On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Wednesday Medley and Road Trips

Wednesday has rolled around again and we are getting close to the end of May! Can you believe it? It will be June in a couple of weeks.


1. Have you ever done a spur-of-the-moment road trip?  Yes. Where did it take you?  

Up to Branson a couple of years ago.






2. If time and money wasn't an issue, what roads would you choose to travel and how long would you be gone? 
I would like to travel over to Tennessee and the Appalachian Mountains, then over to Kentucky, Virginia and the Carolinas, to Georgia and then back home. I think it would take maybe at least one month, maybe more.
3. When you go on a long road trip, what snacks and beverages do you take? 
Plenty of water, trail mix,  not too much because I find we usually bring most of it back home. We stop to eat at restaurants when we are hungry and we aren’t really big snackers.  
Do you pack a picnic? Used to when I was younger. Does the back seat turn into a nest?  
Not really … if the dog is with us, her bed will be there, my pink bag full of whatever snacks, a small ice chest. And we've come a long way from this:


4. Please tell us about something interesting or strange you have seen on the side of the road.
Coming back from Lawton in January we saw a man dressed up in shiny, silver armor, like a knight, riding a horse! He was alone, coming up the side of the highway, kind of in the middle of nowhere. Then another sight we saw was an upside down barbecue pit. Since I’m always the driver, it isn’t possible to take pictures of sights we see. 

5. Who does the driving when you head out in the car?  Me, I am the legal driver in our household and while I do enjoy the scenery and sometimes will stop for something, for the most part, I want to "get there", wherever there is

Do you stop in the rest areas along our Interstate highways when you have to use the facilities, or do you choose a fast-food restaurant or gas station instead? Not TMI... inquiring minds want to know!
We choose something like McDonald’s to run inside for pit stop, or a nice gas station so we can fill up the tank and empty the tank. 
6. Please share something with us about your week so far. 

Saturday night we attended a Gospel/Hymn Sing* at a church north of us! It was absolutely wonderful and just what the doctor ordered. Everyone sang along to the songs we grew up with and in between that, there were performances by a couple of quartets, a family of singers, and a couple I remember from the Gaither cruise. It was a fabulous concert and the music was so, so good. My DH was a joy to watch as he sang and laughed at some of the cornball jokes! 
Tuesday was the last Ladies of Grace and we had our spring brunch. It was also my last day for Ladies of Grace in a leadership capacity. I may still visit from time to time. When BSF begins again in September, I will be a group leader for which I am excited, but a little bit "shy" about! I think this is a God-given opportunity and I am looking forward to encouraging and leading a group as I learn and grow from the other leaders!
Great food and decorations!



Sweet ladies all!
Monday I baked a cake for Alice’s birthday as we met them for dinner and they came over Monday evening. It was a pecan pie bundt cake and it was DELISH!! We had fun  playing Mexican Train. I am hoping today to get some ideas from others for a road trip.

*The Gospel Music Hymn Sing has a wonderful project which ministers to people in nursing homes. If you have visited nursing homes as I have, most of the people come alive when they hear the songs and remember all the words to the old hymns they sang in the past. http://gospelmusichymnsing.com/ has made it their mission to supply to every nursing home in the US a copy of their DVD with old, familiar songs. If you are interested, you can see how you can contribute to this on their website … or buy a copy of the DVD for yourself!

10 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

We've hosted hymn sings in our home several times. It's a great time! I've got to Google that pecan pie bundt cake recipe. Sounds wonderful!

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Love your pics! That pecan bundt cake sounds out of this world!! Have a good week.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

The women's luncheon sounds and looks like it was a delightful time for all of you. You will be such a good BSF leader, my friend and I know God will use you. The bundt cake does sound delicious, and if we were eating sweets, it is a recipe I would ask for. Yes, music speaks to one's soul and is one of the last memories to lose, I understand. I had a friend who had Alzheimers for over 20 years and she could still sing many of the old hymns. Blessings to you.

Cathy said...

I love a good gospel hymn sing. My daddy love that kind of music too and almost until the end of his battle with dementia, he could remember the words and still sing the songs. So wonderful.

Mevely317 said...

A Gaither cruise? Oh, that sounds wonderful! I love nursing home ministries like you mention; my late mother would have loved that.
This year is out of the question, but visiting Branson is right up there on my bucket list!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Yes, I may have to search for that cake recipe. It sounds so good. Yes, being a leader for BSF is quite an honor. I've only attended BSF one year but long enough to know that their leaders are just that, LEADERS. I'm sure you will be very good. Have a great rest of the week!

Terri D said...

I found a southern gospel music station on Sirius and listen to it on my way to work. I do sing along occasionally. Be glad you aren't with me! LOL Your Ladies of Grace group was blessed to have you leading them! Thanks for joining the Medley! I would love a road trip to Branson!!

Stacy said...

Thanks for sharing the link for the hymn sing CD. I work in a nursing home, mostly in the dementia unit and we use music a LOT. It does perk up just about any resident, but watching what music can do to a dementia patient is amazing. Science has shown that when they hear music it makes different parts of their brains start firing.

Chatty Crone said...

I want that bundt cake recipe too. I do wish you could come to Georgia. And a gospel sing at church songs like fun. I have never been to Branson but i have always wanted to go. Sandie♥

peppylady (Dora) said...

Hello from Idaho. a cake how yummy anyhow I have a grand daughter name Alice.
If you have time stop in for a cup of coffee