On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Monday, March 25, 2019

Saturday 9 and Mighty Clouds of Joy




Saturday 9: Mighty Clouds of Joy (1974)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here
I remember this song and now I think I need to add it to my Pandora list!
1) This song celebrates serenity. Are you feeling peaceful this morning? 
Yes! I am a peaceful person 95% of the time, I would guesstimate! 
2) The lyrics include allusions to sun and clouds. How does the world look where you are? 
My world is peaceful. 
Is it sunny or cloudy?
As I write this, it is a gorgeous day, perfect blue sky, with fluffy white clouds. The temps are to reach 70 and everything is greening up outside from the recent rains.



3) This week's featured artist, BJ Thomas, is in the Grammy Hall of Fame for another hit record that uses weather as a metaphor, "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head." Make up a Hall of Fame that you believe you should be inducted into. (For example, Crazy Sam has inducted herself into The Meme Mistress Hall of Fame for her service to Saturday 9.)
In light of what our daughter-in-law shared with me the other day, I will say Nonnie has inducted herself into The Baking Cookies for Neighbors Hall of Fame. Amy said that their neighbors are moving and she told Kate that when new neighbors arrive, she will have to bake some cookies to take to them. Kate replied to her, "Mom, if you're gonna give cookies to the neighbors, then you will need to get Nonnie to bake them!"

4) When Crazy Sam hears this song, she always sings along ... loud. Is there a song you simply cannot resist singing along with?
Too many songs that make me sing along and out loud … especially when in the car!! Just about any song from the 50's and 60's, or a good old gospel song to belt out or a praise song! One of the songs from a group called the Mighty Clouds of Joy is one of those gospel praise songs! Everybody Ought to Praise Him!!!


5) BJ Thomas has performed this song at The Grand Ole Opry. The Opry has been broadcast on the radio every week since 1925, nearly 95 years ago! Of course, back in the 1920s, radio was the only broadcast media. Today we have other choices. Is listening to the radio part of your daily routine? 

When I'm in the car, I sometimes tune in to listen to someone like David Jeremiah or Charles Swindoll. If they aren't on, I plug in my phone and listen to my favorites on Pandora, depending on my mood.

6) Though their dress code is lenient, country music fans who attend the Opry for a live show are warned: "Just remember, there's one rule we take very seriously here at the Grand Ole Opry -- you must wear something." Easter Sunday is a day many of us dress up. What will you be wearing today? 

Saturday I will be wearing jeans and a top. On Resurrection Sunday, I will be wearing my Gracekids t-shirt with jeans as I will be serving in preschool. 

7) Easter is recognized as the start of the spring season. What are you looking forward to this spring?

I am looking forward to my brother and sil coming to visit for my birthday! I am also looking forward to visiting the nursery to buy some plants for the patio.

8) Lilies are popular at Easter. Do you have a favorite flower?

I love roses, peonies, bougainvillea, and at Christmas, poinsettias. Seeing the roses bloom in the spring is something I miss.




And watching the peonies pop up out of the ground. Last fall everything in front of the house was dug up due to a water leak. We had new landscaping put in, which I am pleased with, but I noticed yesterday one of the four peonies we had before is making its way up behind a new shrub. Anxious to see how it does. The flowers that come up after such trauma are a kind of picture of how life works for us after difficulties from which we think we can't recover.



Hoping to see some blooms again!






Really, flowers are something I enjoy no matter if it's the wildflowers, bluebonnets, Indian paintbrushes, I think they're beautiful!

9) Which would rather find in your Easter basket: yellow marshmallow chicks (aka Peeps) or a plastic egg filled with pennies? 

No contest … a plastic egg filled with pennies … anything but those Peeps!





11 comments:

The Gal Herself said...

Your flowers are lovely. And how fitting that you shared a clip from Mighty Clouds of Joy!

Stacy said...

The old gospel songs do make you want to sing along, don't they? Oh, peonies...love them, but have never been able to get them to grow here. I don't know why as my neighbor has a gorgeous row of them each spring. Have a blessed and happy Easter!

Jodi said...

Love those flowers. Have a great Easter weekend!

Terri D said...

We could sing along together! Your kind of music is my kind of music! Fun questions on this Saturday. Wishing you and yours a blessed Easter!

Toni said...

I enjoyed this post very much Nonnie. The song is a praise to Jesus and I was singing it along with BJ Thomas. You mentioned the Calla Lillis on my blog being a line by Kathern Hepburn. The movie was "Stage Door" 1937 a boarding house for female actors. Ginger Rogers was in it too. She said that line towards the end in a stage play. I've seen that movie a few times and if it came up again, I would see it again. Hepburn was not a favorite of mine but I loved that movie. Have a blessed Easter Nonnie.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Great answers and what a sweet comment by your granddaughter about you. That will be a sweet memory for her forever. Enjoy your day tomorrow.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

I so enjoyed your Saturday post. Your sweet Kate knows that not only do Nonnie's cookies taste good, they are made full of love. She is smart little "cookie." Happy Easter to you!

Lori said...

Right?? Anything but Peeps!!! Hahahahaha
Your Easter sounds like it will be so much fun! Enjoy and bless you for making cookies for the neighbors! That is just awesome! Loved your answers and have a wonderful Easter!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Mevely317 said...

I'm so glad to hear gifts of homemade cookies haven't gone out of fashion! I'm loving the images you've chosen to accompany your post; that quote by Barbara Johnson resonates. Happy Easter!

Chatty Crone said...

Glad you had a blessed Easter.

I don't know if you noticed, but I've been gone for a couple of weeks - my computer crashed and it has taken me forever to get myself going again and I am totally back yet. I may not go back and answer all your letters, but I am here.

Sandie

Troy S said...

Thaanks for sharing this