On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

A Bye Bye January Hodgepodge


1. Speaking of endings....at your wit's end, at loose ends, a dead end, burn the candle at both ends, all's well that end's well, or no end in sight...which 'end' phrase might best be applied to your life lately? Explain.  

Sometimes it seems that over the past year there is no end in sight in getting things repaired around here. As I've shared before, I'm truly thankful that we have been able to keep up with the things that need to be fixed, but I'm wanting to do some other things such as buy new carpet and have the interior painted. I'm hesitant to spend money right now as there seems to be no end in sight of more pressing problems. 

2. What was a must have accessory when you were growing up?

The first thing that comes to mind would be a watch. In the 50's and 60's there were no cell phones and so I remembering wanting a watch as young as third grade. The other item might be a purse. Did you own one? Yes to both. When I was in 5th grade I got a Disney Cinderella watch. 


If so, tell us what you remember about it. 

The thing about the Cinderella watch was that I was thrilled to receive it ... that is, until we went back to school after Christmas holiday and my best friend was wearing a "real" grown-up type watch that had a pretty band and tiny little chip diamonds on either side of the watch itself. Somehow my Cinderella watch lost its charm and felt very childish.  

3. Something that made you smile yesterday? 

A video our daughter sent me of our grandson at three years singing and playing his toy guitar. His clean version of Folsom Prison Blues made me smile several times as I watched it more than once. 









4. January 30th is National Croissant Day. Do you like croissants? Oh yes. Sweet or savory? Both. We're having chicken salad for lunch...would you rather have yours served on a croissant, a wrap, a bagel, bread, or a roll of some sort?


I love chicken salad served just about any way, but in this case I will take the croissant in honor of the holiday. 
5. Sum up your January in fifteen words or less. 

My January was fairly quiet, pretty cold, somewhat productive, filled with blessings and ...



6.  Insert your own random thought here. 

A conversation this weekend about thank you notes and the different opinions about whether they are necessary. I love sending and receiving thank you notes, or really, any kind of written note. It means a lot to me and I save them. It also means a lot to me to express my gratitude to others when they have been kind to me, given me something ... whatever. Sometimes I just enjoy writing encouragement to someone. 



Part of the conversation also included a thought that it was a burden for family members to write thank you notes after the loss of loved ones. That it puts a burden on them to thank the people who reached out with flowers, food, etc. I was pretty surprised about that, but it was interesting to hear another perspective. 



My own feelings about that? I felt such love from everyone who reached out to me in so many different ways when my husband and parents died, it was an absolute joy to write each thank you because my heart was so filled with gratitude to each one of them. 



This may be a generational thing, but I think it important to teach gratitude. 

14 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

When my dad died, there were some family members who thought it was ridiculous to write thank you notes to those who had sent money as a memorial, even $5 in a card. I read every single loving note and it was a joy to respond to them with my feelings of gratitude and love in a hand written note.

Susie said...

Oh Nonnie, I want to join the fan club of your little star. So adorable. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

Preppy Empty Nester said...

I'm all for thank you notes. Your grandson is darling! Enjoy your week.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh your grandson was so cute!!!!!!!!! Looks similar to my grandson doing the same thing - funny. I am ready for February myself. And I like all croissants but they are high in fat! lol love,sandie

NanaDiana said...

Your grandson reminds me so much of my little CJK. This week he asked me if I KNEW that song and said...did you KNOW that Johnny Cash shot a man "just to watch him die"...lol...I guess he 'got' what the words meant.

Love thank you notes and try to do them. Today's generation has a whole different prospective on hand written notes, etc. Too much FB and other social media, I think. xo Diana

Debbie said...

What a little doll! And he did a really good job! A future star no doubt. Don’t ya just love getting little videos of grands? I am totally with you on the hand written notes. It’s a very special way to r press love and gratitude and is sadly becoming a thing of the past. Enjoy your week!

Nicole Pyles said...

I loved watches growing up! I remember I had a looney tunes watch in grade school that sang the theme when you pressed the button. Then I had a swatch watch in my early teens. And I think in between those years was a water proof watch that smelled bad after it got wet lol. I miss the days when watches were popular actually. I think they are fashionable!

Visits With Mary said...

I love sending/receiving cards. Whether sending or receiving, thank you notes or 'just thinking of you' notes always brighten the day. Your little grandson is precious, a future country star!!

Carla from The River said...

I enjoyed the video. Cute!
I am with you regarding thank you notes, notes of encouragement and just because. Life is hard, that small act of kindness can mean so much.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Yes, I'm with you too on thank you notes. What a cute video, so glad we have the capability to share those things these days. Enjoyable answers!

maddie/cadesmimi said...

Your little grandson made me smile, too. He's precious.
As for thank you notes, I'm with you. I love sending (and receiving) cards and notes of any kind.
Kathy (Reflections)

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I also had a Cinderella watch, but I can't remember how old I was. I'm thinking 3rd grade maybe? Did yours come with a little china Cinderella figurine in a blue dress? I still have mine. It was a gift to me from my grandmother. The watch is long gone. Thank you notes...I am remiss in writing as much as I used to. I've gotten lazy perhaps...and my handwriting has gotten so bad after years of computer work. When our son died I tried to write notes for all gifts, but couldn't write notes for everything like sympathy cards. I thought about it,but found it very difficult at the time to even go back and re-read the cards. It was a very difficult time. I don't know if people expected a thank you note for a sympathy card...I hope they understood. I tried to thank people in person when possible. But I do love to receive hand written notes/cards, so I need to be more diligent to send them whenever possible. thank you for this reminder. Your grandson is adorable, btw.

Terri D said...

Thank you notes will never go out of style (I HOPE!). That video of you grandson is ADORABLE!! He is SO cute! Thanks for sharing it. I'm going to go watch it again when I post this comment! Too cute!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is one precious video. Seriously, why would it be so difficult to write notes after someone's passing. I grew up with cards, thank you notes, letter's, etc. They are all beautiful ways of communication. I won't stop!!