On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Wednesday Medley


It's happening! Wednesday Medley!



1.  On November 28th, 1995, President Bill Clinton ended the 55 MPH nationwide speed limit that began in 1974 as an energy saving measure during the Mid-East oil embargo.  If you are old enough to remember this (I sure am) did it make you happy? You better believe it! I was tickled pink!  Do you have a heavy foot when driving or does 55 MPH sound good to you? I always enjoy it when we get to a place where 75 is the speed limit and if you go the loop around Austin, you can drive 80 or 85. I do like to drive fast and all the tickets from the past and the tears shed with the kind police officers I met would testify to that! I do much better now. Cruise Control is the best!



2.  You are home alone on a rainy/snowy Sunday afternoon.  What Christmas movie will you watch? It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story, The Bishop's Wife, The Shop Around the Corner! Any one of those. I'm sure there are others that haven't come to mind just now.



3.  What is something you have tried that you will never try again? Ice skating probably.  I always loved roller skating and would have liked to ice skate more. However, having survived many sports activities, I don't want to break anything at this stage of the game.




4.  Today is National French Toast Day!!  Will you have some?  Oui s'il vous plaît. Do you like French Toast? I do like it. If I had some Texas Toast or French bread, I might make it. Although, hmmmm, I just remembered, we will be eating breakfast out Wednesday morning, so maybe I will order that. Oui! ça m'a l'air bien. I had to look it up and I'm sharing with you a little of the history of French Toast.

"Although we tend to call it French Bread, the dish isn’t known to have come from France. Some ancient Latin recipes from the 4th century mention soaking bread in milk before frying, and in fourteenth Century Germany the term ‘poor knights’ pudding’ was coined for the sweet treat because it was seen as an affordable meal for those without too much money to spend. Today, it’s eaten across the world as a breakfast meal or a sweet snack.
In Italy, there’s a savory version, called ‘mozzarella en carrozza’, which sees the egg-soaked bread sandwiching slices of mozzarella cheese before it is fried. Its name literally means ‘mozzarella in a carriage’. So you can have eggy bread for your main meal, and your pudding!"



5.  The Christmas Tree in Rockefeller Center will be lighted today, as will the one at the White House in Washington, D.C.  Do you have your tree up and is it lighted?  I put up the 4 foot tree upstairs, but I didn't decorate it. I simply enjoy the lights in the early morning and after dark. Have you ever been in New York City or Washington, D.C. to see the trees all lit up during the holidays? No, but I would love to see them.





6.  Tell us something random about this week of yours. Ever since last Thursday, I have been procrastinating about getting up in the attic to bring the Christmas stuff down. I can't seem to get with it. Maybe tomorrow or Thursday. This week seems fairly quiet. We had our Monday night friends over Monday, and Tuesday was Bible study. Wednesday breakfast with our buddies, and this evening, I am going to try the Caregivers Support Group at Prestonwood Baptist. I already attend the Memory Care Support group, Thursday is Bible Study Fellowship and on Saturday Feed the City.




12 comments:

Annsterw said...

I am with you on the ice skating thing! Falling hurts SO bad and I am way too old for that kind of pain - LOL!!! Have a great day!

Visits With Mary said...

I enjoyed reading up on French toast, I always thought it was a French thing. Wherever, it's good!

ellen b. said...

I enjoyed reading your answers. You are busy. Thanks for the background on French toast. Enjoy your breakfast out!
My google account won't take you to my link but the linky at Terri's will. :)

Mevely317 said...

After having almost every kind of tree imaginable, I think the loveliest is just natural with lights … like you mention. I so enjoyed reading those tidbits about French Toast origins!

Cathy said...

I used to ice skate, but I don't think I'll ever do it again or roller skating. Not at this point in my life. lol

Debby Ray said...

Well, you little speed demon, you! I should talk...lol! Thank goodness my hubby brought the decorations in the house. Now I have work cut out for me this weekend! And thanks for all the fun info regarding French toast! Enjoy the rest of your week!

Lori said...

Your french toast picture is killing me! I just love it. Loved your answers! Enjoy the rest of the week.

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Terri D said...

I have been procrastinating the decorating too, but little by little it is getting done. Thank you for joining in today!! I enjoyed your answers!

Chatty Crone said...

I do like the speed limit now. My favorite all time show is It's A Wonderful Life - I live Jimmy Stewart. I played sports and did things like you, but no more. Love French Toast. I Have my tree up and decorated, but i still have more items to get out and I am procrastinating!

Stacy said...

I hope you enjoyed the support group. It is so important to take care of yourself and have good support. I see stressed out caregivers all too often at the home.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

I didn't know that about the history of french bread. Very interesting. I am with you girl, the faster the better. I'll never forget the first time I drove on the loop to San Antonio. I called Dick and told him I was on the Audubon and having a ball. You have a very busy week, but I do hope you get some of your decorating done. I am so glad to have what little I do already done.

Mary said...

My mom broke her buttocks roller skating so I'm not interested in doing anything that could result in broken bones! She suffered from that for the rest of her life.
Not putting ornaments on the tree sounds wonderful. I scaled back last year & this year looks like more of the same.