annie said...

I enjoyed your happy summer memories!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Sound like your going to do a little travel. One of my relatives visit our past ancestors past place they lived, lot of the midwest.
I been finding it interesting why people read labels.

Coffee is on

Chatty Crone said...

I think your bucket list is quite doable. Why don't you plan it? Life is so short.

I am impressed at how ell you remember your past. I have a hard time with that. Your summer adventures sounded fun.

I used to take my mom everywhere too.

Love, sandie

Terri D said...

It has been so special reading about childhood summer memories today! Thanks for the movie/book review! It does sound amazing. I will look for it.

Patti said...

I loved reading about your childhood memories. Truly, those bygone decades were magical, weren't they? I had forgotten about attending Vacation Bible School as a kid. I was raised in an unchurched home, but my mom did let us go to the Lutheran church's VBS program. I loved hearing the stories about Jesus, and even as a child, I remember being heartbroken and crying when I learned about the crucifixion.

Oh, 10,000 Reasons. Such a favorite of mine too. Matt Redman is an amazing singer/songwriter.

Blessings,
Patti

Unknown said...

Summer was so much fun when we were kids, we were never board so I find it so hard when I hear that today’s kids are board! I hope you get to take your trips, those are important to do. The movie sounds nice, hope you enjoy the book.