On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Saturday, May 22, 2021

 

The Way You Look Tonight




The Way You Look Tonight (1936)

1) The lyrics tell us that no matter how low the singer feels, it will raise his spirits to recall the way his lover looks tonight. Share a special moment in your life that brings a smile to your lips, no matter what.

The evening of November 7, 1987, dancing with my DH two months after having met, the dance we danced and looks we exchanged as we both realized we were "in love!"

2) This song was introduced by Fred Astaire in the 1936 movie, Swing Time. It won the Oscar for Best Song. What's your favorite movie song? There are so many wonderful movie songs, it is hard to pick one. But Exodus! is a great one! And Anthony Burger is FANTASTIC! with it.



3) Though today Fred is revered as a Hollywood legend, producers had to be convinced to give him a shot. The initial notes on his screen test were: "Can't act. Slightly bald. Also dances." Tell us about a time when someone underestimated you.

That's a tough one. I may not be able to answer it, but the first thing that comes to mind was my God-given strength to do what needed to be done after the initial shock of my husband's death had worn off. And second, when I surprised the kids with my water skiing at age 70. Woo-hoo! It had been many years since I had water-skied, but I guess you don't forget that.

4) Fred's legion of fans includes Jackie Chan. The martial arts star says Astaire's movies influenced the way he choreographed the Kung Fu fight sequences in his films. Mr. Chan is one of the most popular film stars in the world. Have you seen any of his movies? NO!

5) Fred was always fascinated by new things. In the 1970s, when he was in his late 70s, he took up skateboarding and became so good at it he was awarded life membership in the National Skateboard Society. Have you been skateboarding? No, but I did attempt the hover board and stayed on long enough to know it's not my thing. If not, is it something you're tempted to try? I am no longer interested in anything that might cause a fall or broken bone. Still waiting for my wrist to be back to normal.

6) Fred's friends were amused by his passion for daytime soap operas. In the days before video recording, he would call home from the club house at the golf course and ask his maid what had happened that day on his favorite "story," As the World Turns. Is there a show you try not to miss?

Call the Midwife ... or just about any BBC or Masterpiece series.

7) In 1936, the year this song was popular, the US patent office issued a patent for the Zippo lighter. Beginning in WWII and for decades after, Zippo lighters were issued to our soldiers. During the Vietnam War, troops had their lighters engraved with personal mottos. What's something you have had engraved or personalized?

My Bible has my name on it. What did it say? When I was cleaning and uncluttering to get ready for my move, I found my Grandad's Zippo lighter which had his name engraved on it. Our grandson, Noah, thought it was very cool and asked if he could have it. There was no fluid in it and his Mom said fine, so I gave it to him.

8) Also in 1936, a killer tornado struck Tupelo, MS. Have you ever been in a tornado? No, but they have come close. How about a hurricane or an earthquake? No, and I hope I never do.

9) Random question -- We're creating an action figure of YOU. What two accessories should we be sure to include in the box? Hmmmm! A Bible and a journal with pen!

7 comments:

Lori said...

What a beautiful memory for #1! I love it. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

The Gal Herself said...

How neat that you found one of the Zippos referred to in the question!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Such a beautiful memory #1. Very special indeed. Oh, I am listening to Anthony Burger right now playing Exodus. Thank you for sharing that. Did I ever tell you he came to our church one time for a special concert, and his grand finale was "The King is Coming". Our choir was to stand up and sing the chorus when he got to that part, and I was the choir director. I was so enthralled watching him play the piano that I almost missed the cue to stand up the choir and start singing. He had to look at me and get my attention...I was so embarrassed, but we made it through okay. It was a very memorable moment in more ways than one! LOL. I love the action figure of you with the Bible and the journal/pen. What a beautiful action hero you are! This was great.

NanaDiana said...

Love your answers. The one about the dance and realizing you were 'in love' made my heart smile. Hope you are doing well. xo Diana

Terri D said...

I love Call The Midwife too!! How nice to have that memory of dancing and realizing it was really love!! And I can sure identify with having to find the strength to deal with life after the death of your husband. We find the strength, though, and having strong faith in God sure helps. Love & hugs!

songbird's crazy world said...

I’ve never tried water skiing.

With you now, no interest in anything that would cause a fall.

CountryDew said...

The water skiing leaves me in awe! Way to go!