On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Saturday, May 29, 2021

Saturday9 Sad Song




Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle. 

1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. War memorials, as well as graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers this weekend in a show appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood?
It is not in my neighborhood, but it’s not too far from me in the downtown area of our city. I remember when I was 13, my dad took our family there to attend a Memorial Day service. I was too young to really appreciate the highly significant meaning that day. My dad had served in World War II, so it was very meaningful to him and he wanted to share that with us. 

Closer to home is a War Memorial dedicated to the veterans of WWI. It is located in a cemetery.




2) Here at Saturday 9, we regard everyone who served -- veterans and active military -- as heroes. Have you, or has anyone in your family, worn the uniform of our armed forces? We want to hear about them.

My dad served in the armed forces, both of my late husbands served, an uncle died in World War II, and both of my nephews have served. One of my nephews was an army ranger, in special forces, and a Green Beret. My other nephew was just promoted to major in the Army. I am proud and thankful for all of them and their willingness to serve.

This is from several years ago.

3) Similarly, we're grateful to those who served on the front lines during the Covid 19 pandemic. Tell us about anyone you know who was an essential worker, a first responder or administered vaccines. They deserve a shout out, too!
 
Yes, they certainly do. My niece and a couple of my cousins are registered nurses, and our son is a firefighter/paramedic. They all have served throughout the pandemic and I am proud of them also.

I like this pic of Jason. 
He's a happy guy when he's serving!

4) Memorial Day is the traditional kick off of the summer season. Have you packed away your winter clothes yet? 

My closet is roomy enough that it holds both my winter and summer and transitional clothes.

5) What's your favorite picnic food? 

Probably fried chicken.

6) As you answer these questions, is there a fan or an air conditioner cooling your room? 

Air conditioner; I seldom turn on the ceiling fans.

7) This week's song is about a heartbreaking situation. The lyrics are a letter from a soldier to his family, which was only to be sent in the event of his death. What's the saddest song you have ever heard?

That’s a tough one, and there are several songs that are sad, but I can’t think of what would be the very saddest one I ever heard. Three that come to mind are: I Will Always Love You by Dolly Parton, He Stopped Loving Her Today sung by George Jones, and Silver Wings, sung by Merle Haggard. The song featured today is truly a very sad song and so true for so many. It is heartbreaking.

8) This week's featured artist, Tim McGraw, has a star on Hollywood Walk of Fame. It's near those honoring William Shatner and Julie Andrews. If you could have lunch with one of those luminaries -- Tim McGraw, William Shatner or Julie Andrews -- which would you choose? 

Probably Tim McGraw. I think I could probably relate to him better than either of the other two, although having lunch with Julie Andrews might be nice. The Sound of Music was one of my favorite movies and we took a Sound of Music tour through Austria and Germany several years ago.

9) Random Question: Think of the last thing you bought. Was it a wise purchase? 

The last thing I bought was two dwarf Alberta Spruces, a yew shrub and two crape myrtle bushes. Yes, I do believe it was a wise purchase as I need the shrubberies. They will all be planted tomorrow, along with a couple of rosebushes I bought.


10 comments:

The Gal Herself said...

"He Stopped Loving Her Today" -- OH! I remember the first time I really listened to that song. "They placed a wreath on his door and carried him away. He stopped loving her today." I was at dinner with my family, I was beyond bored, so I let the jukebox distract and entertain me. Maybe it's because young girls are especially romantic, and hormonal, but that one really got me!

Lori said...

Thank-you to your family that served and to your family that is essential workers! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Bev Sykes said...

Your family has really done its duty serving others. Loved the photo of your son...and thank you to him for his work in the pandemic.

Wanda said...

Thanks to your family and their service to our country.
Always enjoy reading your answers and seeing the pictures.

CountryDew said...

Another firefighter family. Love those firefighters. I forgot that since my retired firefighter husband and I run a farm, we were considered essential workers, too. It's just what we do.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Really enjoy reading your posts. And.... Soldiers and Fire fighters are the bravest people I know.

songbird's crazy world said...

Fried chicken sounds great. Loved your answers.

Stacy said...

What a proud military heritage your family has! Many thanks to all of them and also to those on the frontlines during the pandemic. I hope your weekend is blessed.

Linda said...

I enjoyed your answers, I forgot all about the meme as we were out and about today. smiles

Terri D said...

You picked three really great songs! I am hurrying through to catch up while I have a couple of hours here. xo