On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Friday, May 11, 2018

Birthday Week Summary 2018

This has been a very full week! On the calendar for Monday was a birthday lunch with my dear friend, Connie. It's always good to get away with this longtime friend and just enjoy the time together. Front porch at Cracker Barrel was quite pleasant that day.


Monday night was Kate's last softball game of the season and it was a good game. It was disappointing to see her strike out when she was up to bat, so later with only five minutes to go in the game, I finally gave in to Jack begging me to take him over to the park. That boy is such a charmer! He had already gotten five dollars from me and now he wanted to go to the park. So I did. And wouldn't you know!

The bases were loaded and Kate was up to bat again. There were two outs. Kate had a full count and the coach pitched one that she hit. It was a hard grounder to third and brought the girl on third home to win the game. Wah!!!! And I missed it!

Also on Monday, my sister called to tell me her daughter had planned a trip to this area. She wanted to see if my schedule would allow her coming to stay with us for a few days and, if so, she would tag along with her daughter. Well, of course! So on Tuesday morning my sister was here to visit Ladies of Grace with me. After that, we went over to McKinney for a little shopping on the square and some lunch. Lunch was a yummy grilled ham/cheese/peach jam sandwich on jalapeƱo-cheese bread. I brought home a loaf of that! I also bought a cute, comfy tee shirt to wear around the house that said "Hugs are my drugs"!

Standing on the corner on a windy day!

On Wednesday we went to the final Bible Study Fellowship for Share Day and afterward, had lunch with several of the ladies from my group. We studied the Book of Romans from September until this past week and it was a fantastic study. Lunch was a good time of fellowship and all the ladies welcomed my sister who also does BSF in Oklahoma.



DH and I took her to see The Greatest Showman, which she had not yet seen. I absolutely love that musical - it's fast paced, great singing and amazing dancing and trapeze scenes. We ate soooooo much popcorn during the movie that none of us wanted dinner.

On a last minute impulse, since we were in the neighborhood, we decided to drive by and take a look at our old house. As we drove up in front of the house, I noticed a young woman sitting on a bench and decided to get out of the car and go introduce myself. She was so welcoming and friendly and when I told her I had lived there for 30 years, she invited us in to look around and go out back to see the pool. She even knew my name because of all the junk mail that still comes to that address with our names on it. So many memories there. I had such a difficult time missing that house, it truly brought me joy to see that a loving and happy family lives in our old house and has taken good care of it! 

The back yard had changed quite a bit as had the interior of the house, but this is the only picture I took. I really wouldn't want a stranger coming in and taking pictures of my house. When we lived there, we had a humongous sycamore tree where the little tree above is now. She told me the big tree had gotten sick and they had to get rid of it. I remember when they dug the pool in 1992 seeing the roots of the sycamore spread out across the back alley!! Amazing. It was annoying because of the fuzzy balls that fell off the tree, but, as evidenced by this pic below, it certainly provided great shade.


Thursday morning we said good-bye to my sister and now that we know her daughter likes to visit this area, maybe Roberta can come more often.


On Thursday I bought a beautiful peace plant to take over to a close friend who lost her sister to suicide last week. It was an extremely tragic situation which left my friend with a very heavy heart. I just wanted to give her some strong hugs and some in person support. I felt so very sad for her as I had been blessed to be enjoying time with my sister this week.

Looking forward to another birthday lunch today with my old friend Susan. She is a precious lady and there is always lots of laughter when we get together. She is one of those people with a great laugh which comes easy to her and often.


Last, but certainly not least, my cutie pie great-niece is now 7 months old and crawling! She is so cute!! I just love her and wish I could see her more often. Julie reports that she LOVES every food she has tried, eats puffs like crazy, is obsessed with her bouncer, adores her doggies, can sit up on her own, and has started to crawl.
❤️


6 comments:

Cathy said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your sister. I'm so glad you had that opportunity. Your little niece is adorable!

I hope you have a great weekend.

Terri D said...

Your great-niece is ADORABLE!! How fun to get a nice visit from your sister! Kind of fun to see your old house. We lived in ours for 28 years and they have made many changes to it. I really felt weird going inside, especially when I didn't like what they did. BUT it is their house now, not ours, and I am so happy in our new home that it really doesn't matter to me. You really can't go home again...

Pamela M. Steiner said...

What a wonderful week full of pictures...so wonderful that your sister and niece could come visit and that you were able to do so much together. Interesting that you were able to go to your old home, and that it was so different. I can't imagine going back "home", thinking of the house I grew up in that my daddy built and lived in for over 50 years. I don't even want to drive past it because I would expect to see my parents come out of the house to welcome me... but I know they are waiting for me in heaven and that is a wonderful hope. So sorry for your friend whose sister died so tragically. I am glad you were able to comfort her. Love the sweet little niece...she is adorable...we don't have any babies around in our family anymore, and I would just love to hold one again. I guess I'll have to wait for a great grandbaby some day! Have a blessed and wonderful weekend with your dear family.

Annie said...

A busy week and wonderful photos.
I am glad you got to see your sister :)
Its wonderful that you were able to visit your old home, very nice of them to let you look around.

Susie said...

Nonnie, I love that cutie pie. Gosh she is growing. Glad you are stretching out your birthday celebrations. Kris and I think birthdays should last the month. Good for your little grand girl's RBI winning the game. You have a great group. Blessings to all, xoxo, Susie

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Oh my, sorry you missed that hit! You have been so busy. I bought The Greatest Showman to show to my dad this summer. Your great niece is adorable. I now have a great-great nephew. I will see him in June when I visit my dad for his 95th birthday.