On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Wednesday Medley and All Kinds of Fun



One of the more popular rituals was harvesting flowers and giving them to neighbors and strangers in cone-shaped baskets. These “May Baskets” become more commonly known as “May Day Baskets”. The current tradition is observed by hanging a cone-shaped basket full of flowers or other gifts on the outside doorknob, then knocking or ringing the doorbell and run away.

(The above paragraph is an excerpt from the National Calendar which is on Terri's page.) Here is a basket of flowers for all to enjoy!




1. Ahhh... May Day!! Happy May! Did you celebrate this when you were a child by dancing around a Maypole or leaving flowers on someone's porch? 

Mom told us they celebrated around a Maypole when she was a youngster. We did not celebrate May Day with flowers, but rather May 1 was when Mom declared "Barefoot Day"! Yay! Kids get to take off their shoes and free those feet for the summer!!

Looks like my sister and me were a little too free in this pic!

Will you be celebrating a special occasion in May? My birthday! And the memory of my sweet mom on Mother's Day!

2. National Mother Goose Day was founded in 1987. Can you name a nursery rhyme that would fit your life as it was in 1987? I couldn't think of one that fit 1987, so I did a search and found one that comes very close.

One for sorrow,
Two for mirth,
Three for a wedding,
And four for death

One for sorrow - my brother's bone marrow transplant.
Two for mirth - My two year old nephew was our joy during that time.
Three for a wedding - DH and I were married in 1987
Four for death - my precious mom passed away.

If you are a youngster and not yet born in 1987, you may pass, of course, but do you have a favorite nursery rhyme? HERE is a list of nursery rhymes.


I liked almost all the nursery rhymes and so it's difficult to think of a favorite. 

Until I was an adult, I never realized the dark meaning of Ring Around the Rosy, which had to do with the black plague. 

3. National Chocolate Parfait Day is also honored on this day. Parfait means perfect in French. Tell us about a perfect day, in your mind, and would/could it end with a chocolate parfait?

A perfect day would be a great cup of coffee with my morning devotions, mild temperatures, sunshine, no wind, a walk with my dog, sitting out on the patio with my husband, an evening with friends, and a good meal! And yes! I will have a chocolate parfait to top off all of that perfect day! (Truthfully, a perfect day does not have to have all of the described elements. A day with my Dear Heart at home with food on the table and a roof over our head on a cold or rainy day is also a perfect day.)


4. National School Principal's Day was founded to celebrate these school administrators who support and guide quality teachers and staff to provide productive learning environments for our children. Did you have a good Principal when you were in school? Yes.
Do you remember his/her name? Mr. Bays, who also served in the armed forces!

5. And perhaps the most important one is Silver Star Service Banner Day which honors the sacrifices of the combat wounded, ill, and dying service members from all branches of the military. Do you have family members who have served this country in uniform? Tell us about them, if you will.

My Dad, my husband, and several relatives and friends. More recently, both my nephews have served in the army. Chase graduated from West Point, became an Army Ranger, Green Beret and served in special forces in the Middle East. He has gone on to another government job and we are very proud of him. It was his dream to serve in the Army since he was a child. Billy is presently serving as captain who trains new recruits, I believe. He is getting ready to have a change of command this month and we may attend that ceremony. All of these men and women who serve are heroes! So are their families!

Returning from one of his deployments

Soul man Billy and his wife, Crystal served in Seoul for two years!

6. It's Hump Day! How is your week going so far?

It is a good week so far. We had Kate all weekend and she was a pleasure. Monday I tried to go shopping for a new purse and some other items, but it was "Operation Fail" when I realized I left the credit card at home. Yes, sure, I could have written a check, but using the card helps me track where money is spent and also we get cash rewards!! Today was a follow-up visit for DH with the cardiologist, Ladies of Grace, haircut time for DH, and tonight we will go see a Tony Evans special movie called Kingdom Men Rising. Looking forward to that.

10 comments:

Jodi said...

Barefoot day... love that!!! Good looking soldiers!! Have a great Wednesday!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

This was such an interesting post. Loved the picture of you and your sister as I have several of me and my sister wearing only the little panties with ruffles that little girls wore back then. There was nothing unusual about running around topless at all. I had forgotten about the meaning about "Ring Around the Rosy." I have learned that so many of the favorite nursery rhymes and fairy tales have very interesting and somewhat questionable origins. I'm anxious to hear about the Tony Evans movie. Enjoy your May Day!

Debby Ray said...

I loved the pic of your and your sis exercising you "freedom"...LOL! Loved going barefoot on those summer days and feeling the cool grass under my feet...still do! Great post, Connie!

Visits With Mary said...

I love being barefoot and stay that way most of the time. That is a sweet picture of you and your sister...precious memories!! Happy May Day

Terri D said...

Happy May!! Barefoot day is a great memory!! Thanks for joining the Medley today! I have enjoyed reading everyone's responses! God bless all those who serve our country and that includes their families! That was quite a story and poem about your 1987.

Chatty Crone said...

I have heard about May Day - never danced around a pole either. I thank everyone who served for us in the military. Do you like Hot Fudge Sundaes? The Cheesecake Factory has one to die for! Yummy!

Stacy said...

Ah, the first barefoot day! I still look forward to that every year. A big thank you to your nephews for their service. A Ranger and a Green Beret...WOW!I hope all went well for your hubby at his checkup. Have fun at the movie!

Mevely317 said...

Aw, I love your definition of a perfect day. Ordinary pleasures are the BEST! I'd never heard the back-story to Ring Around the Rosy - many of Mother Goose's rhymes had dark undertones, didn't they? Your original is great!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Believe it or not, I have NEVER gone barefoot in my life, thus I have the most tender feet on earth. Not sure why, but I cannot stand my feet uncovered. Didn't know the story behind Ring around the Rosey and I played it a lot. Enjoyable post!

Lori said...

Nursery rhymes are so interesting. I was an adult when I learned about their meanings too. Rock a bye baby isn't a real happy one either....hahahahha Loved your answers! Have a nice week.

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/