On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

A Restful Holiday and MVP Grandson

"Well, everybody else is doing it!!!" That old line was used many times, but it just didn't work at our house when I was growing up. You know the response to that, I'm sure. "If everybody else jumped off a cliff, would you, too?"


Friends and family all had something interesting planned for the weekend, but we had nothing! (We did have a couple of invitations, but it wasn't that appealing.) Sitting around the house is all right, but I just felt it would be good for DH to be able to sit around and do nothing in different surroundings with a change of scenery. After multiple attempts to find a lake house to rent that wasn't too far away, I found one at a lake in East Texas which I had never heard of. 

This is from the Internet, since I never was able to get a good picture of the lake. Lake Hawkins really was a beautiful lake.

So we made the commitment, loaded up and were on our way. Even Annie got to come along! 


This pic of the house where we stayed does not in any way reflect the interior! It was amazing with every kind of amenity you could think of and so fresh and clean. Four bedrooms, three levels, several decks, a hot tub, surrounded by beautiful trees, and a TV we could operate!! LOL! It was a very restful couple of days. We watched the PBS Memorial Day Tribute which was very moving. We also watched Patton and Midway which really suited DH. For me, walking the dog was very pleasant as the property was so big and Annie had lots of things to explore.



Looking down the road at the lake.

Early morning sunrise.


We did indeed have a wonderful time and found a couple of nearby restaurants. I had taken groceries for snacks and breakfast, and the owners had left a pan of delicious cinnamon buns! All in all, it was good, but we both were glad to return home yesterday. One thing I discovered though and that is that my DH can enjoy sitting at home just as much as away from home. It just takes too much energy for him these days to want to go exploring or hiking. From now on, I think the contentment we find here will be quite enough! There is truly no place like home.

And over the weekend, our grandson's soccer team played for state championship. And won!

With his coaches.



And, as if that weren't enough, here he is being awarded the Offensive MVP for his school soccer team. He is the only 5th grader who was permitted to play on the school team! 

Brady excels in so many things! He is an excellent student, a high achiever, responsible, kind and a great athlete! Many other wonderful words describe him, but I will leave it at that! (And I think it goes without saying what a handsome boy he is!)






6 comments:

Terri D said...

He is handsome and talented indeed! Congratulations!! The get-away place looks peaceful and very nice! Fun to find a lake you hadn't heard of. I'm sure the time away did you good, too! Thanks for sharing!

Susie said...

Congrats to Brady. You must be proud and he is a cutie pie too. :) I loved all you pictures from your time at the lake. I hope it made a good time for DH too. I love the quiet out of the way places. Blessings to all, xoxo, Susie

Sylvia said...

Congrats to your grandson! Love the screen porch in the house you stayed in and oh yes, Connie, I remember my mother saying those exact words to me.

Karen said...

Great job, Brady!

Annie said...

Woo Hoo Brady! That's just wonderful.
I like the photo of Annie on the porch! She looks happy.
As Jane Austen said, "There is nothing like staying home for real comfort". But sometimes getting away helps us know that is true.
I was always more appreciative of home after I had gone away for a bit.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Yep, that was the response and I still use it!! I'm so happy to hear that you got away and that the place was so nice. We use to go to a cabin in Mammoth Lakes, CA which we loved. Lots of hiking to do. But then I couldn't hike with Mark anymore and we eventually stopped going. It's nice to be home. Way to go Brady. What an exciting weekend for him.