On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Saturday, September 18, 2021

A Heartfelt Saturday9



Saturday 9: I Left My Heart in San Francisco (1962)


1) This song is a valentine to the city of San Francisco. Songwriters George Cory and Douglas Cross moved to New York to find fame and fortune and found themselves homesick for the city by the bay. Have you ever been homesick? Or, in the parlance of the song, where have you left your heart?

Part of my heart I left in Texas with the kids. I miss them and wish I could be in two places at once!

2) Cory and Cross were buddies with Ralph Sharon, a piano player who often worked with Tony Bennett. Ralph brought the song to Tony and the results were very happy for all involved. Have you more recently done, or been on the receiving end of, a favor?

Sometimes it feels like I stay on the receiving end of favors. Being still fairly new around here, I’m asking for advice and my brother and sister-in-law are always doing things for me. And, my sister brought me lunch the other day.

3) The lyrics compare San Francisco to Paris, Rome and Manhattan. Have you visited those cities? 

Funny, I’ve never visited San Francisco, but I’ve visited Paris, Rome and Manhattan. So I can’t make a comparison.

Traveling on the Orient Express--Venice to Rome

4) This week's artist, Tony Bennett, sang professionally for the last time in August. He retired after performing at Radio City Music Hall with Lady Gaga. Their musical collaboration dates back to when they both performed at President Obama's inauguration. Though 60 years apart in age, they became fast friends based on their shared love of jazz. Do you find that most of your friends are older than you, younger than you, or within 5 years of you? My friends vary in age from much younger to older.

5) While Lady Gaga grew up listening to Tony Bennett, as a young man Tony recalled listening to Bing Crosby, Judy Garland and Joe Venuti. Which singers did you enjoy during your teen years? 

Elvis, Marvin Gaye, the Supremes, the Young Rascals, The Beach Boys.

6) While he's famous for singing about San Francisco, Tony is a proud son of New York. Born in Queens, he chose to end his career at Radio City Music Hall and was excited to perform "New York State of Mind" with Billy Joel at Shea Stadium in 2008. Do you have a favorite Billy Joel song? 

I’m not really a follower of his music, but do like Uptown Girl.

7) Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra may have been competitors but they shared mutual admiration. Sinatra called Bennett "the best singer in the business," and Bennett did a Sinatra homage album called Perfectly Frank. Think of people you have worked with over the years. Tell us about someone who has impressed you, and why.

At my last job, I worked with a woman whom I alternately admired and who also could irritate me. She was what I consider a true servant in her job without being a doormat. Everyone knew her personality and respected her greatly even though she might appear to be hard to get along with sometimes. She knew how to set boundaries and she worked for the big picture. This wonderful lady showed great grace to me many, many times and I was truly sorry when she passed away.

8) The 1970s were a difficult period for Tony. During the days of disco and Studio 54, he said singing new songs made him feel like his mother, a talented seamstress, when she was forced to make a cheap dress. OK, so Tony doesn't like disco! Is there a genre of music you just don't care for? 

That would be rap and hard rock.

9) Random question: Imagine you're the passenger in a long car ride. Are you more likely to be calm or fidgety? 

It depends on who’s driving and maybe who else is in the car. If I feel a little nervous about their driving, I will be fidgety. It’s all about my confidence in their driving. If that’s good, I can read, sleep, or talk as we travel.


10 comments:

Songbird said...

I’m not much of fan of rap either.

The Gal Herself said...

"It's a beautiful morning!" Oh! I haven't thought of The Young Rascals in a while, but I enjoyed them, too. Thanks for reminding me.

Me, Myself, and I said...

Ahhhh, Marvin Gaye and the Supremes. Love me some Motown :)

Lori said...

I would love to take a ride on the Orient Express. How cool! I am not much of a fan of rap either. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Bev Sykes said...

I hope you get to see San Francisco eventually. My favorite city.

Susan said...

Looks like we had a lot of the same answers. That train ride must have been wonderful!!! Love Marvin Gaye!

Visits With Mary said...

Although I've never been a fan of Tony Bennett I did love the song. I also liked your last answer, it all depends on who is driving!! A ride on the Orient Express ~ WoW !!!

CountryDew said...

Your coworker sounds like someone to admire. Thanks for sharing that.

Terri D said...

Very similar answers today, especially about the driving! LOL I enjoyed my visit here, and wish you a blessed Sunday! xo

Sandi said...

"This wonderful lady showed great grace to me many, many times and I was truly sorry when she passed away."

What a wonderful way to be remembered!