On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Wednesday Medley and Parchment? Who Knew?


The last Wednesday in June! It is hard to believe and hopefully, July and August won't be too hot or race by too quickly. Join the other Meddlers for the Wednesday Medley. I'm looking forward to seeing all the things that can be done with parchment paper. 

1. Who knew there was a day to celebrate parchment paper?! I certainly did not. Do you ever use parchment when you bake or cook? All the time. Tell us about your favorite way to use it, please.

Baking cookies, rolls, and even meatloaf. Every time I bake cookies, I think of my mom and wish she had known about parchment paper for baking. Her cookie sheets were quite awful looking from build-up. 

2. When Terri thinks of parchment paper, she usually thinks about special writing or artist papers. She loves using specialty papers for creating cards or other art projects. Tell us about a creative way you have used parchment paper other than to bake with!

I can’t think of anything creative I’ve used parchment paper for. I’m not that crafty and when I make cards, it is usually with Hallmark software and I print on card stock. Maybe I need to investigate and use nicer paper for my cards. However, I must insert here that when I think of parchment paper, I think of 2 Timothy 4:13 with the Apostle Paul asking Timothy to bring his cloak, and the scrolls, especially the parchments.





2. Terri used to be in the cake business and has piped many borders and roses and leaves and letters, etc., etc. You can make a pastry bag from parchment paper! Have you ever tried decorating a cake with a pastry bag and specialty tips? No. Do you have a picture to share? Don't be shy, now!

3. Tell us about something you baked or cooked in the past week or so that turned out great, parchment or no parchment. Will you share the recipe? 

I baked that delicious pecan pie bundt cake! This cake is excellent, very moist and the pecan pie topping is good … everybody really likes that, even the kids. The recipe is below. 

4. The last Wednesday in June!! How can that be? Wah! Has your June flown by or have you been able to enjoy each day and make it slow down for you? 

I have enjoyed the rain and the cool temperatures very much. The days are pleasant and fairly quiet, so it has been a good month. It’s difficult to remember what we’ve done because it has been so low-key. And my eyes are a bit wonky from reading so much.

6. Tell us something about your week so far, if you will. 

I’m trying to get some things accomplished around here, but feel I’m spinning my wheels on some of my to-do list. 
Success: The Geek Squad came on Tuesday morning to clean up and diagnose our computers. Good news on all counts and he helped me with the printer and downloading photo problems! Big score with the Geek!!! 
Fail: On Monday, I had a contractor come out to look over and tell me what needs to be done with our deck … repair or replace. He told me, gave me an estimate, explained it to DH, and then DH nixed that one. As Barney Fife always said, he “nipped that one in the bud” right away.




I’m not giving up, though. We have dinner tonight with friends, and breakfast with the guys Wednesday morning. Other than that, meh! (Although I never discount the ordinary days. I'm quite content. Beautiful sunsets most evenings, listening to the pouring rain and rolling thunder, and seeing some awesome lightning displays are all quite satisfying.)


And watching from afar my nephew's baby girl growing up!
  

Pecan Pie Bundt Cake

Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Pecan Pie Bundt Cake takes the flavors of the classic pie and packs them into a simple, delicious cake.
Ingredients:
For the cake:
1 cup finely chopped pecans
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup light or dark corn syrup
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 & 3/4 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the glaze:
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 tablespoons heavy cream
pinch of salt

Directions:
To make the cake:
Preheat oven to 325°F. Generously grease a 10-cup Bundt pan.
Sprinkle the pecans in the bottom of the pan.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Stir together the corn syrup and buttermilk. Set aside.
Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
Reduce mixer speed to low. Add the flour in three portions, alternating with two portions of the buttermilk mixture. Mix just until combined.
Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes. Then invert the cake onto a wire rack to continue cooling.
To make the glaze:
Place the brown sugar, butter, cream and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a couple of minutes until it has thickened slightly.
Drizzle the glaze over the warm cake. https://bakeorbreak.com/2016/10/pecan-pie-bundt-cake/

7 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

The photos of your great niece (doesn't that sound strange) are darling! And thank you for that recipe. When i rarely do make a cake, i especially like to make a bundt cake. So moist and this one sounds delicious.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

This recipe is causing some regrets about our not eating sweets. LOL! I am glad to hear that you enjoy the bad weather we've been having as much as I have. In fact, I was sitting on the back porch at 11PM the other night when a storm literally blew in. Our crepe myrtles were completely bent in half. Luckily no damage. It is very over cast this morning with a slight possibility of a shower and my outdoor plants are loving it. Loved those sweet pictures of your little doll.

Allstarme79 said...

As I age, I learn to appreciate ordinary days too. I used to think I didn't do enough or see enough people, etc but sometimes it's good to count all the little successes too.

Mevely317 said...

That bundt cake sounds amazing! (Yep, I've already saved the link … thank you!) Normally we don't keep sweets around, but this makes me wish Thanksgiving and Christmas were closer.

That baby girl is adorable!

Terri D said...

Thanks for that yummy cake recipe! And thanks for joining the Medley today. I'm afraid it is rather lame and appreciate all of you who joined in!! Love the kiddos!!

Chatty Crone said...

Your grands are always adorable and fun loving.
I use parchment paper too and I have made crafts with it.
Your Pecan Bundt cake I have made a copy and am planning to do it for the next girls meeting and then everyone is on a diet! I am still going to make it.
We had some rain and cool days too - now it is getting warmer.
So tell me about the Geek Squad - how does it work - do you pay every month - do they come out to you? I need help!
Sandie

Debby Ray said...

Oh my gosh...I think I just gained 5 pounds by reading that recipe! Boy, does that sound amazing! Special occasions are great but give me an ordinary day any time. Enjoy the rest of your week!