On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Old Friends

Last Wednesday I met these dear ladies for lunch at our usual place, Luby's Cafeteria. Three times a year we meet ... for each birthday! We have been friends since we met in 1973 at the law firm where we worked. 

Paralegal Nancy on the left
Sherri, the receptionist in the center.
Connie, legal assistant to our boss who later
encouraged and helped me to become a paralegal also.



Here's the little cutie being contained while Mommy has work to do.
I would gladly post bail for this sweet baby girl.

DH lost his wedding ring several months ago and I have tried to get him into a jewelry store to fit him for a new ring. Finally, got his ring finger sized and since I had done some searching, I found a nice gold band on Amazon, which I ordered last week. After watching the door every day for the UPS man to come, it finally arrived. I tore into the cardboard box


which held a plastic baggie,
which held a box,
which held a little black velvet bag.
But alas ... no ring to be found!
What a bummer!

So I immediately contacted Amazon as I didn't want any time to get away from me so they would believe my story. And they did. They credited my card. Now my plan is to pick one up from the jeweler. Lesson learned.

The last two days I have been walking around the nursery trying to figure out what to plant in the pots for the patio. The figure 8 bed in the back yard is doing well and I will be glad when the crape myrtles bloom.


The vitex tree is swarming with bees.

My iPhone can't capture the tiny little bees. :-(

You also can't tell the smaller shrubs have red flowers.
They are autumn sage.

Here are a few of the pots I filled today.




Friday night was really something! Just before dark, our neighbor came knocking on the door asking DH to come look at what was going on with the electrical box between our houses. Wow! Smoke was coming up from the ground - not the box - but the ground! It was so hot I couldn't believe and, of course, I had to touch the ground to believe it! Ouch!!! It was blazing hot! No flames, just smoke. I called 911 and the fire department came out to take a look and determined the electric company needed to get out here and fix it. It took over an hour for them to arrive, all the while all our neighbors congregating and visiting while the firefighters waited patiently!! 




So thankful that was taken care of before we went to sleep that night! I wonder if it might have burst into flames at some point. Oh well. We rest under the shadow of His wings. Years ago, when Kate was a tot, we would take walks in the neighborhood (mostly to the park), but when we passed the green electrical box, she would always say: "Mommy says, never, ever, never never, ever, never, never TOUCH the green box!" She had that rule down! Now we know why! The electrical man said that was 185 degrees! I know because I touched it!

It is a beautiful day and a weekend to remember those who served and never returned! Prayers for their families. May God give them His comfort and peace. One young man from our church is honored every year. He served twice in Iraq. The second time he went, he really didn't have to go due to an injury. However, he did not want his men to return there without him. Unfortunately, he was the one who didn't come back home.

Restland Cemetary in Dallas

I am thankful that my Dad, and both my nephews returned safely from their overseas duties.



10 comments:

NanaDiana said...

What fun to have a get-together with friends. I don't do that often enough...hardly ever really.

That is kind of scary stuff with the electrical box. Glad someone spotted it and that they fixed it.

Your flowers are beautiful and HOW AWFUL about the ring!!!! So many scammers out there-it is horrible. xo Diana

NanaDiana said...

ps- thanks for popping by and leaving a comment about Sissie's brother- Kenny's passing. xo xo

viviene joeli said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pamela M. Steiner said...

so happy you had such a lovely time with your friends from work. That is really sweet. Wow! That electrical issue is pretty scary! so glad it had a happy ending, but wow! What if no one had noticed? Praise God...He directed your neighbor to see it and for things to be taken care of. Love all the flowers you are planting...that will be lovely. So sorry about the ring that went missing! That is really a bummer! So glad you got your money back. Love the baby in the playpen. Yes, I would definitely rescue her too!! But oh, those contraptions are a life saver for a busy mommy!!!! Praying for the family and friends of the soldier who did not come back home. He made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. Thank you, sir!!! Have a blessed and peaceful Memorial Day.

Terri D said...

How fun to celebrate birthdays with your former co-workers and good friends! What a crazy thing with smoke coming from the ground!! I've never heard of such a thing. Glad it didn't all burst into flames!

Linda said...

What a blessing to have such good long friendships!!
That hot ground was scary!! What in the world made it do that?? So grateful it was noticed and the electric company came out to fix it! Whew!
Love all your flowers and flowering shrubs. We are going home Wednesday and I hope eveything is still alive. We lined up friends to water for us.
Happy Birthday to ALL three of you!!!

Sylvia said...

Love all your flowers and plants. Isn't it great that Spring is finally here and we can enjoy all it's beauty!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

I so enjoyed reading this newsy post. I feel like I’ve been away much too long. What is the purple plant? All of them will make such a statement on your patio.

Cathy said...

Your flowers are so pretty. Thank you to your dad and nephews for serving.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

The plants are lovely. That is really sad about the ring. My husband had to have his ring cute off last week when he was fishing. He was actually bleeding it got so tight on him so he needs a new one too. Fun birthday gatherings. So glad that issue was taken care of before things got out of hand. Have a nice week.