On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Old Fashioned Hodgepodge



1. How would you define 'old'?

At this stage of life, I’m going to say it’s a state of mind. When I was young I thought being a teenager was old. When I was a teenager, I thought 30 was old. When I was 30, I thought 50 was far off, and 70 was very old. I’m past all that now, and I don’t feel old in spirit, but my body sometimes feels that way.

At what age is someone old? 

Maybe in the mind of our society, anybody over 75 might be considered old. Right now I think anybody in their 90s is old, however, I know some people in their 90s who are still quite spry. I’m just not sure about this question. It's how they view life and what they feel in their mind. I know some younger people who act quite old.

2. A place you've been that's old? Israel. Tell us something about your visit there.

We visited Israel twice. It was a most meaningful trip that I wish all followers of Jesus could make. We visited other ancient places, but seeing those places where Jesus lived and walked all the days He was here on this earth was an amazing experience for me and my husband. Sailing on the sea of Galilee, imagining Jesus there on the boat, or walking on the shore talking with Peter and the other disciples were moments I will never forget.  Being baptized in the same river where Jesus was baptized. Walking around Jerusalem and seeing the temple remains, and the garden where it was believed Jesus was buried and the tomb he came out of were all awesome experiences.

On Mt. Arbel
(thought to possibly be the place where the crowd wanted to push Jesus over a cliff, 
but He slipped out of their hands.)


3. Something you miss about the 'good old days'?

I miss the innocence of youth in the 50s. That was for me. I think most of the times, no matter the time period, there is the innocence of youth and not realizing of the things going on around us in the world because we’re sheltered from them. Our memories are filtered, I think.

When were they anyway? For the most part, in our own past. However, when my husband and I were first married, I thought every day was the good old days. I was sad to see each day end as I was so happy.

4. In what way are you a 'chip off the old block'? Probably the way I think about money. I think I’m pretty careful with it. Or if you'd rather, in what way is your child a 'chip off the old block'?

5. Old fashioned, Old Testament, old timer, same old same old, old glory, good old boy, old wives tale...choose an 'old' phrase that relates to something in your life or the wider world currently and explain.

I’ll go with Old Testament, since that’s where I am in the Bible right now. Several chapters into Isaiah, one of my favorite books. Tonight we begin the study of Matthew in Bible Study Fellowship.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

My random thoughts here usually have to do with recording some bit of how I’ve spent the past few days. My friends and I went to a car show in a small town near here last Saturday and it was fun.


No!! This black one isn't from my high school days!!

My dream car!
Loudspeakers were blasting out music from our high school days as we walked around looking at vintage cars from the 50’s and 60’s. I guess as we walked around and listened, we were remembering “our” good old days from high school with the cars and the music. These old friends and I used to cruise up and down one of the main streets here in Tulsa every Friday night in the car of the oldest of us. The Camaro pictured below we cruised in after I bought my first new car.



But I have to be honest and say, not all of those days were truly good always. Being a teenager is hard sometimes, especially if you are awkward, introverted, or in anyway thought of as an outsider. But still, good memories.


11 comments:

Cathy Kennedy said...

Nonnie,

It was nice reading through your hodgepodge answers. I remember a day when I wanted to visit the Holy Lands. It would a very spiritual and uplifting to walk literally in the footsteps of Jesus. Unfortunately, these days I'm too much of a scaredy Cathy to do any type of travel by air or sea but it's probably just as well with so much bad stuff happening. One day, I'll have the chance to walk literally beside Jesus which will be amazing! Have a wonderfully Wild Wednesday!

Preppy Empty Nester said...

I'd love to visit Israel. Loved your pic on Mt. Arbel! Enjoy your week!

Cathy said...

I enjoyed your answers and your photos.

Joyce said...

Our Sunday School class has been working through the book of Acts for the past couple of months, but my Bible Study group is finishing our study on The Ten Commandments, so I'm getting a bit of both. A group from our church is going to the Holy Land next year and I'd love to join them. I don't think it's going to work for us, but it's definitely on my list of places to visit. Have a great day!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

We have also been to the Holy Land twice and yes, it is such an amazing place for a Christian. Joel Rosenberg spoke at our church this past Sunday and it was so interesting to hear him speak of his life in Jerusalem. Just so you know, society would indeed find me old; however, they are wrong. Have a good rest of the week. I didn't make the Hodgepodge this week. Just too many things going on right now, but hopefully I will be back next week.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

How wonderful that you were able to visit the Holy Land not just once but twice! How amazing is that?! And did you say you were baptized in the place where Jesus was baptized? That would be such a moving experience. Wow. What a blessing for you and your dear heart. Oh, you were a Camaro fan? My son Scott has always had Camaros. He keeps getting them and tinkering with them (old classics) and just loves them. I kid him that is is house and family, since he doesn't have either of those and can't afford to because of all the money he puts into fixing up his old cars! LOL. But it keeps him out of trouble, so I'm not complaining! LOL. I enjoyed your post so much. And old is just a state of mind if you ask me.

Kiki Nakita said...

What a memorable vacation. Definitely on my list of places to visit someday.

songbird's crazy world said...

I loved hearing your perspective on Israel. I haven't been, but I want to go eventually. I have a friend who lives in Jerusalem, she keeps asking me to come.

Terri D said...

We answered #3 about the same. Yes. Israel would be a wonderful trip but I would be very afraid to make that trip now. My friend Cindee said the same things you mentioned. It must be awe-inspiring. I love classic cars and would have enjoyed strolling through that festival with you! Love & hugs!

Kirstin said...

I enjoyed your answers. THat car show looks great.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I know I said 90 for that first question because I have had several family members live until 90 and then beyond like my father. That sounds like it was a very blessed trip you went on. Definitely the innocence of youth! The car show looks like it was fun. Take care.