On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 197

Another week has sped by and it's time again for Wednesday Hodgepodge saluting veterans today. I gladly salute them!! Answer the questions on your blog, then head over to visit Joyce and link up to share with everybody else.


1. We celebrate Veteran's Day in the US of A on November 11th. When did you last interact with a member of the armed forces (either currently serving or retired)? Have you ever written a letter to a soldier, bought a meal or coffee for a solider, said an unprompted thank you to a soldier you encountered out and about somewhere? If you're not in the US, comment on a similar holiday in your own country.

Today, via the magic of Facebook message. Praying always for both my nephews who serve in the Army.


I will never forget the emotions I felt the couple of times I watched with my brother and sister-in-law as their sons walked toward the planes that would take them  away. I make it a point to thank service people when I'm out and about. Especially at an airport. It makes me sad to think of them leaving their loved ones behind, the danger they face and the loneliness and maybe fear they may be feeling. 


2. You can have fifty pounds of anything at all (except money)...what would you choose?

I never really thought about fifty pounds of anything, but 50 pounds of nice perfect diamonds might be a good little nest egg.

3. When did you last receive an invitation in the 'real' mail? What was it for and did you attend? When it comes to RSVP-ing, are you an 'early responder' or a 'last minute, barely-under-the-wire' kind of guest?

I'm guessing it was for my nephew's wedding earlier this year and we did attend. Everything else seems to be E-vite. I do RSVP and if I know there is no question as to our attendance, I immediately respond, otherwise, I put it aside and send just before the deadline.

4. What's something you really don't like to waste?

Why must I choose one thing? Time. It would be time.**

But I will go with water. Water is precious and something we can't survive without. Our local water supplies are low due to the drought and I can see the lake every day. From my view upstairs, I know where the lake level should be when normal. It is about 9 feet down, so when I'm using water, in the kitchen especially, I can see outside and am very conscious about not wasting it.

Photo credit
5. Cheers, Friends, MASH, Seinfeld...of the ones listed, your favorite long-running sitcom?

Of these choices, Seinfeld. I originally greatly disliked, couldn't stand, hated the show, and would ignore it when my husband watched it. Of course I could overhear what was going on most of the time and came to be fascinated with the self-centeredness of the characters:  the goofiness of Kramer, George's insecurities, his anger and being such a cheapskate, Elaine's dancing and Seinfeld never finding the perfect match. I preferred it when the show stuck with those kind of comedy situations. 

6. What decision are you glad you made?

The "best ever" decision I made was to accept Jesus Christ as Savior. The second was "staying put" as opposed to moving back to my home town after my first husband passed away. Staying put led to my being "in place" to meet the sweet guy I've been married to now for 27 years.

7. In this month of 'Thanksgiving' what is one thing that's different today than it was a year ago that you're grateful for?

I have about a 6 inch scar down my stomach from an emergency surgery this past summer. I am so very grateful this Thanksgiving for my good health now and the decision we made to stay home the weekend of "my emergency!"

8. Insert your own random thought here

My real favorite sitcom was the Andy Griffith Show. Guess I've dated myself, but I still enjoy watching Barney make a fool out of himself every time and Andy being such a nice guy and so street wise for a small town sheriff. Mayberry seemed like a very pleasant place to live. Aunt Bea reminded me of my Granny in some ways. After the first few years of the show, as Opie grew older and Barney left, it really became a little too corny.

Photo credit

**Is blogging a waste of time?

13 comments:

Joyce said...

Andy is our all time favorite too. Funny how absolutely timeless the show is. So glad you are enjoying good health this year!

April said...

Who could beat "Andy Griffith"? We watched it all the time when my dad came home from work. Just a 'feel good' show.

Anonymous said...

"Water" is a good choice for what not to waste. We haven't had rain in a while, so I'm starting to think about that again, too.
We've watched our share of 'Andy Griffith', in years gone by. I guess I've dated myself, too :)
One could argue that blogging is a waste of time, but I enjoy it, so I don't consider it a waste of my time. Besides, after I'm dead and gone, my family will still have my thoughts on certain things, as well as my memoirs :)

Linda Kay said...

Great comments on the Hodge Podge thoughts. Bless your nephews who are in service. I also cringe at the waste of water. We hear folks complaining about water restrictions...so narrow minded. We are looking for catchment systems to install for rain water.
Blogging is not a waste of time for me, as I really enjoy seeing other peoples' thoughts, pictures, jokes, etc. And I think it stimulates my mind.

NanaDiana said...

Loved all your answers, Connie. It is always so much fun to get to know a person a little bit better. I ignored Seinfeld in the beginning, too...never watched it but once it went to late night TV I started watching and was hooked. lol

I met Andy Griffith many years ago and could tell you a whole lot of stories about him. lol

Glad you are healthy this year- xo Diana

retired not tired said...

Love the "Andy Griffith" show. Have been to Mount Airy which is the town Mayberry was based on. Have also been standing beside Ron Howard when he directed a film in Toronto.

Rick Watson said...

I tell every veteran I encounter thank you. I often know by the hats they wear - Vietnam, Korea, Airborne, etc.
I just did a feature story on a piano at Walker College which is signed by WWII soldiers headed off to war. It was a fascinating story. American Legion Magazine is considering it for publication. I hope it does these veterans justice.
Rick

Wanda said...

Love all your answers. I would take 50 lbs of hulded walnuts. Love to bake with them, and always run out.

Terri D said...

I loved Andy, too!! I still love the reruns. This is another great Hodgepodge, and I enjoyed reading your answers!

Chatty Crone said...

Thank you to your nephews - my hubs served in the army too. My favorite sitcom was Everyone Loves Raymond which i did not watch until it went into reruns!

yaya said...

First, thanks to your nephews for serving our country! I love all your answers....I've never watched Seinfeld but M.A.S.H would have to be a fav of mine..duh! (I work in surgery!) But I also loved the Andy Griffith show..still do in reruns! I worry that sometimes blogging takes up a good portion of my evenings..then I have to really time myself on the computer! I have enjoyed meeting so many fun and inspiring individuals but I also wonder if my blog is really something people want to read and have considered shutting it down. I try to make it a journal tool. I have the blog printed out at the end of each year. My family thinks it's pretty fun to go over the books so I guess I'll hang in there for a bit! Have a great rest of this week!

Lux G. said...

Time is our great equalizer. I also believe it's one of man's most valuable possession. And blogging is never a waste of time. ;)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I will keep your nephews in my prayers. Good though on those diamonds! I know I said water because we can't live without it. Great answer on the best decision you ever made!!!! I did enjoy the Andy Griffith......