On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Saturday, May 5, 2018

Saturday 9: Standing on the Corner


Standing on the Corner

Saturday 9: Standing on the Corner (1956)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

I remember this song well, but didn't know it was written for a musical. But I was just a little girl when this one came out. My Granny had a nice record collection and she would dance with us to song like these. Funny, today is her birthday and she would be 111 years old. She's forever young in Heaven. 

1) In this song, four friends congregate on Main Street to look longingly at pretty girls. In your town, where is the best place for people watching?

Probably the food court at our closest large mall. There is so much activity there and a carousel for the little ones. It is fun to watch the kiddos riding around in circles and seeing their happy faces as they wave to proud parents or grandparents. People walking about ... seated at tables ... waiting in lines. It's all good.

2) This song was written for the Broadway musical, The Most Happy Fella. Who is the happiest person you know?

Our grandson, Jack.



3) The members of The Four Lads met at Toronto's St. Michael's Choir School. Growing up, did you attend parochial or public school?

Public school all the way. If I had children now, I think a parochial school or home schooling would be best.

4) The Four Lads always wore jackets and ties when they performed. Do you enjoying dressing up? Or would you rather keep it casual?

I'm casual for the most part, but I enjoy dressing up on occasion, especially if I have a dress I love that fits well and a pair of comfortable shoes to go with the dress.

5) While this song was a hit for The Four Lads, they were completely overshadowed in 1956 by Elvis Presley and "Heartbreak Hotel." Who do you think dominates today's music scene?

I have no idea since I don't listen to popular music. The last time I was familiar with popular music was in the 60's. Then I switched over to country-western in the 70's, then over to Christian contemporary in the 80's, and in the 90's settled on my favorite music of all which is praise and worship.

6) The Wizard of Oz aired on TV for the first time in 1956. Sam was never crazy about those flying monkeys. Tell us about something that frightened you when you were a kid.

The dark. I had nightmares about monkeys years before I ever saw The Wizard of Oz.

7) What scares you now?

I think the changes I see in our society as I have gotten older. The hatred and the vicious attacks on people. It's also scary to me to drive in heavy rainstorms.

8) Since this week's song is about pretty girls: 1956's Miss America was Sharon Ritchie of Colorado. Today Colorado has the distinction of being the home of more microbreweries than any other state in the union. Which are you most particular about -- your beer, your wine, or your coffee?

Coffee. I love a good cup of coffee first thing in the morning and am constantly on the lookout for the perfect brew.

9) Random question: We all have small, irritating habits, like soup slurping or not replacing the cap on the toothpaste. What's your nasty little habit?

I don't think it is a nasty habit, but it is a very bad habit that I so wish I could break and that is constantly biting my lips. It probably bugs other people to see me biting my lips so much.





6 comments:

The Gal Herself said...

How cool is it that we have a song that reminds you of your grandmother on her birthday? That's great!

Jack certainly does look like a most happy fella.

CountryDew said...

I don't recall ever being afraid of the dark. I must have been at some point - isn't every child? But I don't remember it. Your grandson has a lovely smile.

Annie said...

Jack looks like a happy kid!
I love these kind of things that let people learn about others.
Have a wonderful weekend.

Kwizgiver said...

I worry that the curriculum at parochial school isn't as rigorous as public school.

Terri D said...

I'm glad to see another Saturday 9 today!! I enjoyed your answers. Seems lots of folks hated those monkeys! I was more concerned about vampires!! LOL

I am Harriet said...

Food courts can be quite interesting. Ours has a carousel as well.