On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Do You Hoard Hodgepodge?

It is time for another Hodgepodge and here we are a little more than halfway through the month of May! 

1. May 17th is National Pack Rat Day. Sidebar-should we be celebrating this? Hmmm...

Are you a pack rat? Even if you're not a full fledged pack rat, most people have one thing or another they struggle to part with. Tell us what's yours.

Sentimental objects of no value other than the means by which they came. I have a difficult time parting with silly things, such as small items received at a retreat or an example would be a dried rose on my kitchen counter. It was part of a bouquet I received. Why am I saving that, for Pete's sake? Why do I save birthday cards? Other than those kinds of things, I try to keep the clutter down. My DH, on the other hand, can't bear to let anything go.

2. What are two things you know you should know how to do, but you don't?

Fold a fitted sheet properly and parallel park. Both are a struggle and I can manage, but not to perfection.

3. Do you crave sugar?

I like to have a square of dark chocolate every day. I have jam on my whole grain toast every morning. I love to bake, so when I bake, I feel obligated to eat it. Not sure I crave it and I do discipline myself.

Do you add sugar to your coffee and/or tea? No. Do you use artificial sweeteners or sugar substitutes? No. When dining out is dessert a given? No. Are you someone who has slain the sugar dragon, and if so tell us how you did it.

My mother used to have to hide sweets because I couldn't resist eating all of it, so although the dragon may be lame, it may still be in me.

4. What's a trend it took a while for you to come round to, but now you can't imagine living without?

The cell phone! I saw cell phones as a trend in the 90's and couldn't believe my DH thought we needed them. Now, I can't seem to leave a room without it. I see them as a blessing/curse, but I am thankful for them for many reasons. It's more than a phone!

5. What's a song that reminds you of a specific incident in your life? Please elaborate.

A specific incident I remember is quite silly. Many years ago when I was a legal secretary, we had our cubicles in a central location in the office. Being a democratic group, we decided to take turns listening to our favorite music as we worked. One day the radio happened to be tuned to a country/western station as one of the attorneys walked through with a client on the way to his office. He later came back to tell us he hoped he never had to walk through again and hear the radio blaring out "I'm having daydreams about night things in the middle of the afternoon and every night you make my daydreams come true!" We all had a good laugh over that.

Better memories were Groovin' by the Rascals and instantly, it's a beautiful sunny, Sunday afternoon in Mohawk Park, Tulsa, Oklahoma, cruising around enjoying the day, waving to friends, stopping to visit. Loved those Sunday afternoons.
Lost in the 50's by Ronnie Millsap and I'm slow dancing with DH.


6. Insert your own random thought (s) here.

So proud of Kate, every time she gets up to bat, she has a hit! I love it. And she's ready to run to the next base.

Recipes - Waiting in the doctor's office trying to find a decent magazine to read at least sometimes results in finding a recipe that sounds worth trying. And the beauty of it is, with that "trendy" cell phone, you can take a pic of it instead of trying to find a scrap of paper to write it all down.


Now I have it. Question is, will I ever use it or will
it be lost in the pile of recipes I can't throw away?


Anne with an E - a friend mentioned she was watching this new version of Anne of Green Gables on Netflix, so, of course, I had to find it and watch. My own personal opinion is I still prefer Megan Follows as Anne, (the 1985 version of Anne), which I never tire of. If it ain't broke, I say, don't fix it.




13 comments:

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

That's true about technology being both a blessing and a curse. There are so many good things about being able to connect with others (socially and for an emergency) yet it can likewise consume some people's lives. Taking a picture of a recipe is a great use of a cell phone. Looks like a delicious recipe!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

I wasn't comfortable sharing this on the blog, but I will with you. The song, "A Time For Us" from West Side Story, and most all of the music from that movie remind me of a guy I was engaged to who was killed in an automobile accident. One would think after almost 55 years, that association would be gone, but its not. Loved the dancing with your DH memory and I guess that's what reminded me. Yes, that little gadget called a smart phone has inserted itself into our lives most definitely. Enjoy the rest of your week.

Preppy Empty Nester said...

We both feel the same way about parallel parking. I also agree with you on the fitted sheet. Hope you have a wonderful week!

Debbie said...

Oh how I fought the i-phone too...and yet like you, now I can't leave a room without it. Soo handy. I should have used parallel parking too as I have yet to master that, and it came into play just yesterday. I had to drive around the block a couple of times waiting for a spot I might be able to get in to. And I did not know the new Anne of Green Gables was on Netflix already. (I've been stuck on Hulu recently) but I am with you....I sooo loved the original gal it might be hard to watch someone else in that role! Enjoy your day!

Visits With Mary said...

Enjoyed all your answers! I got a {{giggle}} from your story of "daydreams about night things." Hope you're having a great day!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Anne with an E would be ME. My middle name is ANNE, given to me by my mother, who loved Anne of Green Gables, and the fact that I was a redhead made it all the more important that I have that middle name! Parallel parking caused me to fail my driver's test the first time I took it. So I still avoid it when I can. Fitted sheets? I solved that problem...I wash the sheet, and put it back on the bed...so I don't have to fold it! LOL. Great post. Thank you for sharing. I still don't have a smart phone...just a simple flip phone. Sometimes I think I should get one...but then I watch others so attached to it I balk and say, not for me! Until we are lost and I wish I could google a map on the road...

maddie/cadesmimi said...

I loved your song memories :) The first one was so funny!
You know, I still haven't seen either version of Anne of Green Gables, but it's on my list of things I'd like to watch!
Kathy (Reflections)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I save random items like you do and a whole lot more. I too save recipes from magazines and will probably never use them. Enjoyed reading all of your answers. Hope you having a nice week.

Joyce said...

I haven't watched the new Anne, or the old one either. It's a book I just don't want to see in television form. I've heard the new one is well done. When we travel I often take pics of signs describing what we're seeing, as that saves time and brain cells later : ) Have a great day!

NanaDiana said...

I love these random thoughts/hodgepodge, Connie. They are always fun to read. I am going to watch the new Anne. I read the books but I don't think I ever saw the old movie...so if I have nothing to compare it to--it should be good, right?

I had a bag phone back in the 90s and man- you counted every minute you used the phone because that was the way they charged you back then. I love my Iphone and the fact I can take pictures with it and do just about anything else I need to do on it. Except blogging -I have not mastered that! lol

Have a great night- xo Diana

Jill said...

I haven't seen any movies of Anne of Green gables yet, I heard it was coming to Netflix but last time I looked I didn't see it... I will have to check again :-) I do love having my cell phone, it's good for so many things and I do the same if I want to save a recipe or something I just snap a picture! Have a great evening! I hope your husband is doing well since his surgery. I continue to keep him in prayer.

Blessings,
Jill

Terri D said...

Oh boy, I love those songs you mentioned!! This was a fun Hodgepodge and I sure enjoyed your answers!

Aritha V. said...

I love to read all your answers