On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Saturday, July 11, 2020

Saturday 9



Saturday 9: 77 Sunset Strip (1958)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) 77 Sunset Strip was one of TV's early hits, running for six seasons. Before this morning, were you familiar with this show? Yes, my parents watched this show and so, of course, we did also. All I remember about it is the theme song and Kookie, lend me your comb.

2) The show's jazzy theme is punctuated by finger snaps. When you snap your fingers, is the left-handed snap as loud as your right-handed snap? Left hand is weaker.

3) The show revolved around Bailey and Spencer Investigations. Stu Bailey and Jeff Spencer were among TV first "private eyes." Who is your all-time favorite TV PI? Maybe Columbo?

4) Their office had "a fancy label," meaning an attractive address, on Los Angeles' Sunset Blvd. Tell us about the prestige area of your neighborhood. Our neighborhood is a nice neighborhood, but I wouldn't say it was prestigious.

5) Next door was Dino's Lodge, the real-life restaurant and bar owned by entertainer Dean Martin. Are you a Dean Martin fan? I remember liking Dean Martin, but wouldn't say I was a fan.

6) The valet at Dino's was Kookie. He was known for his perfect hair, his slang ("ginchy" meant cool, "germsville" was the hospital, "a dark seven" was a bad week) and his desire to someday be a private investigator, like Stu and Jeff. Do you think you'd be a good detective? In my job as paralegal many, many years ago, before the Internet and Google, one of my jobs was to locate deadbeat debtors. I was pretty good at skip-tracing and later, that experience aided me in tracking down and researching material for my future employer.

7) Stu and Jeff had a loyal secretary named Suzanne, played by French actress Jacqueline Beer. In real life, she was married to adventurer Thor Heyerdahl, who famously traveled from Peru to French Polynesia by raft. Does 100 days on a raft, sailing the south seas, sound fascinating to you? NO!!

8) Clint Eastwood was fan of the show and, in the 1990s, tried unsuccessfully to bring 77 Sunset Strip back. Is there a show from the past you'd like to see "rebooted?" I can't think of any. It never seems to work.

9) Random question: Thinking about the last week, did you nag anyone? No. Or were you the one who was nagged? Not! Although in trying to empty out my house of non-essentials, one of my friends came to help and she was quite ruthless in telling me what should probably go. Sentimental old me may have held on to some of those things.




12 comments:

The Gal Herself said...

So far, none of us sounds thrilled about hopping on that raft.

Before I read your post, I'd never heard the term, "skip-tracing." I looked it up and I bet it was much harder before the internet put so much at our fingertips.

Mevely317 said...

Columbo was my first thought, too. I loved that show, but hope no-one decides to 'reboot' it with another actor like they've done with Magnum PI and others. I'm chuckling at this old video ... good times! (Did you see the one of them singing this in 2015? Aaaargggh!) Wishing you a great day!

CountryDew said...

I hadn't considered the legal aspects. I used to be a legal secretary and did some of that type of thing, too, occasionally. Detective work is an interesting skill set with lots of parameters.

Chatty Crone said...

I didn't know you were a legal secretary. You must have seen a lot of things. I guess my favorite show was Matlock - I guess it is not really a detective show tho. Didn't really watch 77 Sunset Strip. ♥ sandie

Lori said...

It is so easy for other people to go into another person's home and tell them to throw things away. I was like that helping my mom clean up. I tried not to be crazy about having her throw things away. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Terri D said...

What an interesting job you had skip-tracing!! I would have enjoyed that too, I think! I also said Columbo and then pointed out that he was a police detective, not a PI but he is still my favorite!! Having help cleaning out is probably a good thing. Hang on to that friend!! Happy weekend! xo

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh I remember "Cookie, Cookie, lend me your comb". That is all I remember too. LOL. And the finger snapping. My left is stronger than my right, since I am left handed. Having a friend help you clean out is a nice idea, but I don't know if I would still be friends with the person after all was said and done. LOL. I am the most sentimental person, and my house shows it. I thought moving would help, but it didn't do much. Maybe you will have better luck with the downsizing than I did. Sometimes we just have to close our eyes and let it go. Have a wonderful week...

songbird's crazy world said...

Skip tracing is a wonderful skill. Much easier these days with the internet, of course.

Wanda said...

Fun memories of those old TV shows. We watched 77 Sunset Strip, and the comb...before Fanzie and the comb.

Stacy said...

Yay! Another Columbo fan. I just love watching him play with the guilty party and they never know they're being played.
Wow, you've got a good basis for being a PI! I hear a lot of it is online these days so you would be great at it.
I sort of wish someone would come and be quite ruthless in hoeing out some of my clutter.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Susan said...

I enjoyed your answers. I would have a hard time letting things go. I try to go through stuff and end up keeping most of it. My daughter says if I don't do it, she will. I told her when I am gone, go for it. But if you have to move, it is harder.

Danny Scott said...

INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,, I GOT SOMETHING NEW
Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

See how it works
Do you know you can hack into any Credit cards machine with a hacked Credit cards??
Make up your mind before applying, straight deal...

Order for a blank Credit cards now and get millions within a week!: contact us
via email address:: {Legitblankcardsonline@gmail.com}

We have specially programmed Credits Cards that can be use to hack Credit cards Machines
Nation Wide, the Credits Cards can be used to withdraw at any Credits Cards or swipe Machines, at
Stores and POS Machines. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
buyers worldwide, the Credit Card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 at any Credit cards Machines
and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
you order for. Credits Cards Can also be used in any other cyber hack{Services}, we are here for you anytime any day.

Here is our price lists for the Credits Cards:

Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $250 USD
Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD


make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
email address:: {Legitblankcardsonline@gmail.com} Or
Add us on Whatsapp [+13473848100]