On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Saturday, June 22, 2019

Saturday9: Venus in Blue Jeans




Saturday 9: Venus in Blue Jeans (1962)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

I love, love this song!

1) Like the dream girl described in this song, Sam is wearing jeans as she composes this Saturday 9. Is there a lot of denim in your wardrobe? Let’s see now. Maybe 10-15 different pair of jeans, cropped, cut-offs, regular jeans, skinny jeans (and different sizes). 

2) Jimmy Clanton likens this girl to the Venus de Milo, the ancient Greek sculpture made of marble and now on display at the Louvre. Is there any marble in your home? Would a set of marbles count?

3) He refers to his girl as "Mona Lisa with a pony tail." The Mona Lisa is also at the Louvre. What's the last museum you visited? 

I do believe it was maybe Philbrook Art Museum in Tulsa, Oklahoma. 

The garden in back of Philbrook Art Museum.

When we were in Paris, I wanted so badly to visit the Louvre, but DH overstayed at whatever place he had chosen that day and by the time we made it to the Louvre, it was almost closing time and we had to race through. 😢

4) This girl is so awesome, she's the 8th Wonder of the World! Without looking it up, could you name the other 7? 

I thought the Taj Mahal, but I checked myself and I was wrong, (although it is on the NEW list). We did visit the Temple of Artemis when we were in Turkey and the Coliseum when we visited Rome. The others I just don’t remember. 

I took the top photo and the lower is a postcard.

My comment about this ugly little statue is that Artemis could win the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prize in the wet t-shirt contest. When the Apostle Paul was in Ephesus, a riot was started over declining sales of the silver shrines made by Demetrius the silversmith, due to Paul preaching the good news to the people. (If the people weren't loyal to Artemis, Demetrius and the others in the union would lose big money.)
Walking along the road in Ephesus

The coliseum

5) Jimmy Clanton spent his entire professional life behind a microphone. After he quit selling records, he began spinning them as a DJ. Do you consider the sound of your voice one of your better qualities? No, it always disappoints me when I hear my voice. 

6) At age 80, Mr. Clanton still performs. He averaged an appearance/month in 2018. Some of his fans were surprised that he has let his pompadour go completely white. Do you color your hair? Highlights, lowlights nowadays. 

7) In 1962, when this song was popular, Americans were reading about 5-year-old First Daughter, Caroline Kennedy, and her pony, Macaroni. Tell us about a pet you had when you were very young. There isn’t much to tell since I never really connected emotionally to any of the pets my dad brought home. That changed at age 22, and I have owned several beloved dogs since.

1954

8) Decades later, Caroline Kennedy was the first woman to serve as US Ambassador to Japan. Have you ever been to Asia? Yes.

9) Random question: When talking among themselves, who do you think is more open and honest about sex -- men or women?  I have no idea.

Hmmm, seems my answers are pretty yawn worthy here today! 

11 comments:

勝美 said...

Asia isn't a place you'd really want to visit?

But you've already been there! The Temple Of Artemis. Turkey is in Asia.

Nonnie said...

Thank you for setting me straight. When I typed that answer yesterday, I was thinking of Paul calling it Asia, but somehow today I only think about Asia as the very Far East … China, Korea, Japan!

CountryDew said...

I visited Paris when I was 15. I would love to go back as an adult when I can actually appreciate it. When you're a teenager you just don't get it, although I do recall being fascinated in the Louvre by a painting that was done so that it looked like light shone through/off of this woman's hand. I stood there a long time trying to figure out how the artist achieved that.

Jodi said...

I would love to visit the Colosseum one day! Have a great Saturday!

The Gal Herself said...

Love your marble answer! I know it's the rage in decorating right now, especially kitchens, but my place is small and marble would look silly in here.

Mevely317 said...

Yawn-worthy? Ohhhh no, ma'am!
First, I'm loving that old photo Christmas card … my parents used to do the same thing!

I didn't even think about Turkey being a part of Asia! We visited Ephesus as part of a Greek cruise in the 80's. (The same boat that later caught fire and sunk!) Like you, I've no desire to visit the Far East.
Have a great weekend!

Schotzy said...

Wow, you all are quite the travellers! How wonderful!! And might I chime in as well, hardly yawn-worthy, your answers were charming and exciting to say the least! Loe the photos! Have a marvelous weekend!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

I'm joining the chorus on your "yawn-worthy" comments. Hardly! I always look forward to reading your blogs and love your humor. Not to mention your sweet spirit that is always so evident. Loved the comment about Ms. Artemis. Yep, she's a winner for sure! You and your DH make such a lovely couple. I love seeing the old pictures when life was a bit different. Still grinning about the marble comment. I don't even have that! LOL!!

Lori said...

I love the pictures of your travels! That is awesome. I have not been anywhere like that. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Stacy said...

Oh, wow! The places you have been! So cool that you've visited Ephesus. I've learned a lot about it as my bible study group studies Revelation. I would love to see all of the places the churches Paul wrote to were in.

Chatty Crone said...

I remember that song very well. Nothing like the songs of today is it?
OH my goodness - we saw all that in 1996 - wasn't it a miracle to see all that history over there? I wish I could go again.