On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Out With the Old ... In With the Older!


 First, just a little hint of spring in our neighborhood

After my Mom passed away, one of the things I wanted to keep was my great-grandmother's china. I brought the set home to display in my china cabinet. For all these years they have sat there while we used the everyday, practical dishes, Corelle or Chinet. 


It has often occurred to me that this just isn't right. These dishes should be used. My grandmother used them. (I do remember the time she tricked (deceived) us kids by serving fried rabbit on our plates. We thought that chicken had really big legs!) My Mother only used the dishes occasionally. I want to utilize them now because it's highly unlikely that anyone after me will want them and they will probably end up in a thrift shop somewhere.

So, out with the everyday and off to the local thrift shop!

 The old

In with the set from Grandmother Sanders. This set may not be so valuable in monetary terms, but they are precious to me because they were hers, my Granny's and my Mom's. Using them will be a visible reminder of the loved ones before me who nourished me with love, faithfulness and guidance (and good eats!)

The oldest


The dishes now repose in the everyday cabinet ready to use. And they were used last evening. A beautiful ribeye steak cooked just right, roasted sweet potatoes and green beans were the fare to celebrate! Why do I never think to take pictures at the right time? The food was really pretty! :-)


Pictured below is a set of stoneware that I purchased when I married 46 years ago. They've seldom been used, DH dislikes them very much because they are so heavy, and so they have been residing in the bottom of the china cabinet. 

The in-between has been promoted to the top shelf
in the hutch.




This probably wouldn't have been blog worthy for me except for the fact that I seem to remember reading a poem or an article somewhere about waiting to do things. Waiting to travel, waiting to use certain items for certain occasions, putting off doing things in general, waiting for the right time. I will say that we have done our share of traveling, but I've noticed about myself that I put off a lot of things for the right time. Now I see that we are getting older, times are getting harder, I want even more to enjoy the life I have today. I argue for myself that I have enjoyed my life, but the age old question still remains. Have I used it to the fullest? I won't look back. Lot's wife did and she was stopped in her tracks! I press forward and on for the prize. Press on. Press on. These dishes can be one of my simple reminders.




3 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

The china is lovely. That is a pattern I would have bought years ago. Mine is very floral and we seldom use it! Right, we need to live for today.....

Terri D said...

Good for you! I have our "good" china in a cabinet and it hasn't seen daylight in over five years. Ridiculous. Why do we do that? Your grandmother's dishes are lovely and I bet she is smiling down, knowing you are using her dishes and thinking of her (and your mom). Beautiful post.

Denise said...

lovely china.