On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Wednesday ... a Relative Medley

Wednesday has faithfully rolled around again and you know that means it's Wednesday Medley time with Terri, Our Friend from Florida. This week is National Cousins Day and I'm guessing everybody has some good answers to share about cousins.

1.  What can you tell us about your cousins, please, or someone who is close like a cousin? I had many cousins and we visited them frequently when I was growing up. They lived a couple of hours away from us and since my parents had been the ones to leave their hometown, I guess the burden was on them to keep up the visits. My mother’s side of the family did visit us frequently. Some of my best times were spent with cousin Charlene. 


Me with the ugly face, Charlene and her brothers, and Leonard Dean,
with Grandpa and Grandma, way out in the hills of Arkansas.


2.  Do you still see your cousins and will you contact them on National Cousins Day?  Many of my first cousins have passed, and the cousins who still live in Arkansas are even farther in distance than back then. I seldom see them, but keep up on Facebook. I am so glad for Facebook for that reason and will definitely give a shout out to them on National Cousins Day. 

3.  Terri had a favorite aunt and uncle she will tell us about.  How about you? It is a toss-up between Nancy and Gene, Sonny and Dolly, and aunt Opal. All of them were good aunts and uncles in their own special ways. Aunt Opal’s house was always fun and laughter. She made outfits for my sister and me and my cousin Charlene. The others were younger and it was fun to visit them and play with their babies, taking them for walks, swinging them around, dancing with them. So sad, I pulled little Jo’s arm out of the socket. Except for a cousin one year older than me, I am the oldest of the cousins now, and the oldest of the girls.



Aunt Nancy and me.
Nancy's beautiful daughters, Jo and Linda, 
a couple of my younger cousins

4.  Did/does your family have reunions and can you tell us about them? They used to, but not anymore. I guess it was too much work or lack of interest. I don’t know, but it makes me sad. The cousins who live there and grew up together have enjoyed common interests, weddings, babies, etc. and of course, I didn’t get to be part of that being so far away.  

5.  If you have children, are they enjoying relationships with their cousins, aunts, uncles? My bonus kids, Sara and Jason, along with their spouses, Barrett and Amy, have many cousins and their families have big reunions. The grandkids enjoy cousin relationships even more so, for which I am happy for them. They are making great memories. 



6.  Tell us something random about your week so far.

Not too much to tell here. We are having a birthday gathering this evening (Tuesday) which I am looking forward to. Cindy wants to make her own birthday cake … hmmm. I will make blueberry sauce for the ice cream. Kate texted asking to come over, so after the men’s breakfast on Wednesday, I will go get her. As I write this, I am getting ready to attend a workshop on writing your story/testimony. I’m curious about how that will work as I share my life changing moments. Since I am not one who enjoys making any kind of presentation in front of a group, especially strangers, I’m a little apprehensive.

9 comments:

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

As my mother's mother lived with us until her death when I was nine, we were usually the gathering place for reunions, which didn't happen very often. I knew my older cousins but not well. Many of them, with the exception of the ones I mentioned, were more my mother's age. When our children were young, they and their cousins were very close, but time, life and distance takes its toll on relationships. Thanks to FB we can all stay up with each other. I hope your little ones will remain close as they grow. This was an enjoyable blog this week and as always I enjoy yours. I would love to read your testimony when you complete it.

Mevely317 said...

How blessed you were/are, surrounded by all that love. Maybe on account we're about the same age, I particularly enjoy your black-and-white photos.

One of the most pivotal years in my life was studying Life History writing, so I hope you'll share more about this workshop!

Terri D said...

Thanks for joining the Medley today and sharing so many wonderful photos and precious memories! I'm glad to read that your younger generation is enjoying being cousins and staying close. It doesn't happen often these days. Enjoy the birthday party and please share more about the workshop!!

Loris Glassworks said...

Love your photos! Thanks for sharing.
Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

Jodi said...

Love your photos. Have a great Wednesday!

Susie said...

I love seeing the black/white photos of your youth. I always love seeing the little kids. Squeeze them and tell them you love them...they are growing up too fast. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Chatty Crone said...

That is so nice you are close to your cousins and they you! I do understand what you say - when my mom was here we were closer to my cousins, but somehow that all changed. I have to say we are all spread around the US and I would know how to reach them, but I do not really know them!

Debby Ray said...

Loved seeing these photos...I especially love the old black and white ones...such a simpler life back then, huh? Yes, I agree about Facebook...it is such a great way to reconnect with those (family or not) that we have lost contact with over the years. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Aloha Acres said...

Loved the photos, especially the old black and white ones. I wish more people took photos. I'd love to have some from my time growing up