He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31
Wednesday, February 27, 2019
Strawberry Fields Wednesday Medley
Sitting in a strawberry patch, picking and eating as I try to fill a basket sounds like a delightful thing to do on a warm (not hot) summer day. Terri has come up with another great Medley for us, so all of you know the routine! Go get the questions here, answer, post and link up on her blog!
1. Given all that information on this National Strawberry Day, do you have a favorite recipe for strawberries?
I like them dipped in dark chocolate, but only ever did that myself once for a baby shower. Yummy. The other would be trifle … or maybe strawberry shortcake!
Many years ago, we loved a strawberry cake that I made several times. Hmmmm. Will have to look for that.
2. Some people think the smaller, northern varieties are sweeter than the larger berries that grow in the south and in California. What are your thoughts on that?
I never thought about it. I do love a sweet strawberry and now that I think about it, I have noticed the small ones usually taste better.
3. There is a Strawberry Festival right here in Plant City, Florida (next town over from Lakeland) and it is a huge event that lasts 11 days with headliner acts each day. Have you ever been to a Strawberry Festival? No.
4. Strawberries are grown in every US state. Have you ever grown them in your garden?
Not on purpose. However, we had wild strawberry vines growing in our flower bed at our old house. Our neighbor had a bird feeder between our houses and the birds were always there and needless to say, they left their deposits, which resulted in the strawberry vines.
5. Strawberry is the only fruit that has seeds on the outside, and technically it is not a berry but rather a fruit, and would you be surprised to learn that strawberries belong to the rose family? Do you have any strawberry trivia to share with us?
Not really. The last time I watched the BBC production of Emma, the strawberries they picked at Mr. Knightley’s were beautiful and left me craving a juicy strawberry. I also had a favorite dark blue skirt with strawberry print and a red top with a on it! I really enjoyed wearing that back in the 80’s!
6. Tell us something random about your week!!
It is a fairly routine kind of week with Bible studies, grocery shopping, etc. I have been invited to join a book club and wondering whether I really need to make another commitment. Having never belonged to a book club before, I’m not sure I want to commit to reading that I didn’t choose.