On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Saturday, May 25, 2019

Saturday 9: Memorial Day and God Bless America






Unfamiliar with Deanna Durbin's rendition of week's tune? Hear it here.


Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle. 

1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. Originally called Decoration Day, this is when memorials, as well as the graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers on this day to show our appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood? Yes

2) Andrew Johnson, our 17th President, was in office the first time Memorial/Decoration Day  was celebrated. Have you ever met one of our 45 Presidents? No. But our son met and got to shake George  W. Bush’s hand right after 911. 



3) According to the AAA, more than 30 million Americans will hit the road this weekend and drive more than 50 miles. Will you be traveling far from home this weekend? Just about 50 miles to see grandson play soccer. 

4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food? Potato salad, fried chicken, baked beans and chocolate cake.

5) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on? Oh yes! This is Texas and ac has been running off and on since Christmas!!! 

6) Though she's belting out one of America's best loved patriotic songs, Deanna Durbin was born in Canada. Is there anyone in your family or circle of friends who wasn't born in the USA? My sister-in-Law was born in Germany and my great niece was born in South Korea. 

7) No longer a household name, Ms. Durbin was once one of the biggest stars in the country. One of her most popular films was 1937's One Hundred Men and a Girl, which was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. Recommend a movie that you really like, but don't think many Saturday 9ers have seen. Hobson’s Choice I discovered on Turner Classic movie channel. It is a very touching old black and white with John Mills. 

8) Back in 1938, Deanna Durbin had her handprints cemented in front of the TCL Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd. Have you ever visited that Los Angeles tourist attraction? No, and I have no desire to ever visit that part of California. 

9) Random question: What food did you hate as a child, but enjoy now? Potato salad, now one of my very favorites to make and eat!  


Hope everyone enjoys a safe holiday weekend as we remember those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom.

13 comments:

Jodi said...

How cool that your son got to shake GWB's hand! Have a great Saturday and weekend!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

I'm wondering if that is an actual picture of your handsome son shaking the President's hand. That must have been very exciting for him regardless. My sister reminded me that I left out cans of Vienna Sausage on our family picnics. I think it was a mental block. I do hope you and your DH have a very enjoyable hot Memorial Day with your family. I think we are going to get a big serving of crawfish and the fixings and call it a good day at home.

The Gal Herself said...

I imagine it was especially important, and reassuring, to meet President Bush after 9/11.

It's funny you mention Hobson's Choice. It's one of those classics that I hear terrific things about, but I never seem to find it on TCM. But I will!

Lori said...

I absolutely love GWB! That is so cool your son got to meet him and after 9/11. What a scary time and GWB did such a great job making me feel better. He will always hold a special place in my heart.
Your picnic favorites sound fantastic! Loved your answers! Have a nice Memorial Day weekend!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Toni said...

Enjoyed reading your answers. I think it's great that your son got to meet GWB. Have a blessed weekend.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Wonderful answers...Now I'm hungry for a picnic...we aren't planning anything special like that, but now that I think about it, we are having some friends coming through from GA. on Monday, headed to a conference in Orlando, and they will be here for supper and spend the night...so maybe a picnic type supper is what I need to do...Today we are cleaning, mowing, etc., etc. Hope you have a great time with family and that your grandson wins the soccer game. So thankful for our freedom to do these things, and for the ones who sacrificed their all so that we can be free. We are so blessed as a nation. I pray we don't lose these special freedoms.

Terri D said...

I enjoyed your Sat9 responses today! Hope your grandson's team wins the soccer game! We are serving potato salad on Sunday and I'm sure there will be some on Monday at the pot-luck! Have a great holiday weekend!

CountryDew said...

Is your son an emergency services worker? I applaud all who serve the country like that. It's a thankless job.

Chatty Crone said...

I applaud your son too! God Bless America for sure. I love potato salad - fried chicken - and chocolate cake too. And our a/c has been on since March - it is near 100 degrees here - we are having record heat! Sandie♥

zippiknits...sometimes said...

I live in California and also have ZERO desire to visit Los Angeles. ;o)

Annie said...

Air conditioning is the only thing I dislike about hot weather. I hate when its so hot out that you can't open the windows.
Your ideal picnic sounds so delicious Yum.

Joyful said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joyful said...

I'm not American but I do love the patriotism of Americans and many of your patriotic songs including "God Bless America". I learned something from your post today because I didn't know that Deanna Durbin was born in Canada. I remember watching her over the years in B & W movies on television and I enjoyed the movies. It's always special when one gets a chance to meet and shake hands with the leader of one's nation. I'm sure your son and your family in general were very excited that day. I hope you had a wonderful and blessed Memorial Day. God bless America, Nonnie.