On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

A Solo Black and White Wednesday

Terri has mentioned a couple of times how she enjoys looking at the old photos to see clothes and hair so I thought today I would focus on a few from the 40's and 50's. 

This one actually goes way back before the 40's, but I am including it because of the long dress and the flowered hat. I have no idea who the lady is, but she is with my Grandpa McCoy and so this was taken before he married Grandma. (Of course, silly!)


Brrr!! 
Mom with a friend. I've always liked jumpers and I hope that is a warm sweater she is wearing under the jumper. Her friend looks really cold in that cotton dress. I like her hair though!

Looks somewhat like a rickety photo booth
with the little fake picture background.
This outfit reminds me of our glee club outfits in junior high.

I don't know who she is, but she
has pretty features. I don't understand the hair.

Curly Top Cutie.


Mom with a rat in her hair! Yikes!
They also curled their hair in rags.

She seemed to favor dresses with cute bows.


A nice little Sunday suit.

Cute little ankle strap heels!

My Aunt Nancy still wearing braids and holding her doll. 
When her hair was finally cut, Granny saved the braids still with the red bows on each one.
I was always fascinated with those braids which Granny kept in the box of old photos and
still remember the feel of the thick braids and satin ribbons.

I like this photo because of the different expressions.
My Dad never enjoyed having his picture taken and they've interrupted his smoking time.
(He is also probably ready to head for home.)
I'm just kind of there while Mom looks adoringly at my little sister.
Grandad isn't enjoying the moment either. I wonder if he is ticked at Nancy.
Granny just keeps on smiling and wearing that interesting hat.
Nancy is pouting because she didn't get to hold the baby.
She is wearing a silk jacket Uncle Sonny brought back from Japan.
Great Grandma Sanders looking fairly pleasant. Her clothes style never changed.

Cousin Elaine looked pretty much the 50's teen here.



Aunt Nancy ready to graduate with a shorter hair style and her
pretty white dress and pumps.

Granny dressed up for church … wearing another little hat!


Up until the 70's when pantsuits became popular, my mother always wore dresses … when working in the house, working in the yard, going shopping or to church she wore dresses. She welcomed the pantsuits because "they cover my legs." Whatever she wore, she always looked nice and she always accessorized. When I was little and played dress-up, I too wore a dress, "because Mothers wear dresses."

Dress up wearing one of her old dresses and heels.

I imitated my Mother in many ways, including enjoying the feel of a pair of scissors in my hand ready to cut off the hair of any willing or unwilling victim!!! LOL!! I got in trouble for cutting my hair and also the dolls' hair! And a few years later, I cut my sister's and my brother's hair! Oh boy! I never did learn.

And here my Mom is getting ready to plant a few flowers … wearing her flowered skirt for the occasion.

I think she is holding the seeds and spade in one hand. Notice she's even wearing flats. No tennis shoes! Personally, I liked that flower bed for making roads and hills and little ponds for playing with all my cars and pretending I lived on a hill!











14 comments:

Susie said...

Nonnie, I love those old photos too. I remember men wearing hats. I love the style of the graduation dress. Your mother's polka dot outfit is pretty too. I still love some of the older styles better than the things selling today. LOL. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Visits With Mary said...

I enjoyed all your pictures. Brought back memories of my own family during those years. My older brother had beautiful curly hair when he had his first haircut Mother saved a curl, she put it in a pretty handkerchief and kept it in her picture box.

Karen said...

You are blessed to have so many photos from those years. Your mother has such pretty hair!

Jill said...

Looking back on photos is so wonderful, so many great memories too. I enjoy seeing the old styles and hair dos they had back then... my girls find my hairstyle from the 80's hysterical, lol.... Have a great day!

Blessings,
Jill

Annie said...

Wonderful old photos. I love the stories behind them.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I LOVE your black and white photos...every one of them. Thank you for doing this. I forgot about it again...

Terri D said...

You have a treasure-trove of such great old photos! I do love seeing the clothing and hairstyles! I had several jumpers back in the day and loved wearing them. Do you think that style will ever return? Hats! I remember when all women wore one to church and not just on Easter Sunday. We really have lost something along the way, I think. A certain style... I love your post!!

NanaDiana said...

Don't laugh- I wear a skirt/top or dress most of the time unless I am working outside. LOL. I was not allowed to wear pants as a child/teen so never felt comfortable in them.

Your photos are just precious and I love the one of your dad looking ticked off that he has to have his picture taken. How funny is that!?!

Hope you have a great night. xo Diana

Dianna said...

Loved, Loved, Loved these, Connie! The picture of your mom in the jumper with her friend in the cotton dress could easily have been my mother and her best friend in that same time frame. Your mother was such an attractive lady. And the picture of you dressed up in your mother's heels and a dress is priceless! Thanks so much for sharing these with us.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

Another interesting post, Connie, full of nostalgia. My mother didn't own a pair of pants until she was in her 60's or 70's. And my grandmother always wore the same style dress as yours. You look so much like your pretty mother. You must have had a very happy childhood with such great memories.

Melanie said...

What sweet photos! Lots of memories here, Connie. I have a gazillion of photos like this of my family. Someday I need to scan them and share them too. Have a lovely day.

Chatty Crone said...

I just loved the photo with all the expressions - boy you cannot hide them from the camera. Your mother looked tall. I loved the clothes. They sure did dress up more than at least I do these days. I remember photos of my parents in clothes like that. sandie

Joyful said...

I enjoyed seeing all your vintage photos. I especially like seeing how the women dressed and did their hair and your mom seemed like a very fashionable woman of the time in classic dress. Seeing you in your mom's clothing reminded me how I used to love to dress up in my mom's clothes and shoes and make up too.

Rebecca said...

Sometimes I think all vintage photos are of the SAME people! These look like photos of MY mother! 😃