On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Monday, November 17, 2014

Monday Memories - Most Influential Person(s)

I am joining Retired not Tired today in sharing our memories of the most influential person in our life. You can join in the nostalgia with us and link in here.

I have pondered this over the last week thinking of all the wonderful people who have had great influence in my life. There have been so many along the way over all these years, and each deserves credit for helping to mold me. However, in the end, it has to be the most influential persons, that being my parents. I have written about them before and wish they were still with me to tell them thank you again and again for everything they did for me and the things they instilled in me JUST. BY. THEIR. LIVING. And a few paragraphs only skim a few things of their influence.

Time and again, over the years, they proved unconditional love, faithfulness, integrity, loyalty, and acceptance in who we were. They had high standards, and we were expected to do our best, but whatever that "best" was, they accepted and encouraged us. My parents did not complain about their circumstances - ever! Any disagreements they had were never shared in front of us. They taught us to respect - no disrespect was tolerated for the other parent. They taught us respect for each other, for siblings, and for authority.

From my parents, I learned to be a good steward of what I had and how to work. In our home, we were not overburdened with chores, however, we helped and did what was assigned for the good of the family - not for reward. There was lots of time for play and they allowed us to be children. In our teen years, we did not appreciate the "protection" by our parents, but over the years, I have come to see where their idea of over-protection may not have been perfect, but the boundaries were always clear and consequences for crossing those boundaries.

Our parents included us in every activity. Maybe it was just the times we lived in, but the only time we had a sitter was the two times my Mom was in the hospital. Everything else when we were kids was family participation.

The influence of their example has helped me face the times in my life which were not easy. My faith and trust are strong because they trained me up in the way I should go. After raising me and teaching me, they allowed me to take responsibility for my life decisions without interference.

I thank God always for the parents and family He blessed me with.

In front of their house


Camping at Lake Ouachita, Arkansas 1982

10 comments:

Susie said...

Nonnie, You are blessed with your good memories of growing up. I know my parents loved me, but God loved me more....he sent an earthly angel to guide me when I was 10 years old. This lady took me to church, taught me many wonderful things, such as manners and how to be grateful. She was like the grandmother I never had. I loved her so much and miss still today. I know she is in heaven watching over me still . Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your parents! How blessed you were to have had them.

retired not tired said...

Our parents aren't always perfect but they certainly instilled the values we have today. I wish more parents did that.

Terri D said...

I love seeing photos of your folks, and the house you lived in. It sounds like they did their best to build a strong foundation for you to continue to build your life on, one year at a time. You are right that times were different then, for most of us. What a blessing!! Thanks for sharing!!

Chatty Crone said...

It was a wonderful tribute to your parents - and you know not everyone was so lucky or blessed as you - another blessing.

Linda Kay said...

I'm sure there is no such thing as a perfect parent, but you have definitely been blessed. As we get old with children and grandchildren of our own, we can appreciate our parents even more. Thanks for sharing.

yaya said...

What a nice tribute and so many wonderful memories. It was a different time wasn't it? I think I was always afraid of disappointing my folks and that kept me out of trouble more than anything else! I don't think anyone really appreciates their parents until they are parents themselves. This was a lovely post!

Romi said...

You are blessed with great parents. Thank you for sharing your wonderful story.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

How awesome to have so many wonderful blessing given to you from your parents.

Karen said...

What precious parents! I am so thankful for my parents' love also!