On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Wednesday Medley


National Candy Cane Day is observed across the United States each year on December 26.
In 1844, a recipe for a straight peppermint candy stick, which was white with colored stripes, was published. However, some stories tell of all white candy sticks in much earlier times.  There are folklore tales of the origin of the candy cane, yet there is no documented proof of its real beginning. It has been mentioned in literature since 1866 and was first known to be mentioned in association with Christmas in 1874.   As early as 1882, candy canes have been hung on Christmas trees.
1.  Are there candy canes left in your house right now?  Did you hang some on your tree?  Do you even like them?
Yes, there are candy canes in our house right now ... and on our tree! Meh! I really am not a fan, but the kids love them and they are a staple at Christmas time. 


2.  Without a graphic, today is also National Thank You Note Day!  I like receiving that thank you note in the mail for a gift I have given.  Are you good about getting thank you notes in the mail after Christmas (or any occasion calling for a note)?

Yes, I love to receive thank you cards and I love sending them. I think it is an important thing to show gratitude for even the smallest gift. It is the thought that counts and when someone has taken the time to send a note of thanks, it is appreciated. Gratitude is good for you! Our daughter is training her sons in this area and I think it is a wonderful thing to teach your children to do. I especially love their little notes. From the Health @ Harvard.edu:
"In positive psychology research, gratitude is strongly and consistently associated with greater happiness. Gratitude helps people feel more positive emotions, relish good experiences, improve their health, deal with adversity, and build strong relationships."

3.  How are you feeling on this day after Christmas?  Tired, let down, still glowing?  I have felt all of those at one time or another and sometimes all of them at once! Tell us about it.
I am feeling especially blessed due to this wonderful Christmas we enjoyed! Thank You to God for His wonderful gift and I am thankful for my family to spend Christmas with. What a beautiful day we enjoyed with our son and his family. 

I do feel those let down feelings throughout the season from time to time ... Thanksgiving to the New Year. It is a melancholy feeling of another year passing and missing those who are no longer with us. It has left me wondering about the future. But I recount the blessings of life and know there is hope and God has all my days in His hand, especially knowing His mercies are new every day and He is always with us. 
4  It is "tradition" to leave the tree and decorations up until after January 6th, to honor the Epiphany. When will your boxes be packed and put away until next year?  Are you, like me, thinking about doing it right now?
No. They will be left up until January 6th. Then I will be happy to pack them up!
5. Looking ahead to New Year's Eve, do you have plans?  Have you ever celebrated big in New York's Time Square? Would you even want to be there?
I'm not sure yet what we will do on New Year's Eve. We've never been to NYC during Christmas and New Year's Eve. It would be exciting to see all the lights, but no, I think I will pass on all the crazy crowds. Too much for us!
6. Tell us something random about your week so far!
It's been a very enjoyable week. A fun Christmas party with our life group, Christmas Eve service, dinner afterward with the kids and Christmas Day with our son and family. 
Dinner together after Christmas Eve service
Hoping everybody had a holly, jolly, and blessed Christmas this year!

5 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Your tree is spectacular!
'Thinking I need to take a page from you about sending handwritten thank-you notes. How well I recall my mother setting up the card table in our living room Christmas afternoon and making me write them. Oh, the struggle to sound sincere! (*smile*)
If I don't get back around before then, I hope yoU enjoy a very Happy New Year!

Cathy said...

It sounds like you've had a wonderful Christmas and I hope you New Year is wonderful too.

Chatty Crone said...

Merry Christmas.
I have candy canes here too - but like you not a fan of them. i do like peppermint tho. I too am like you with thank you notes - I was raised that way. Taught my children to do it - took with the daughter not the son. I was kind of glad for the day after Christmas. I just feel we celebrate Christmas at times with too much stuff. I think we will take our tree down this weekend -I never heard the rule on January 6th. New York is too big for us too. Happy New Year. sandie

Stacy said...

Merry Christmas! Thank you for opening up your celebrations to us...such beautiful pictures and smiles!
What you shared about gratitude and looking at the good is spot on. I watched a video a couple of years ago about a study that showed when you focus on the bad, it retrains your brain and that becomes your go-to response to everything if you let it get away from you. Focusing on the positives can train it back the other way. Seems they knew what they were talking about all those years ago when they said to count our blessings.

Terri D said...

Thanks for joining the Medley today!! Your Christmas sounds like it was just lovely and I love your family photo! Wishing you a blessed 2019!