On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

My Heavenly Hodgepodge


1. February can be a little bit tricky given the weather and the winter and the whatnot. I read a list (here) of things you can do to make your February brighter which included-start planning your next trip, take more baths, make your own chocolate covered strawberries, and exercise in preparation for swimsuit season. Anything on the list you might try? Which suggestion on the list appeals to you most?

Probably to start planning our next trip, although when I think about it, I get a little stressed out just trying to figure out what will work and end up doing nothing.

Tell us something not on the list that helps make your February brighter.

I would love it if we could have just one good snow!

Our big whiteout of 2010


2. Tell us about something you've seen or done recently that you'd say was 'super'?

I thought The Greatest Showman was a super good movie and I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

3. Best thing you ate in a 'bowl' last week?

Chicken and wild rice soup. It was not that great, but since it was the only thing I had in a bowl it must be the best!

4. Something you're 'cheering' for right now?

I'm thinking, I'm thinking.

5. The Winter Olympics begin Friday, February 9th in Pyeong Chang, South Korea. On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being all in and 1 being no interest whatsoever) how interested are you in the games?

Maybe 4.

Which event do you most want to see (you'll find a list here).

I always enjoy figure skating and couple skating. They are so graceful and beautiful to watch.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

I saw a story in today's news that caught my eye. It was about a woman who won the lottery for, I think, a half billion dollars. However, in order to receive the money, she has to allow her name to be made public and therein lies the hitch. She wants to remain anonymous. Having never bought a lottery ticket, I did not know this rule. The law says she must comply or she cannot receive the money. I've read many stories about what winning so much money can do to people or what bad things have happened to the winners resulting from people asking for donations, to stealing from or swindling them and even being murdered.

What an interesting dilemma and frightening to think about.

Much better things to think on and not so random:

In our Tuesday morning Bible study, we are going through Randy Alcorn' s book, Heaven. So many questions everyone has about what it will be like. His book is filled with so much good information and all the possibilities Heaven holds. Fascinating. But still, mysteries remain.

"Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror,
but then we will see everything with perfect clarity.
All that I know now is partial and incomplete,
but then I will know everything completely,
just as God now knows me completely.
Three things will last forever--faith, hope, and love--
and the greatest of these is love."
(1 Corinthians 13:12-13 (NLT)

"Dear friends, we are already God's children,
but he has not yet shown us what we will be like when Christ appears.
But we do know that we will be like him, for we will see him as he really is."
(1 John 3:2 (NLT)


The picture above is from the Precious Moments Chapel in Carthage, Missouri. I never collected Precious Moments figurines, but my sister wanted me to visit the chapel with her. I so enjoyed it and especially loved this mural. Here is a link to read the stories behind this painting which is a huge mural there in the chapel. I bought the framed print and it's just a happy, happy thing to have hanging on the wall.

16 comments:

Joyce said...

I didn’t know that about the lottery either. Hmmm... Course I’ve only bought one of two tickets in my life so unlikely I need to worry about it : ) Its pouring rain here today. Snow would definitely feel more wintry. Happy Wednesday!

Preppy Empty Nester said...

I loved The Greatest Showman, as well. Have a great week.

A Joyful Chaos said...

I don't think I'd want my name out there either if I'd win the lottery. Not that I have to worry about it ever happening. :)

Karen said...

Like you, I like to watch the couples ice skating. I love the Bible verse you shared. We will be like Jesus, for we shall see Him as He really is.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

I also enjoyed The Greatest Showman and loved the music. I feel your frustration about planning things that must involve so many aspects of care giving. I do hope you can have a fun and stressless trip in the near future. Winning the lottery is in the realm of possibilities for us, but that is an interesting bit of info I had not heard about either. Instead of snow we got tons of rain last night and thunder like I've never heard in February. Oh to be like Jesus! What a day that will be.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

CORRECTION: Winning the lottery is NOT in the realm......

NanaDiana said...

Wonderful answers, Connie. I am with you- skating is what I like about the Olympics-and I can tolerate the skiing.

I never collected Precious Moments either but have a friend that has a HUGE collection.

I have yet to see The Greatest Showman but it is on my list. My grandgirls loved it. xo Diana

maddie/cadesmimi said...

I didn't realize that you had to make your name public to collect lottery winnings, either. Interesting dilemma!
I don't collect them, but I love Precious Moments figurines.
Kathy (Reflections)

Cathy said...

It's so fun to try to imagine what heaven will be like. And now that mom and dad and my brother are there, I'm looking even more forward to going there.

Susie said...

Nonnie, I love the precious Moments chapel. Our granddaughter Emma got 12 for her birthdays from her Grandma Irene. Ted made her a case to keep them in. They will be a keepsake for her. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Your soup sounds yummy. That is a sweet photo from Precious Moments. I have two pieces. That is a pretty tough choice on having to give out your information.

Cranberry Morning said...

I loved Randy Alcorn's book and followed it up with N.T. Wright's 'Surprised by Hope' also dispelling some much of the wrong information we were/are given regarding eschatology. Both books are great reading. I'd like to see The Greatest Showman again too, but if I do go to a movie in the near future, it will probably be The Post (although that one will most likely be as good on the TV screen.) Enjoy the rest of your week!

Annie said...

I enjoyed your answers and agree that the giving out your name in order to win is troubling. Very scary.
The soup sounds so delicious!

Terri D said...

I have never collected Precious Moments either, but that mural is beautiful! We have friends who won $22 million in the Florida Lottery. Yes, you do have to have your name published in the paper. They waited until they could "disappear" before claiming the money. They did it well and are settled in a gated community now and have not been bothered by crazies. If you win big, let me know and I'll tell you how they did it right!!

Dianna said...

Your Tuesday morning Bible study sounds really good, Connie.

Chatty Crone said...

You actually want one good snow?
I have tried to see that movie a couple of times now - I want to see it too - I hear it was great. So where do you want to travel - I think I'd like to go to the beach! sandie