On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Saturday 9: Stars and Stripes Forever

Joining up with Sam for Saturday 9: Stars and Stripes Forever.




Saturday 9: Stars and Stripes Forever by The Muppets
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle. Though our song choice is humorous, we honor their sacrifice in our hearts.


1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. War memorials, as well as the graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers on this day to show our appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood? No.

2) Andrew Johnson, our 17th President, was in office the first time Memorial Day (then called Decoration Day) was celebrated. Have you ever met one of our 45 Presidents? 

No. Does it count that our son got to shake President George W. Bush's hand when he came to visit following 911?

Our son is the tall one!

3) According to the AAA, 36 million Americans will hit the road this weekend and drive more than 50 miles. Will you be traveling far from home this weekend? No.

4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food? 
Fried chicken, potato salad, baked beans.

5) Have you packed away your winter clothes? Kind of.
Or is the weather still so changeable that you still may need something warm?

My closet is big and I just switch things around and cover the winter clothes with plastic. Right now, all that is needed for cool weather is a light jacket and, most likely, that won't be needed after this week. As I write this, it is 97 degrees! No jacket needed today!!

6) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on? AC is on.

7) This week, we are featuring the Muppets. Jim Henson made the first Muppet out of an old coat, and he used ping pong balls for the eyes. Do you have a talent for do-it-yourself/arts and crafts projects? No.

8) Random question: Think of the last thing you bought. Did you get a good deal?

The last thing I purchased was a pair of shoes at DSW. As the cashier rang up the shoes, she said Happy Birthday! When she said that, I was reminded that a $5 coupon was on my kitchen counter at home. Oh no! She asked if I had an email from them on my phone and I did, so I think it was a fair deal.

9) Crazy Sam needs your help: What song or a performer would you like to see featured in a Saturday 9 this summer? You'll begin seeing your suggestions as Saturday 9 themes in mid-June. Thanks! Anything from the 50's or 60's. Most of the featured songs here I have never heard. Maybe some Motown singers, or the Beach Boys. 

10 comments:

Linda said...

I enjoyed your answers. Happy Memorial Day to you.

The Gal Herself said...

#2 Of course it counts! President Bush was so important to all of us at that time.

#9 is funny. We asked a question about Diana Ross a few weeks ago got a "who?" kinda answer. But then when we do modern songs, we also get "who?" kinda answers! So we try to choose songs from different decades each week (last week it was Paul Revere and the Raiders) and hope for the best! Thanks for your recommendation and watch for it in a future Saturday 9.

Melanie said...

Oh gosh, love the Swedish Chef and Beeker! I enjoyed your answers. I would love to have shook Pres Bush's hand! Have a great weekend.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

On the second question, sure, and of course it counts. That picture must be a treasure.
That was a nice birthday surprise.
Enjoyed reading your answers, and yes, "wouldn't it be fine" if we have a Beach Boys song?

CountryDew said...

Your son is a firefighter? Those look like firefighters. My husband is a firefighter, too. That was a tough time, after 9/11. Very tough.

annie said...

I enjoyed your answers! And I joined in too. Wonderful photo of your son too.

I am Harriet said...

Good gravy. I'm like the only person who has not shaken the hand of a politician :)

Kwizgiver said...

I think I would probably make a stammering fool of myself if I ever met a President.

Stacy said...

97 degrees?! I don't want it to get that hot, but I'd take a little of that. This has been such a cool, wet spring for us.
Having email on my phone has saved me more than once in the checkout line!

JLS Hall said...

Motown is a great suggestion. Some really good tunes there.
Seems a lot of people got to meet President Bush. I'm sort of beginning to wish he was still in office!

Have a wonderful week!