On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Monday, January 29, 2018

Weekend Recap

Our weekend was busy with company. Sara and her family arrived Friday evening with three extra boys in tow to stay the weekend. They were here for a soccer tournament and, while I'm not a huge fan of soccer itself, I am thankful it brings them to town, and also enjoy watching our grandson play.

Playing before bedtime.
Annie loves company.

After feeding everybody a breakfast of oatmeal early Saturday morning, 6:30 am, they were off for an 8:00 game. DH and I opted to miss that game and the 2:00 afternoon game as well due to the cold and wind. I don't want DH to get sick and I certainly cannot because ... well, just because. Noah stayed home with us Saturday most of the day. We watched Iron Giant for maybe the 50th? time, played Farkle, Hearts, and then pulled out a game called Mancala, and watched a tutorial on YouTube to learn how to play. It was fun and we passed the time quite pleasantly.

After the 2:00 game, the boys came back for naps and they were off for a movie together as a team.

Our son came over to leave Kate and Jack to play with Noah for a while and then we went to church, afterward meeting Jason and Amy for Mexican food.

Sunday was an absolutely beautiful day and the boys were not scheduled to play until 11:00. I made them a big breakfast of bacon, eggs and more oatmeal (Dad's rule), along with loads of fruit before they left. Since we had gone to church the night before, I didn't feel too badly about attending the games that day. I must confess that is one reason I am not a fan of soccer. They schedule the games and tournaments having no respect for Sundays and it grieves me to see all those children and families out on the soccer fields all day on Sunday. Not judging, just sorry to see that being such a priority.

Here are some of the photos from the weekend. The boys' Dad had to return home after the first game to attend an afternoon meeting, but Sara stayed here so Brady could finish out the tournament. Barrett took Noah with him and you can see from this photo how happy Noah was to leave. Lol!

Had he stayed, there is no telling how many more rounds of Mancala we would have played.

We had lunch at Babe's Chicken House, filling up on fried chicken, chicken fried steak, fried catfish and lots of good sides. Babe's has signs all over the place with funny sayings.

I didn't realize what the sign said until AFTER I took the pic of DH and Sara.
I like the way the sun rays are coming through.


Haha!!
Actually, you know I kept them both!


Brady and one of his soccer buddies who stayed with us posing in front of Babe's.

Such a sweet boy.


They won all the games of the tournament and went home yesterday evening triumphant.



It was cold out there on the fields yesterday evening, but we dressed warm and those huge flannel gift bags we bought at Christmas to wrap the stuffed animals in came in handy not only for holding our chairs, but as legwarmers!!!



DH and I met Jason and family for burgers at Jake's before coming home to watch the latest episode of Victoria.

Today was quiet and I did work around the house. It wasn't too bad as Sara always does the laundry, putting clean sheets back on the beds, washing towels, and straightening the house in general. I try to tell her that isn't necessary, but she is just good that way. Today I also made two chicken pot pies, one of which we cleaned up at dinner. So delicious. I'm going to take the other one to my friend Victoria tomorrow as she has had so much to deal with the last couple of weeks in addition to everything she deals with on a normal daily basis.

I'm going to have to admit after all the food I've had over the past three days my jeans are quite uncomfortable. I will have to be good this week.




5 comments:

Susie said...

Nonnie, You certainly had a busy weekend. I love seeing your grands. I truly understand why you can not get sick. ..it would be bad enough if DH did. We women have to tend to the men. So stay strong and healthy. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Chatty Crone said...

Well it seems every weekend is busy for you and all filled with fun and loved ones. I totally agree - we have a soccer field right by us and the busiest day is Sunday. You can't get sick - is something wrong? Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder - lol. sandie♥

Cathy said...

It sounds like you had a really nice weekend. Very busy, but fun. So glad you got to spend time with family.

Terri D said...

Congratulations to the team for their success! It sounds like you had a great time! The kiddos are so cute. Great age! Relax and enjoy some slow-down time!

Wanda said...

What a wonderful and busy weekend. Love scrolling through the pictures. Our great grandsons have wrestling on Sundays....I hate that. we don't have Saturday night church, so we don't get to their game real often. Our daughter (their grandma) is more faithful. I wish my grandson could find a sport for them that wasn't on Sunday...but that's not going to happen in our society. When I was growing up...nothing was done on Wed. nights because of Prayer Meeting...boy have things changed.