On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge

Okay, here we go. Here are my answers to this week's Indulging in the Hodgepodge from Joyce at From This Side of the Pond
You can answer the questions on your own blog then link with Joyce and the others to read everybody else's answers. 
Thank you, Joyce.
 
 
1. Picture postcards were first printed back in the mid-1800's and deltiology is the official name for postcard collecting. When did you last send a postcard?  Receive one? Do you save postcards sent to you? Do you collect and/or send postcards when you travel?

I always have to fill out a postcard at the doctor's office so they can then mail the card to me. So kind of sort of, I mail postcards to myself here in my own town.
If I strain my brain, I think maybe I mailed postcards from Greece a few years ago. Back in the old days, (when I was more faithful about keeping photo albums), in addition to taking my own pics, I would buy postcards of the sights we visited. My little camera really couldn’t do justice to many of the things we saw and so I put postcards in my album alongside my own photos, so I could remember all that we saw and did.

2. What treat do you most like to indulge in while on vacation?

I wonder if it might be trying new foods, desserts without guilt, and shopping. It’s always fun to come away with a useful and lasting souvenir, such as earrings or an article of clothing which I will usually wear until it turns to rags.

3. Are you good at hiding your feelings?

Joy, happiness, excitement and relief I can’t hide.
Other feelings? It depends on the situation and the people involved. I can hide my disappointment or anger and hurt, but sooner or later, my facial expression or quietness will give others a clue that something isn’t quite right. It happened just this past week-end that I found myself in a situation like that, but I did manage to hide my feelings.
4. Does your town/city/county still deliver telephone books to your home?

Yes, and they instantly go to recycle. I have no need for them.

Do you check the yellow pages when searching for a local business number or has the Internet replaced the phone book in your home?

The Internet has replaced the phone book when searching for restaurants, shops, that kind of thing. When I need a local business such as a plumber or carpet cleaning service, I refer to a local research book to find the companies with higher ratings.

5. Would you rather be first or last?

When answering questions in a group setting or ordering in a restaurant, I want to be last so I can have time to give a little thought to my answer. Also, if I hear someone else’s answer, it will usually jog my memory. If it is something that might be painful, I would just as soon be first and get it over with.

6. July is National Park and Recreation Month (in America, but everyone can still play along)...where and when were you last in a park?  Did you participate in any recreational activities while you were there?

The last national park we visited was the Smoky Mountain National Park. We rode the train through the park, but I don’t think riding a train counts. We didn’t hike and I don’t remember there being any other recreational activities offered.

7.  What was one of your worst ideas?

Hmmmmm. I usually think my ideas through because my husband will take off and go with them, so I have to be careful about voicing ideas.
When we moved into our current house, there were two ugly mesquite trees in the far back yard. My idea was to have that portion of the back yard landscaped with native plants. Good idea. But, I trusted the landscaper totally on what to plant. Bad idea. My plan was to surround the native mesquite trees with plants so DH wouldn’t be harmed by the mesquite thorns when working in the yard. But geez, on both ends of the area, the landscaper planted yuccas which had killer needles on them so that you couldn’t work around them without being seriously stabbed. We also didn’t give a thought to the fact that future grandchildren would be playing in the back yard. After they came along, it was a must that DH and son had to remove the yuccas and the mesquite trees.

 


You can see the yuccas on the left and behind the mesquite tree. Those things were HUGE by the time we removed them and I am so glad they are gone.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Very thankful the past few days for the changes in the weather. To have temperatures in the 60’s and 70’s in Texas in July AND rain is such a blessing. Rain during a drought is a treasure. I know that to others, rain can be a scourge and seem never-ending.
But ... looks like the heat will be back today and chances of rain are gone. It was great while it lasted, and I enjoyed all of it.

 
Not having ever watched the TV show GLEE, I had never heard of Cory Monteith (I know, I know ... my brother says "what planet are you living on?") until his death this week. What a tragic end to what sounds like a very talented person at such a young age. Here is a statement from a news story.
"Despite his demons with drugs and alcohol, multiple sources have said Monteith was as happy as can be with life, personally and professionally."
And a close friend said, “____ was just a great guy,” added a close friend. “He touched so many lives.”
I know nothing about this person except what the media reports about him and what his friends say. What I am thinking about is how very sad it is that a person can seemingly have everything this world can offer in the way of fame, talent, money, and relationships. But what does it profit a man if he has the whole world and loses his own soul? When I read stories about these kind of tragedies, I usually skim over the story to see whether any mention is made of that person's faith. I want to know if he knew the One who could save him. I want to see a testimony of what he believed. It is always my hope that somehow they did know.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 

 
 
 
 

 

16 comments:

Joyce said...

You can bike and horseback ride in the Smoky Mountains, and that's fun. We love the Smokies-one of our favorite places in all the world!

kc bob said...

I liked tour answer to #5.

Theresa said...

I think riding the train is a great way to see a park. Your yard looks beautiful and I am glad you could get rid of the prickly ones.

Shelly said...

We are a little cooler today, too, and enjoying RAIN!!! Oh, I hear you about those yuccas- they are awful. That wasn't very smart of the landscaper to plant them- not smart at all!

My Mind's Eye said...

Hey Hey Hey good to hear from you! How is Trudie doing?
I bet it is how down your way 'cause it is hot in NC
Hugs madi and Mom and we are so glad to read you printed your blog...you are right it is kind of like a diary.

Anonymous said...

Fun to read the questions/answers. I hope you have a nice evening. Thunderstorms here tonight.

NanaDiana said...

Those are really great answers, Connie. I am so sorry about that young man,too. I don't watch Glee either so don't know him from that show-but it is sad-just sad. xo Diana

Geneva said...

This is a great Q&A Nonnie ... I could identify with most of your answers (especially # 5) and enjoyed getting to know you a little better. Your thoughts about the young man on Glee were very poignant...I didn't know him either, but had very similar thoughts.
Blessings!
Geneva

Hootin Anni said...

Mesquite trees are pretty tho...I love the lacy fern-like leaf clusters. But, I hear ya' on the yucca. We lived in Tucson for a decade before relocated to Texas and our yard was nothing but thorns...thorns on this, thorns on that.

Thanks for stopping by this afternoon. Your visit and taking time to comment meant a lot to me.

Beansieleigh said...

So sad about Cory, and the choices a LOT of our youths are making it seems... You do wonder, "Gee, wasn't there SOMEthing good or solid in this person's life?.... or wasn't there SOMEone supportive, just there for him/her at ALL?"... The trouble is, it seems that Cory DID have these things... As for his faith, I don't know.. Just so sad. ~tina

Mevely317 said...

Thanks for stopping by ... it's great to meet-cha! I'm struck by so many similarities in this week's Hodgepodge. Kinda makes one think we'd have a great time together at a virtual BBQ, doesn't it?

Having lived in West Texas for many years, I miss the mesquite - but sure admire that photo of your yard. It looks like something out of a magazine article!

Chatty Crone said...

Glad to see you joining! Hey I agree with you on the vacation! I give myself some extra privileges. And I don't use the phone books either! And nice summer weather in Texas! sandie

Anonymous said...

I love to read what folks will say! :) Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Karen said...

Nice getting to know your thoughts. I love the Smoky Mountains. Hope to go back soon.

Rick Watson said...

We had yucca plants at one time but I after a few years, I decided to take the tractor and dig them up. Those leaves are brutal when you get too close.

yaya said...

I learned a few things about you, and your planting area sure looked lovely, but I agree about taking out plants that kill! Ha! I only watched GLEE a few times but feel really bad about that young man ending his life when he had so much to offer the world. I feel bad for his family.