On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Wednesday Medley and Wiener Warmers!!

It's time for another Wednesday Medley medley of questions from Terri, Your Friend from Florida. No rules and there is no obligation. Link up if you want to.  This makes for a fun Wednesday blog and, if you are interested, then I invite you to join in and link up with other ‘Meddlers’ tomorrow!! 



1. Typically served as an hors d'oeuvre, have you ever made or had a Pig-in-a-Blanket? Do you like Pigs-in-a-Blanket?

Sure. They are usually served at a Christmas potluck or brunch: sausages in a Pillsbury crescent roll. The Pancake House also had pancakes wrapped around sausage on their menu. 

2. Pigs-in-a-blanket are also known as devils on horseback, kilted sausages, and wiener winks. (Seriously.) Please make up another name for this fun little appetizer! 

I like the Wiener Winks, but how about “Wiener Warmers?” Or Lazy Pigs since Pigs in a blanket are wrapped up in something and just lay there.

3. In the UK, pigs-in-blankets are small sausages, or chipolatas wrapped up in bacon. Which country's version is most appealing to your taste buds? 
Not the U.K. version! 

4. The first written record of pigs-in-a-blanket occurs in Betty Crocker's Cooking for Kids in 1957. In this digital world, do you still have a favorite cookbook you use most of the time? Is there a recipe you can share with us from that cookbook?

Before the Internet and Pinterest, my Betty Crocker cookbook and my Betty Crocker Dinner for Two cook book were my favorites. The oatmeal raisin cookies have been baked over and over again. And the Dinner for Two cookbook guided me with menu ideas each week, which helped me tremendously when I first married. I shopped for the listed ingredients and cooked straight from the book! 

We ate from the "Frankly Thrifty" section quite often.


Always a success!

5. What is your favorite cooking show on TV? 

I like Pioneer Woman, Alton Brown, and Barefoot Contessa. 

6. Tell us something random about your week, please.

Last night we celebrated our grandson Jack’s 8th birthday. His restaurant of choice was the Lazy Dog restaurant, and from all the wonderful choices on the menu, he ordered a Nathan‘s hotdog. I thought that was funny. 


We had so much fun at the restaurant with plenty of laughter and sharing funny stories. Then we had cake and ice cream at our house. Jack had specifically asked for a one layer cake with chocolate chip cookies forming a circle on top, and vanilla ice cream in the center of the circle. He also wanted some Cookie Monster ice cream on the side! 🤢 he told me it all met up with his expectations and imagination! That boy!





This evening we are going over to see the second graders sing. He sang the song Buenos Dias for us last night just in case we don’t make it over there. Kate played Happy Birthday on the piano and we all sang to him. It was a wonderful evening. 

9 comments:

Jodi said...

Happy Birthday to Jackson! I have that same Betty Crocker cookbook (the red one). Have a great Wednesday!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

Your Jack Boy had some specific expectations and no doubt his Nonnie would deliver. He is such a cutie. By the way, Oatmeal Raisin Cookies are my husband's favorite. We'll take a dozen! LOL!

Stacy said...

Happy birthday to Jack! It looks like he had a wonderful time celebrating. I love the Betty Crocker Cookbook. My grandmother gave me a paperback copy when I was in junior high and I learned to cook using it. When we had to empty out Nana's house the first thing I claimed was her hard cover edition, which I still use. I enjoyed your answers today. Have a great week!

Terri D said...

Jack had a great birthday!! What a great idea to put the ice cream right on the cake! A new tradition, perhaps! A very fun post!! Thanks for joining the Medley and the Pioneer Woman wins again! We all seem to like her!

Mevely317 said...

Happy Birthday to Mr. Jack! I love how he knows exactly what he wants, and how he wants it. Sounds like he may come to own that proverbial corner office one day!

Annsterw said...

What an adorable kid! Happy birthday Jack! I love the dab photo!!! Impressive!!! Have a fantastic day!

Lori said...

I enjoy Pioneer Woman too. Happy birthday to Jack! Loved your answers! Have a nice week!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Cranberry Morning said...

Happy birthday to that clever boy!! I love his specifications for the birthday cake. Sounds like a fun time. Kids are so fun!

Chatty Crone said...

Happy birthday Jackson. Hey I just read an article about bacon - don't eat too much. I have and still have the very same cookbooks. I did the same thing when I first got married. And I love the Barefoot Contessa.