On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Friday, August 9, 2019

Saturday 9







Tossed Salad and Scrambled Eggs (1993)

Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.

1) This is the theme from Frasier, a TV show that ran from 1993 to 2004. Were you a fan? I have never watched this show.

2) The show is about a radio advice show host, Dr. Frasier Krane. When you listen to the radio, do you tune in for talk or music? Usually talk, as in teaching by David Jeremiah or Chuck Swindoll. When I listen to music, it’s music on my Pandora list.

3) The theme's composer explained that tossed salad and scrambled eggs are both "mixed up," like the people who called Frasier's radio show. Which did you eat more recently, tossed salad or scrambled eggs? A huge salad the other night at Saltgrass.
4) Peri Gilpin played Roz, Frasier's coworker at the radio station. The actress originally cast was Lisa Kudrow, but the show's producers didn't feel she was "right." Being released from Frasier gave her the opportunity to accept a bigger and better part: Phoebe on Friends. Can you think of a time when a setback was really a blessing in disguise? Yes. I was a legal assistant for a law firm for 18 years. When the real estate market turned sour, they laid off four people, but asked me to stay and work part-time. I really couldn’t do that and took the opportunity to find another job. I’m so glad I did because I made new friends and, also, being there caused me to be open to the next place of employment in my life, which was a real blessing with the work and the people. Truly thankful!

5) Dr. Krane shared his home with Martin, his retired dad. Martin's favorite chair was well-worn recliner, held together in parts with tape. Frasier tried to replace it by giving his father a brand-new, expensive leather chair as a gift. Martin wanted his old recliner back. Tell us about a present you either gave or received that wasn't a hit. I usually try to find out what people want or have heard them mention something they like. I have tried several times to "gift" DH with a new pillow because he is never satisfied with his pillow. So far, I’m still looking.

6) Kelsey Grammer played Dr. Krane on three different series (Cheers, Wings and Frasier) over 20 years. What job have you held the longest? The law firm mentioned above for 18 years.

7) Before he found success on Cheers, Grammer played bit parts on the daytime dramas Ryan's World and Another World. Have you ever followed a soap opera? When I got married, my husband suggested that it would be a bad idea to get hooked on soap operas. Of course I did, I began to watch All My Children in 1970, and, after a couple of months, I saw the wisdom of my husband’s advice.

8) In addition to work in front of the camera, Grammer has done voice over work on commercials for Dr. Pepper and Cheerios. Are either of those products in your kitchen right now? We have Cheerios.

9) Random question: You're invited to a party where dinner is served buffet style. There's spaghetti with tomato sauce, barbecue spare ribs and buffalo wings. When the evening is over, how likely are you to have a food stain on your clothes? I’m a very careful eater, never eat ribs in public and don’t eat wings at all. If it is buffet style, I would do my best not to splatter the sauce on me as I poured it, but I guess anything is possible. It's when I'm cooking or doing dishes that I am likely to get a stain. But then, that is why we have aprons!

We will celebrate Kate's birthday Saturday. She requested that I bake her birthday cake. I researched all over the Internet and Pinterest and various cookbooks trying to find a super moist vanilla cake. After baking several cakes and putting on a few extra pounds, I believe I found one that is satisfactory and working on it now. If anyone has what they believe to be a fantastically, moist vanilla cake, I sure would appreciate hearing about it. Chocolate cakes are no problem. I don't know why a vanilla cake is so difficult and am left wondering what is the secret!

It is going to be HOT on Saturday! Kate's party is a pool party, but I'm thinking I will stay in the shade under the fan!









8 comments:

Stacy said...

Enjoy the party today! I'm sure your cake will be yummy. I don't envy you the heat, though. We are to be 77 with low humidity and sunshine all day. Finally, a perfect summer day.

The Gal Herself said...

Glad the job situation turned out to be a happy one. After all, we spend so much of our lives at work.

Good luck with the cake!

Lori said...

My son also requested my mom make him a birthday dinner with vanilla cake. It was really good! She will love everything. Have fun! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Mevely317 said...

I've no good-luck story to to share, but have heard one tip about doubling the amount of eggs called for on the recipe. I hope you'll let us know if you find just the right pillow! I've a love-hate relationship with ours, but cringe at spending big $ on something and not like it.

Susie said...

Nonnie, I remember a waitress saying here's your biscotis and lattes to Frasier and he said, "oh my gosh, say cookies and coffee when dad gets here." He and Niles were always so pretentious and Martin so down to earth. I loved that crazy show. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Chatty Crone said...

We still put it on the DVR and watch it - that was when shows were funny and clean. Can't imagine Lisa as Roz. And I eat more salads but didn't know the meaning of the song. I stain every shirt I wear!
Oh my gosh the heat is hot here - oh vey to my electric bill!
Have fun at the party and stay cool.
Love, sandie

CountryDew said...

Good luck with the cake.

Terri D said...

Have fun at the party! I would join you in the shade, for sure! I usually have trouble getting a moist chocolate cake but rarely have a dry vanilla/yellow cake. Please share your recipe with us!