Linking up this holiday weekend with Saturday 9: God Bless America
Unfamiliar with Deanna Durbin's rendition of week's tune? Hear it here.
Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle.
1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. Originally called Decoration Day, this is when memorials, as well as the graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers on this day to show our appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood? Yes.
2) Andrew Johnson, our 17th President, was in office the first time Memorial/Decoration Day was celebrated. Have you ever met one of our 45 Presidents? No. But our son met and got to shake George W. Bush’s hand right after 911.
3) According to the AAA, more than 30 million Americans will hit the road this weekend and drive more than 50 miles. Will you be traveling far from home this weekend? Just about 50 miles to see grandson play soccer.
4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food? Potato salad, fried chicken, baked beans and chocolate cake.
5) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on? Oh yes! This is Texas and ac has been running off and on since Christmas!!!
6) Though she's belting out one of America's best loved patriotic songs, Deanna Durbin was born in Canada. Is there anyone in your family or circle of friends who wasn't born in the USA? My sister-in-Law was born in Germany and my great niece was born in South Korea.
7) No longer a household name, Ms. Durbin was once one of the biggest stars in the country. One of her most popular films was 1937's One Hundred Men and a Girl, which was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. Recommend a movie that you really like, but don't think many Saturday 9ers have seen. Hobson’s Choice I discovered on Turner Classic movie channel. It is a very touching old black and white with John Mills.
8) Back in 1938, Deanna Durbin had her handprints cemented in front of the TCL Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd. Have you ever visited that Los Angeles tourist attraction? No, and I have no desire to ever visit that part of California.
9) Random question: What food did you hate as a child, but enjoy now? Potato salad, now one of my very favorites to make and eat!
Hope everyone enjoys a safe holiday weekend as we remember those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom.