On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Friday, February 12, 2016

Friday Tidbits and Ordinary Days


These past few weeks have been fairly routine and the kind of days you call ordinary. Nothing exciting. But hey, ordinary days are good. No one is sick, lovely weather, absolutely nothing to complain about. Pleasant things going on, Bible studies, good books to read, lunches and dinners with friends, a Glenn Miller concert this weekend, and MORE Downton Abbey.
There really hasn't been much to blog about, but since this is a journal of life, I think recording the ordinary days is a good thing. These are beautiful days.

Six years ago it looked like this outside!! Wow!

Getting things done around here! My dishwasher is now working and my counters are no longer covered with dishes draining dry.

And ... yesterday ... drum roll ... A new hot water heater was installed. Our old hot water heater was the original (18 years) and, although it was still working fine, the fact that the builders had installed it in the attic (how crazy is that) made me nervous thinking that it might burst at any time. This actually happened to one of my neighbors while they were on vacation and their house was damaged to the extent of them having to move out while the house was pretty much overhauled both up and downstairs. Yikes! One of my worst nightmares creeping across my mind at night. We replaced it with a tankless water heater and that takes a huge weight off my mind, out of the attic and yes, it took a big chunk out of the old bank account. But I think it will be worth it in the long run as it will be more efficient and also now I'm relieved of that probable bursting scenario. The plumber told me the old tank was filled with sediments eating away at the glass and that we were fortunate to have so been proactive. 

Only other news around here is that we will be going on a cruise which I will tell all about when we return. I'm not sure how I somehow manage to pick vacation spots where some big happenings or threats are going on. Zika! I think the good news for me is that I'm too old to be pregnant. Bad news is mosquitoes seem to be drawn to me so I'm thinking I will have to pack lots of bug repellent with me.

On a more pleasant and surprising note, I actually sat down at the piano last week and played through my simple songbook. Most enjoyable ...even if not every note perfectly played.


Valentine's Day when we were kids was always something to look forward to. Remembering all the sweet paper bags we decorated with hearts and hung on the wall at school in excited anticipation of all the valentines we would receive from our friends. No matter that the ones we received would most likely look very much like the ones we had put in their bags. Lol! Be mine. Kiss me. Little candy hearts. Heart shaped cookies baked by homeroom mothers.


Silly ones

Cute ones for all

For someone special

Happy Valentines Weekend! We will be going to the concert I mentioned above, which should be good. And Kate will be spending the night tonight. My plan is for us to make valentine cookies.

DH and I always make homemade valentines (and all our cards) for each other. This year I actually put a stamp on the envelope and put his in the mailbox. Won't he be surprised to receive his valentine in the mail? The postman may be confused. Wonder if he will pick it up and take it to the post office for postmark or if he will just slip it back in the box?

Here is an old valentine I made one year very quickly as I had waited until the last minute! It was too large so I had to scan it in quarters, (and don't know how to piece it together) so it looks a little weird.



And last, but not least, mentioning the little candy hearts with cute sayings brought this old valentine acrostic to mind. It is my favorite Valentine!





5 comments:

R's Rue said...

Thanks
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Susie said...

Nonnie, I would probably have to be covered in tar for a mosquito to pass me by. LOL...so I feel for you. Glad you took care of that water heater...I would have been worried too. I loved your home made valentine. Blessings for agreat weekend, xoxo,Susie

Karen said...

I loved your post today, Nonnie. I always looked forward to the valentine mailboxes in elementary school! The John 3:16 acrostic is great. I will have to show my granddaughter. Have a great valentine weekend.

Denise said...

enjoy your valentine weekend, be blessed

Aloha Acres said...

Love the valentine! <3