On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Friday, July 5, 2019

Wednesday Medley Kaboom!

A Happy 4th to all and may we celebrate our freedoms today with a gusto being grateful to those who went before us to grasp hold of and even die for that freedom.


Terri has your All-American type questions for this holiday, so grab them right here, answer on your blog, and come back tomorrow to link up with the other Meddlers so we can visit each other!

1.  Please share a favorite July 4th memory with us.

Memories of the 4th of July include hot dogs, homemade ice cream and watermelon, playing croquet, watching fireworks, hearing the kids ooh and ahh over each one because “that’s my favorite!” Well, maybe that is a medley of my favorites over the years. 

We spent a few 4ths with family in Arkansas … either the White River or the War Eagle River. After a day at the War Eagle River, we were all "cooked." Coppertone was not something packed into our bags. A picnic lunch and fun in the river all day, and the torture that night sharing a twin bed with my sister … no AC in my aunt's house.  We suffered terribly all through the night with our sunburns and  stinky feet in each other's faces as that was the only way we could fit that bed. Huge, thick shade trees whose branches hung over the White River made for some really cool fun as we kids swam and my uncle cooked hamburgers and hot dogs over the camp fire!  One year (I was 13) Daddy decided to take the family to a drive-in movie which was something we never did, and that was the only time! But there were three westerns showing (John Wayne, James Stewart and Gary Cooper) and so we all packed into the ’59 Impala for a night at the movies. Too hot … too long … not fun! (Sorry, I can never just share "one" thing!)

2.  How do you plan to spend tomorrow?  If you are working, will you celebrate later?

We are going to a friend’s home for food and pool party! I miss the days of the kids being here for fireworks, but they are growing up and have bigger and better offers these days!

Sara with Baby Jack
Slippin' and slidin'

Cute memory of Noah!


4th at our house … those were the days!

3.  Is there a favorite food always reserved for your 4th of July celebration?

Don’t you have to have hamburgers, baked beans, deviled eggs and potato salad to make it official? I used to make a coconut cake topped with blueberries and strawberries … red, white, blue.

4.  In Florida, you can buy all kinds of fireworks, including some that fly high and burst into pretty cascades.  Are fireworks legal in your state/community and does anyone you know put on a display for your neighborhood? 

Ours and every community around us offers spectacular fireworks shows. For us, the fireworks display is usually at the park across the cove and we have a perfect view. However, this year the lake is up too high and so they have moved the show to a different location so we are going to have to figure out where to go to watch them … if we do.
When we were kids, Daddy would buy a bunch of fireworks and sparklers and we were able to shoot them in our front yard. We played with the sparklers … he did the fireworks. It is against the law in the communities in the metroplex area (Dallas/Fort Worth).

5.  Do you have a favorite movie that you always watch sometime during the 4th of July?

Yankee Doodle Dandy is usually a good one.

6.  Share something from your week, please.

It’s quiet on the home front. My new flat screen TV was installed today and that is pretty exciting as the one I have in my upstairs living area had a flawed screen (I'm pretty far behind the times with TV). After all these years, just finally decided it might be okay for me to have a nice one! 
We went with friends last night to dinner and there were six of us. We were having such a great time laughing and being silly that I think we caused some confusion to our wait person when we ordered our food. When we finished ordering, she told us her name was Peggy Sue and to let her know if we needed anything. Of course we had to say the first stanza of "Pretty, pretty Peggy Sue" and from that moment on, she acted as though she was very annoyed with us and continued to have an attitude the rest of the evening. I guess she hears that every time she says her name. (People always ask me how tall I am and did I play basketball, so I know it can get old.) She messed up the checks for the other two couples, but I gave her a nice tip and wrote a little note to her on our check letting her know we felt we had offended her and had certainly not intended to. (Now I wonder if I should have done that, the others said she should have been able to handle it because we were not rude.)



12 comments:

Stacy said...

I am not always thrilled with how the holidays (not just the 4th) are changing. When I was growing up my dad instilled a love of all holidays and that holidays meant family gatherings. Family always trumped anything else. But the world has changed and families are spread all over the place and busier than ever, so.....

Ours will all be here for a late day picnic after my husband and I get home from work. It won't be the same, but I'll take it and be glad we're together at all.

Have a safe and happy 4th!

songbird's crazy world said...

Yankee Doodle Dandy. I love that movie but haven’t seen it in years

Schotzy said...

I love yoour account of yur favorite Fourths in the past.. Homemade lemonade and ice cream and a gamd of croquet... reminds me of growing up ! Loved that!!!Yes, our one and onl;py child lives in Boston so our fourths are very quiet these days.

Jodi said...

Watching the fireworks don't feel the same now that the boys are grown and on their own. So its usually just another quiet day for us. Have a great 4th!

Lori said...

I hope you are able to ind some fireworks to watch. We do not really bother too much anymore. Josh does not like the noise and my dogs are scared to death of fireworks. They do better if we are all in the house. Loved your answers! Have a Happy 4th of July!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Debby Ray said...

Your favorite 4th of July memories all sounded like so much fun! I miss those days! It really is amazing to watch a flat screen TV over the older kind. We waiting quite a while to get one after they first came out and was amazed at the difference in the picture! Have a wonderful 4th, Connie!

Debby Ray said...

And I never knew you were tall! I'm not!!! :D

Allstarme79 said...

In our neighborhood last year, the lake was too low and we couldn't have fireworks!

Mevely317 said...

Your childhood memories made me smile! I remember the first (and only) drive-in theater we went to … somewhere in the HOT, MUGGY south while on vacation. My dad bought one of those mosquito coils that you'd light and set on the floor board. Ugh.

I think your writing your waitress that little note is so sweet. My 'real' name is Myra, and when the song Elvira came out people would sing to me, Elmyra. Grrrr. I'll bet your gesture meant a lot to her.

Chatty Crone said...

You have wonderful childhood memories there - and may there be more to come!

Terri D said...

Gosh, I haven't watched Yankee Doodle Dandy in years. Such a great oldie!!Thanks for joining the Medley today!! I have enjoyed reading about celebrations from the past and learning that we all seem to love deviled eggs, hamburgers, hotdogs, and potato salad! Loved seeing your photos of the kiddos and their smiling faces! Happy 4th!

Becki said...

Your drive-in memory sounds so vivid! We try to catch a drive-in movie each summer with our kids, but not usually til later in the summer so it might not be so hot out. Enjoy your new tv!!